Search for content in message boards

Case family, Meigs Co. OH

Replies: 5
Posted: 16 Jan 2001 2:33PM GMT
Edited: 3 Aug 2003 11:31PM GMT
In a copy of some Tryphena Reasoner letter's is one that looks like it might relate to your Case family. I don't have the source and can't verify anything here.

"This next letter which is in the possession of Frank Merrill Reasoner of East Maple St. Bellingham, Wa. He is a son of Henry Arba Reasoner, son of J.S. Reasoner etc. This letter was copied by his daughter Eleanor Reasoner Feb 14, 1932. It was one of the old style which was folded and sealed. The address was written upon the back and a notation made of the amount of postage, paid. 1st is given the outside and then the contents. (copied this material some time in the 1940's)

Gallipolis Ohio Sept 20, 1823 25c Mr. Francis Northway Campbell Town Steuben Co,State of N.Y. Sudbury Sept 17,1823

Very dear Sister: I received your letter which you wrote to me, just perused it and let Dr. Knowles take it and it was the last I have seen it. I am now about 150 miles from (above) Cincinnati by water and about 130 from Knowleses.

I have been sick ever since the 1st of last May. I was taken with the bilious fever, it was turned to the ague and have had that ever since except a few days at a time the ague left me. It is the most sickly time in my life, I ever knew here at Marietta where they have 15 or 20 stored they have shut all but one and scarcely one house in town but what there are some sick. And for 20 miles on the road there are not more than two families that can say they are well and many are all sick and many dying daily.

I have been blest with my health since I have been in this country until this season. I have been trading on the Ohio River much of the time and I have been here and am at Cincinnati as mush as any other place, as this is the place I
trade at. I have been at Knowles last July and they were all well but Esther she was sick when I was there and expecting every day to be sicker.

Luther and Maria were both married last new year. Maria married well and Luther a good decent girl out of a respectable family though poor. Alonso is studying law and bids fair to make a bright lawyer. He and Luther have both joined the Methodist Church.

I should be glad to have an interview with you as I used to in Vermont where all was peace and harmony but I must be resigned to my lot let it be what it may. I have thought more of you this summer than I have all the time I have been here before but have not heard anything from you since your last letter. But hope that after you receive this I shall have a letter immediately from you.

I have again settled myself for life, was married the 10th day of last month to Miss Chloe Marian Sisson and she is now very sick with the fever. She was taken last Friday, the 4th day after we got to keeping house and this is the 5th day of her sickness. I hope for the best but do nor know how it will terminate.

I read a letter written from Dav. T. untridy(?) to Mrs. Hill in which he wrote that ma was well. He also wrote of the death of his mother and she that was so sick (?) Sibly but not a word about brother S.P. Armelin (?) neither of any of
our relatives.
I have scarcely heard from Rachel since I left Vermont. Crops in this part of the country have come in rather light this season. My paper is written. I must bid you Adieu. Yours affectionately Luther Case
Give my love to all inquiring friends if any and write the 1st opportunity and direct your letter to Cincinnati or Galliapolis, Ohio "
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
@@welshedward... 31 Jan 2000 1:02PM GMT 
oakesquest 7 Aug 2000 12:43AM GMT 
@@welshedward... 22 Aug 2000 8:56PM GMT 
VickieKapphah... 16 Jan 2001 9:33PM GMT 
patlhogan 25 Apr 2007 5:47PM GMT 
SuzE2300 24 Apr 2007 7:38PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions