Search for content in message boards

John Cary (Rensselaer and Columbia Counties, NY)

Replies: 0

John Cary (Rensselaer and Columbia Counties, NY)

Posted: 10 May 2012 5:04AM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 10 May 2012 1:52PM GMT
Surnames: Cary
My great-great-great grandfather, Joshua Cary was born 1808 in Albany County, NY and lived all his adult life in Otsego County, NY. His father was John Cary who was born in New York possibly between the years 1765-1790.

I have searched many different families and tried to get a connection to any John Cary's. I haven't found any information on a John Cary in Albany or Otsego County; therefore, I've decided to look into the counties surrounding Otsego and Albany Counties and the census' between 1800-1830. The last census I have with Joshua in it is 1840 and his first child was born in 1831. So in 1830 and before that he must have been with his parents or a family member.

I've found a John Cary in the 1810 census of Hillsdale, Columbia, NY with one son and a daughter. The son is in the right age group to be my Joshua Cary. Then in 1820 I found another John Cary in Pettersburg, Rensselaer, NY with 2 sons and one daughter. One son being in the right age group to be my Joshua Cary. I guess John could have moved in the 10 years. I would like to know if this is the same John Cary in both census' and if anyone has any more information about him and his family. Or any suggestions where I can find more information that may lead me to know if he's the John I'm looking for or if I can cross him off my list too. I don't know where he is in 1830 or where he was in 1800. Any help would be great.

Thanks
Paula Cary

Find a board about a specific topic