Search for content in message boards

Michael CARROLL, b/1820 in Ireland >> Braxton Co.,WV.

Replies: 14

Re: Michael CARROLL, b/1820 in Ireland >> Braxton Co.,WV.

Posted: 7 Aug 2010 10:45AM GMT
Classification: Query
Further to my email to you earlier, we have death certificate (he died of typhoid fever), muster roll for his regiment in the Civil War, pension information, documents indicating that Elizabeth was filing for a widows pension based on his injuries in the Civil War "sunstroke" and "running sore in his leg" which left him unable to farm. Jay may have the marriage license, I can't find it. I have photos of his grave and a picture of the church where the cemetery is. A photo of what I believe is the church that Phillip was directly instrumental in building - his land/his force. A story about how Phillip died (injury to the head from an overhead equipment - possibly a pulley -while at work. I believe the land passed thru to Paddy after Elizabeth died. And as Paddy was older, he asked his daughter to care for him and he would leave the land to her. It is still in the Armstrong family - who reside in Charleston SC I'm told. There is a family album with the Stonestreet/Prince relatives ...255 pages of photos which might have our ancestors. I have not made that connection. My uncle visited the land in Braxton - Paddy's house is gone - but his daughter's house still stands but in ill repair. I will go there in October to see if I can find it. Maybe between the 3 of us, we can put it all together. I've had no luck researching the parents other than they have been stated to be John O'Carroll and Fanora. Michael came over in 1846 per my findings...I believe it was on the Liverpool. I believe a year later, he sent for his brother, James & wife, as they are the only 2 Irish with the Carroll name in Braxton. My uncle Jay (around 85 years old) remember some stories -- i.e., Michael took some gold from a church to buy his passage to US (times were tough...they were starving) and came over "as a boy" with some "other people" who went on to Ohio. My Uncle Ken (around age 85) remembers that he came over because of the potato famine (that would after be 1845 fall of the year). I think that "boy" may be from an old person's perspective because Michael's gravestone says born 1821 -- therefore he could not be a boy if that is all true. The census I found listed only 2 Irishmen in the area - living closely - both with the same last name. In those days, they worked to bring over additional relatives. I believe it is his brother. I found a slave census with 3 slaves belonging to Elizabeth. Her father owned a hotel - they may have been well to do as a healthy male slave cost about $1000. She had an 18 y/o male, a 23 y/o female and a 45 y/o female. No names were assigned the slaves in the census report of those days.

We must talk! Want to set up a time soon to speak?

SubjectAuthorDate Posted
mcpickle5 7 Aug 2010 3:35AM GMT 
caroldixon195... 7 Aug 2010 4:45PM GMT 
Cardalum76 19 Mar 2012 2:27AM GMT 
mcpickle5 19 Mar 2012 3:04AM GMT 
caroldixon195... 1 Nov 2013 8:18PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic