Search for content in message boards

Chesser Island, Chesser's from GA and SC, Thomas Samuel Chesser (b. 1776) and more. =)

Replies: 6

Chesser Island, Chesser's from GA and SC, Thomas Samuel Chesser (b. 1776) and more. =)

Samuel Chesser (samiam68) (View posts)
Posted: 29 Aug 2002 9:52PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Chesser
My name is Samuel Chesser. I am 34 and currently live in south Florida. I am new to this email group and relatively new to geneology. I stumbled across the Chesser group on Rootsweb, and I thought I would make an attempt to dig a little further into my past.

I was born and raised in Folkston, GA. Yes, THAT Folkston--near the Okefenokee Swamp and Chesser Island. I still visit "home" a couple of times per year. Coincidentally, I worked during high school at the Swamp as a tour guide. (Later, my younger brother did as well.)

Most of the Chesser information that I have collected is from my parents, my grandma, a great aunt (who subsequently passed away), a few other relatives, a couple of books about the Okefenokee and Charlton County, and from a couple of cemetaries near Folkston (Sardis and the one near Traders Hill). I also discovered some really cool "missing info" from Rootsweb which helped me to fill-in a few missing holes on my hand-drawn family tree.

Essentially, here is where I fit into the Chesser line (as best as I can tell) . . .

-I am Samuel N. Chesser.
-My father is Norman Chesser Jr. (living).
-His father was Norman Gray Chesser.
-His father was Wiley L. Chesser (b. 1878).
-His father was Moab Columbus Chesser (b. 1846).
-His father was Willam Thomas Chesser (b. 1812). He was the original "homesteader" on Chesser Island--rumored to have run to the Swamp from murder charges elsewhere in Georgia--charges which were later dropped when it was determined the killing was in self-defense.
-His father was Thomas Samuel Chesser (b. 1776). The unconfirmed rumors I have for him are that he was born in SC, his family was from Ireland, and he married Mary Gray, daughter of Samuel Gray.

If anyone's family line touches mine, if you have any stories to share, or if anyone can trace back further than Thomas Samuel, please let me know. I'd love to hear from you.

Thanks.
-Sam
samiamiami@hotmail.com
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
Samuel Chesser (samiam68) 30 Aug 2002 3:52AM GMT 
Leisa Stewart 15 Jul 2004 6:09AM GMT 
blamb2 28 Apr 2006 3:57AM GMT 
RoseannaDensm... 9 Jan 2008 1:50AM GMT 
marcouj 19 Jun 2010 1:17AM GMT 
Vic15966 9 Sep 2010 9:03AM GMT 
veronicadeaso... 5 Feb 2011 7:19AM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions