John Chew, Larkin Chew of Virginia

Replies: 7

Re: John Chew, Larkin Chew of Virginia

Posted: 9 Aug 2012 4:48PM GMT
Classification: Query
Nicholas,
Thanks for the note.

I believe my Johnston line goes like this:
Hammond (my maiden name)< Viola Dean Johnston < George Lindsay Johnston < Gabriel Jones Johnston (1802 Jefferson Cty MO )< Benjamin Johnston (1763 Spotsylvania VA) < Benjamin Johnston (1734)< William Johnston m. Ann (Nan) Chew. This line is based on family written records through a Benjamin Johnston and listing the Chew family. I also see the Ann Chew m William Johnston and descendants to the second of the Benjamin's in my line in "Adventurers of Purse and Person" -- a genealogy book of Jamestown families 1607-24. The Chew family has a chapter. John Chew came on the Charitie, leaving England 1622.He was a merchant in Jamestown trading in commodities shipped from England; property owner, assembly representative Hog Island.Son Joseph m Ruth Larkin and lived in Anne Arundel Co MD, Delaware and possibly Arblemarle area, North Carolina; grandson Larkin Chew left Maryland for Virginia was married to Hannah Roy. Clearly from the records these men were business men, with many purchases and sales of land. The Chew family -- if the many links at Ancestry can be believed :-) -- indicates an Anglo-Norman family, tracing through the Dukes of Normandy to Charlemagne. Chew is an evolution of various French versions -- I have lost a big section of my Ancestry tree following the Chew line, but it was amazing to see the possible connections through the centuries.

Hope this is of interest. I would love any information you have.

Jennifer Landau

I wish I had has much info on the earlier Johnstons.
I find inconsistent and yet unverified info on William Johnston. Family oral history says noble family, Annandale Scotland, which may be true but not as directly as some here on Ancestry seem to list. I am tending to think that he was born in the colonies, yet of a shoot of the Annandale Johnston clan. The existence of a William Johnston, heir to the Annandale title, has confused matters. This William was born at approx the same time as the Spotsylvania William BUT records are clear that he died young of a (dueling?)injury. Some stories I have read indicate that some of the Annandale Johnstons were early Jacobites, and hence may have left England for first Ireland then America. What info have you on all this?

My "Adventurers" reference says of William Johnston:
Captain, born 1 Dec 1697, left will, now lost, presented at court 13 July 1769. :ived in Gloucester, Spotsylvania, Caroline Counties; merchant at Pt. Royal, justice Spotsylvania, sheriff, 1731, captain of militia 1729, member House of Burgesses from Spotsylvania 1736-40. Married Ann Chew Oct 1723.

Son Benjamin goes to Jefferson Co Kentucky, with the next generation on to St Louis Missouri-- part of the great move of Southerners on the opening of Missouri Territory. In a historical context, they were of the first wave of settlers buying/getting title to land which they then planted, likely tobacco, and sold to the next wave of settlers. Family stories call them "gentlemen farmers and horse breeders." I find it interesting that the Johnstons go from Jefferson Cty KY to what would become Jefferson Cty MO

Gideon Johnston is not a name I have yet come across!
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
Annetrent 10 Oct 2007 1:01AM GMT 
GrandyChew 17 Mar 2009 5:25AM GMT 
lynjquilts1 7 Aug 2010 4:20AM GMT 
vdupree76 11 Aug 2010 4:54AM GMT 
jhlandau 31 Aug 2011 11:22PM GMT 
bpsmith28 13 Sep 2011 11:56PM GMT 
iisentaku 7 Aug 2012 6:11PM GMT 
jhlandau 9 Aug 2012 10:48PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions