Search for content in message boards

CAWLEY , John - Addergoole, Co. Mayo, Ireland. New Brunswick & Ontario Canada & New York State, USA

Replies: 14

CAWLEY , John - Addergoole, Co. Mayo, Ireland. New Brunswick & Ontario Canada & New York State, USA

Thomas J. Hunter (View posts)
Posted: 11 Aug 2002 8:14PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: CAWLEY , McCAWLEY , McCAULEY , FLANIGAN , KIRK
Does the following extract have any meaning to readers of this list.
This data has errors as he was only 97 and was born in Addergoole, Co. Mayo according to his discharge papers.

"Vital Statistics From New Brunswick (Canada) Newspapers"

d. Monterey, State of New York, 1st June, age 107, John McCAWLEY, formerly Sgt. in British Army, in which he served 20 years and fought in 15 general engagements under sir. Arthur WELLESLEY. He was a native of County Sligo, Ireland and for many years a resident of Lepreau (Charlotte Co.) N.B. (cross reference: McAULEY)
18 June 1872 D.T.

1316 The death of Sgt. John McAULEY at Monterey, N.Y. has already been noticed. His farm, a short distance this side of Lepreaux (Charlotte Co.) is still known as McAuley Place. He had served 15 years in the British Army and was in 15 general engagements under the Duke of Wellington. He was a native of Sligo, Ireland and at the time of his death was 107 years old. (see John McCAWLEY) (cross reference McAULEY)
29 June 1872 D.N.

I believe John McCAWLEY / CAWLEY / McCAULEY is my GGGGF who left his daughter Margaret behind when he and his wife (Margaret KIRK ?) went off to Portugal with the 88th Regiment.
Margaret was raised by her grand parents and married my GGGF Michael FLANIGAN and at one time they resided in Crossmallina before they moved to Canada about 1843. They settled in Downie Twp. Perth Co. Ontario. (close to Stratford but not far from Ingersoll)
This John CAWLEY had 2 sons, Edward and John and another daughter Bridget, that we know of and other children who died in Portugal while he was serving there. He was pensioned off in 1817, returned to Ireland and moved to New Brunswick, Canada in 1832 with his children. He left New Brunswick with his son Edward to live in Ingersoll, Ontario until 1863 and then moved to Monterey (Russell Twp.) New York where he died in 1872. I have extensive data on both families but nothing to positively tie them together.
Any help would be appreciated.

Thomas J. Hunter
Navan, ON, Canada
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
Thomas J. Hunter 12 Aug 2002 2:14AM GMT 
Diarmuid Cawley 26 Aug 2002 7:11PM GMT 
Thomas J. Hunter 26 Aug 2002 10:53PM GMT 
Mary North 29 Dec 2002 11:30PM GMT 
Thomas J Hunter 15 Jan 2003 3:01AM GMT 
lynnmariebrig... 15 Jan 2003 12:20PM GMT 
tjhunter 15 Jan 2003 10:31PM GMT 
Dympna Reilly 10 Sep 2003 5:58AM GMT 
Thomas J Hunter 10 Sep 2003 4:33PM GMT 
Tricia 2 Nov 2004 12:17AM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions