Search for content in message boards

Hiram Clearwater of Rosendale, NY

Replies: 6

Re: Hiram Clearwater of Rosendale, NY

Posted: 21 Feb 2012 5:36PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Clearwater, Struber
At long last I have solved this problem. A number of years ago I sent for and received the marriage certificate for Hiram Clearwater and Julia Struber. They were married in the City of Kingston, NY on 10 Oct 1897. Julia’s parents were listed as Frederick Struber and Sarah Bush. Hiram’s parents were listed as Thomas Clearwater and Martha Sutkins. After years of on again-off again research and finally a phone call to the Kingston Clerk’s office it was determined that the poor handwriting in the Kingston ledger caused the clerk who originally sent me the marriage certificate to misread Hiram’s mother’s name as Martha Sutkins when it should have been read as Amanda Silknis. Hiram died 29 Jan 1928 in Claverack, Columbia County and his death certificate, which I recently received, lists his parents as Thomas Clearwater and Amanda Silkweith. Thomas’s ancestry is well documented. Knowing that Hiram’s parents were Thomas and Amanda solved one problem but created another. Thomas and Amanda had 13 children, no more, no less. All 13 have been identified and documented and Hiram was not one of them. However, one of the 13 was Abram, age 9, listed in the 1880 census with his parents and about whom I have never been able to find any additional info about. He never shows up again in any census. Hiram, on the other hand, born 1870 (or 1871 depending on the source), can not be located in any census prior to 1900. Hiram, Julia and family were living in Alsen, Town of Catskill, Greene County after 1920. In several articles in the Kingston Daily Freeman from 1924 to 1927 the couple is referred to as “Mr & Mrs Hiram Clearwater of Alsen” and in others referred to as “Mr & Mrs Abram Clearwater of Alsen.” Such being the case it is determined that Hiram and Abram are one and the same person. Either his name was Abram Hiram Clearwater or Hiram Abram Clearwater. Hiram and Julia are buried in Coxing Cemetery. Hiram’s headstone reads “Hiram R. Clearwater” which throws another wrench in the works(unless the 'R' is really an 'A') but I still believe that the documentation is sufficiently authoritative to establish Hiram’s connection to Thomas and Amanda Clearwater and the proposition that Hiram and Abram are one and the same person.

There, clear as mud.

Jim C.

SubjectAuthorDate Posted
reginahillenbrand 1 Aug 2002 8:28PM GMT 
jasonbl18 17 May 2003 5:09PM GMT 
reginahillenb... 24 Jan 2004 7:24AM GMT 
jimclearwater... 27 Jan 2004 5:01PM GMT 
EClearwater 7 Jul 2007 5:14PM GMT 
reginahillenb... 7 May 2004 6:14AM GMT 
jclearwater76 22 Feb 2012 12:36AM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions