Search for content in message boards

Cabanis/Caviness/Cabaness/Cavaness in France

Replies: 6

Re: Cabanis/Caviness/Cabaness/Cavaness in France

Posted: 24 Dec 2008 11:36PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Caviness ,carr ,
To start a man named Henri Cabanis arrived in Va from France about 1699.All that is known about him is he arrived with a wife and a child.There is no mention of her name as Marie anywhere....There is no mention of the sex of the child anywhere.There is no mention of the age of the child.The term infant was used ,this however denotes a child and not neccesarily a tiny baby.If you study the roster on the Mary and Ann you will find many infants ,and sometimes the word Sou for son ,this was used for older children ,there are people on this ship who arrived with four enfants.These were not quadruplets.They were quite simply four children.What next is a record that states upon petition of Henry Cabiness there are to be certified that there is due unto him two hundred acres for the importation of ho himself ,Mary his first wife ,Magdalen his second wife and Magdalen her daughter into the colony .If this is the man who arrived in 1699 with an infant and wife .Why is he not claiming land for the infant?in 1708 when he applied for this two hundred acres, Could this be a different man altogether? It is possible that Henry arrived in Va and that his wife and child died ,that he maybe travelled to Md or somewhere and returned with a new wife one with a daughter.It seems to me that Henry should have applied for land for his infant .We see a Henri Cabanis will naming son Henry ,Matthew and George and perhaps others as he mentions the my children, We do not know how old these three are ,one can guess very close on Mathew and George, We assume Henry is older,next we see a wm Allen mentioning his daughter Jane. It is unclear to me if in 1731 when the will was written if the wording was Jane now
cavinis or was this the wording when the estate finally settled in 1744.Still we do not know who she married.We only know she did not marry George or Matthew Cabanis .According to the author o f the book on Henri Cabanis there were other Caviness men in the area that she could not account for so she came up with a man on the ship with a similar name and placed these unidentified men as his.Even though there is not evidence that this man was a brother or any relation.The names of both Henri Cabanis and Chabanas are both commone surnames in France.Whoever wrote the list of immigrants had a very good knowledge of the French language,and the spelling of some very technical names.I do not believe that these men were related ,certainly no evidence of it . Back to my point if there were unidentified Cavines or Cabanis or Cavinis around why could it not have been one of these that married Jane Allen ,Nowhere does it ever list his first name .
The next point is even if a Henry Cavinis married Jane Allen sometime before her fathers will was written ,sometime probably around 1725 or so Jane Allen would have had children for about 26 years at the most perhaps ,she would not have been the mother for Richard ,or Fredrick.I personally would love to see the will of William Allen and see if Jane is identified in the primary document as Jane Cavinis or if she is identified as Jane Cavinis later when the estate is settled.I just feel that there are more questions than answers,many errors and assumptions made in this genealogy.
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
wally cavines... 25 Nov 2004 5:34AM GMT 
Mike Keena 18 Aug 2006 3:21AM GMT 
Wally Caviness 18 Aug 2006 7:19AM GMT 
coraleetavine... 10 Jun 2007 7:42PM GMT 
caviness58 11 Jun 2007 8:20AM GMT 
patperkins264 25 Dec 2008 6:36AM GMT 
patperkins264 19 Aug 2009 6:39PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions