I descend from a family of Caseys who immigrated to New York from the very edge of Limerick County where it borders Tiperrary. I recently visited the town they were from (Gortavalla and Castlegarde, Doon Parish) and spoke with a nearly 100 year old resident of the town who told me that the last Casey had been a female and once she married (in the 1930s he thought) the name had died off in that area Doon Parish, but really most of them were from across the road in County Tipperary anyway. This gentleman thought there we still many living over in County Tipperary just across from County Limerick.
In addition to being from the same region as the Caseys in this line of postings, mine also share many of the same names. For that reason, I thought I would include information here. Please contact me if you think we might have a connection.
MICHAEL CASEY was born in Ireland.
Michael married BRIDGET MACNAMARA . Bridget was born in 1778 (although I suspect this date is incorrect). She died on 23 Nov 1873.
Michael and Bridget had the following children:
(1) MICHAEL CASEY. Michael married MARGARET POWER . Margaret died in 1911 in Norwich, NY.
They had the following children:
1(a) MARGARET CASEY was born in 1858 in Oxford, NY.
1(b) ELIZABETH CASEY was born in 1860 in Oxford, NY.
1(c) ANNA CASEY was born in 1862 in Oxford, NY.
1(d) JOHN JOSEPH CASEY was born in 1864.
1(e) FRANCIS CASEY was born in 1867.
(2) ANNA CASEY was born in Gurtavalla, Doon Parish, Limerick County, Ireland.
Anna married MICHAEL WALSH .
(3) PATRICK CASEY was born on 31 Dec 1823 in Castlegarde, Limerick County, Ireland. He was christened on 3 Oct 1824 in Doon Parish, Limerick County, Ireland. He died on 31 Dec 1902 in Preston, NY. The cause of death was "Congestion of Lungs" - Pneumonia. He was buried on 3 Jan 1903 in St. Paul's Church, Norwich, NY.
According to the chapter on the history of Preston, NY in the History of Chenango County by James H. Smith (1880), one of the first settlers in Preston, “Asa FANNING, a Revolutionary soldier, and a brother-in-law of David ECCLESTON's, came in from the New England States, and settled about a mile south-east of Preston Corners, where Patrick CASEY now lives, and died there..."
He first emmigrated with his sister Anna "now Mrs. Michael Walsh of State Street, this village" (according to the Morning Sun Newspaper) at Springfield, Otsego County. He later lived in Mt. Upton and moved to Preston around 1878.
Patrick married ROSE DOLAN daughter of Fergus Dolan and Catherine. Rose was born on 17 Apr 1834 in Ireland. She died on 17 Jan 1894 in North Norwich, NY. She was buried on 19 Jan 1894 in St. Paul's Church, Norwich, NY.
They had the following children:
3(a) MARY ANN CASEY was born on 14 Mar 1856 in NY. She was buried in Assumption Cemetary. Funeral Service was at St. Cecilia's in Solvay. She is the earliest recorded birth in St. Paul's Church, Norwich, NY. Mary married LEWIS HERBERT BOWERS in 1885 in St. Paul's Church, Norwich, NY. Lewis was born in 1861 in New Berlin, NY. He was christened in 1885 in St. Paul's Church, Norwich, NY. He died in 1935 in Solvay.
3(b) MICHAEL F. CASEY was born in 1858 in Oxford, NY. He died in 1932 in Norwich, NY. He never married.
3(c)CATHERINE AUGUSTA CASEY was born in 1860 in Norwich, NY. She died before 1870. Assumed to have died young since another daughter was named Catherine.
3(d) ELIZABETH B. CASEY was born on 7 Jun 1862 in Guilford, NY. She died on 16 Nov 1954 in Binghamton, NY. She was buried in St. Paul's Cemetary, Family Plot. Spent most of her life in Norwich, NY and was a member of St. Paul's church there.
Rev Henry Contois officiated the funeral.
3(e) JOHN EDWARD CASEY was born on 18 Jan 1864 in Guilford, NY. He died on 5 Sep 1914 in Norwich, Ny. He was killed when run over by a Lackawanna locomotive south of the East Main Street crossing. He was there to pick up supplies for a clambake to be held the next
day on his farm in Plasterville.
3(f) WILLIAM F. CASEY was born on 26 Jun 1866 in Preston, NY. He died in 1952 in Preston, NY. He was buried in St. Paul's Cemetary, Family Plot.
3(g) CATHERINE FRANCES CASEY "Kittie" was born on 7 Mar 1868 in Preston, NY. She died on 14 Apr 1949 in Norwich, NY. Kittie Casey was the school teacher in the one room schoolhouse in town. It was here that she met her future husband, Herbert Boyden, when he was one of her students. Catherine married HERBERT OLEN BOYDEN son of Zanoni O. Boyden and Estella Coy on 30 Apr 1895 in St. Paul's Church, Norwich, New York. Herbert was born in 1875 in Plymouth or Preston, Ny. He died in 1948.
3(h) ROSE E. CASEY was born in 1874. She died in 1938.
(4) HANNA CASEY was born about 1829 in Gurtavalla, Limerick County, Ireland. She was christened on 12 Jun 1829 in Doon Parish, Limerick County, Ireland. She died after 1903 in Cooperstown, NY?. Hanna married JOHN ELLWOOD . John was born in 1815 in Ireland. They had the following child:
4(a) JOHN ELLWOOD was born in 1858 in NY.
(5) DENIS CASEY was born in 1833/1834 in Gortavalla, Doon Parish, Limerick County, Ireland. He was christened on 1 Jun 1834 in Doon Parish, Limerick County, Ireland. He died in 1877. Denis married JULIA CALDWELL STINSON in 1877 in St. Paul's Church, Norwich, NY. Julia was born in 1842. She died in 1905. It’s believed that the marriage was a revalidation and there is no evidence to suggest there was ever another wife. In fact, his daughter’s obituary lists Julia as her mother. They had the following children:
5(a) MARGARET CASEY was born in 1869. She died in 1894.
5(b) MARY CASEY was born in 1870 in Cooperstown, NY. She died in 1947 in Preston, NY.
Mary married Unknown .
5(c) STELLA A. CASEY was born in 1872. She died in 1933.
5(d) WILLIAM MICHAEL CASEY was born in 1874.
5(e) VERONICA B. CASEY was born in 1877. She died in 1917.
I have more information if anyone is interested.