Search for content in message boards

John Chew, Larkin Chew of Virginia

Replies: 7

John Chew, Larkin Chew of Virginia

Posted: 9 Oct 2007 7:01PM GMT
Classification: Query
I found the following original letter in the "Chew Family" file at the College of William and Mary. This letter is all they had. I added punctuation to make it less confusing.
I'm not connected to the Chews, but hope this letter will help someone.
Anne

To Jos. Chew

Dear Joseph
Having left Virginia when very young, I can give but an imperfect account of our Family. The first of them, John Chew was settled in Virginia in 1743 at which time Sir William Berkl(e)y was Governor of that Colony and had a particular regards for him as I find by some Papers I have seen. The Family afterward removed to Maryland from whom the Chews in that Province and those now in Philadelphia descended. My Grand Father Larkin Chew removed from Maryland to Virginia where he married into the respectable family of Roy. He left three sons Thomas, John and Larkin and one daughter who married a Mr. Johnston and had several Children but I cannot ell where they are now settled or give any satisfactory accounts of the Family, of my Uncle John or Larkin. My Father married a daughter of Colonel James Taylor and once was possessed of a very large Property which he unfortunately lost by becoming security for two persons for a large amount who failed. He had six sons and five daughters. I was the oldest son, Larkin the 2nd died last year unmarried, Thomas died young, Samuel married in New Haven as you know. Colby was killed in the service of his Country, was a Lieutenant in the Army 1758, James married in Virginia. He has been dead some years. I can(n)ot tell what family he left. Of the Daughters, Frances the Eldest married a Mr. Henry Dowers and settled in North Carolina, Hannah the 2nd was alive when I last heard from Virginia, unmarried very infirm. Alice the 3rd married her cousin Zachary Taylor who is settled in Kentuck. She died last year, has left Children whose names I cannot recollect. They are in good circumstances. Milly 4th married a Mr. Col(e)man died without issue. Betsey 5th was living when I heard last very infirm. My Mother had four brothers and four sisters. James, Zachary, George and Erasmus. I can give very little account of my Uncle James Family. Zachary=s son married my sister Alice as above mentioned, My Uncle George left a Large Family. I don=t recollect their names. They are settled in Virginia in good Circumstances as I heard. Erasmus ? My Mother’s sister Frances married a Mr. Madison and had a son and two daughters. I cannot give a very particular account of the Family the daughters left. James= 1st son is living in Orange County, Virginia in affluent circumstances. His son James has been a member of several of the Congresses and is esteemed (?) very unfriendly to Great Britains. He is a person of capacity and a great Politician. Cannot give a proper acct of his Brothers and sisters. His Father is my old intimate and sincere friend. My mother(‘s) sister Tabatha married a Mr. Wilds. I don=t know what family she (a)live. Hannah married a Mr. Battailes, left one son Hay ? Battailes who is in goods, good circumstances. Molly married a Mr. Pendleton. I don(‘)t know what family she has. She was living lately. ? Brother and other sisters are all dead as are my Father and Mother. I cannot give you an account of the Chews or their Families in Maryland. Benjamin Chew Esq. was a Person of the first consequence in Pennsylvania before the revolution. Chief Justice of the Province greatly esteemed as a Gentleman and for his knowledge of the Law, He has a son Benjamin equally ???, his Father has several Daughters, some married, one to Mr. Nichlin, a Capital Mercht in Phila. Two are unmarried, the Eldest Benjamin Chew has two brothers Samuel and John who are living.
When I am able I will give you a better account of the Family and am
Yours Affectionately,
Joseph Chew
Montreal 26 Septr 1797
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
Annetrent 10 Oct 2007 1:01AM GMT 
GrandyChew 17 Mar 2009 5:25AM GMT 
lynjquilts1 7 Aug 2010 4:20AM GMT 
vdupree76 11 Aug 2010 4:54AM GMT 
jhlandau 31 Aug 2011 11:22PM GMT 
bpsmith28 13 Sep 2011 11:56PM GMT 
iisentaku 7 Aug 2012 6:11PM GMT 
jhlandau 9 Aug 2012 10:48PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions