Search for content in message boards

Cline Research Project in Kentucky

Replies: 44

Re: Cline Research Project in Kentucky

Posted: 6 Mar 2011 6:30PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Cline/Kline/Cylnes
Nicholas b. abt 1774 d.bef 1813 & his son Nicholas b. 1803-1806 d. 1888 in KS. So far I have not been able to connect this Cline family to John Cline b. 1750 Frederick County MD d. 1829 Shelby County KY.

1789 Jefferson County KY tax list of Cline's Clyne-- There are two John Cline's in this part of the State of KY between 1790 & 1810. Through DNA testing I do know they were related but don't believe they are brothers. The Peter Clynes mentioned could be the Peter Cline I believe to be related to John Cline and may in fact be his brother. I have no knowledge of the Joseph mentioned.

The John Cline b. 1750 Frederick County MD came to Shelby County KY about 1781. He purchased land on Tick Creek in Shelby County KY where he built a home for his family and lived there until his death in 1829. I believe his father was Jacob Cline b.1720 Frederick County MD d. bef 1780 Frederick County MD. Have been searching for documents that would prove that they are father and son.

I have no knowledge of a Mr. Cline mentioned in George L. Willis, Sr., History of Shelby County, Kentucky. 1929, 178 Although I have heard about the story I don't think it is any of John Cline's family.

Below--- infomation about Tick Creek area in Shelby County KY and my line of Clines ________________________________________________________________________________________________

The Long Run Massacre
(As told by Moses and Isaiah Boone sons of Squire Boone)
(Draper Mss. 19C33-36, 89-96)
.......Joseph Eastwood's wife, a daughter of Mr. Hansbury, was horribly killed. Mrs. Eastwood was pregnant and her body was ripped open and mangled.
.......Most of the massacre's survivors straggled into Linn's Station by nightfall. Old Mr. EASTWOOD and his wife had both fled into the woods during the attack. Somehow they found each other during the afternoon and dodged about in the bushes until dark without making any progress toward getting away. They hid during the night in a sink hole. As morning approached, they discovered an Indian camp very nearby and quitely stole away. They finally reached Linn's that day.

Original Settlers

Original Settlers of Squire Boone's 'Painted Stone' fort in the spring of 1780 besides Boone and his family were Marius Hansbury, old Mr. Yount and son, George Yount, William Hall, Abraham Vanmeter, Abram Holt, Robert Tyler, John Kline, Philip Nichols, old ROBERT EASTWOOD, John Vancleve and Evan Hinton all with their families.. Also there were several young men without families, among them: George Holeman, Richard Rue, a brother of Philip Nichols. one Legget and others; also the widow Underwood and family. (Draper Mss. 19C27).
Eastwood and Legget Attacked

Almost immediately there was an Indian incident. The very spring they settled the station, EASTWOOD and Legget were attacked by a party of Indians who stole upon them while they were making clapboards some distance from the fort. Legget was killed and EASTWOOD was wounded in the back but escaped and recovered (Draper Mss. 19C27).
24 May 1780:

John Eastwood enters 500 Acres upon a Treasury Warrant on the east side of Gists Creek about one mile from the creek and about one mile from Tick Creek including a cabbin and sinkhole spring.
Also 400 Acres on the north side of Tick Creek beginning at the Indian Painted Tree, running up the same creek near north for quantity, then near west, thence to the beginning.
Bebjamin Rice enters 500 Acres upon a Treasury Warrant on the south side of Gists Creek about two miles above the fork where Tick Creek and Gists fork meet, to include an emprovement on the creek made by Squire Boone and Co.
Abraham Vanmeter enters 800 Acres upon a Treasury Warrant in the fork of Gists Creek (a branch of Brashears Creek) beginning near the fork on the creek running near north and then west including his cabbin.
Peter Cline enters 500 Acres upon a Treasury Warrant on the north side of Tick Creek beginning half a mile below the Indian Painted Tree on the creek and run near north, then near west for quantity.

Robert Tyler enters 500 Acres on the south side of Tick Creek about a mile from the Indian Painted Tree, beginning on a branch on a branch below Squire Boone's cabin, running west, then south, then east to include the cabin.
Jefferson Co., Ky. Land Records...Squire Boone - Jefferson Co., Ky. Land Grant (adj. John Eastwood) 1782.
Benjamin Harrison Esquire Governor of the Commonwealth of Virginia, to all to whom these presents shall come Greeting: Know ye that in consideration of the sum of eighty pounds paid by Squire Boone into the treasury of this Commonwealth there is granted by the said Commonwealth unto the said Squire Boone Assignee of George Merewether a certain tract or parcel of Land Containing two hundred Acres surveyed the eighth day of July one thousand seven hundred and eighty one part of a treasury Warrant Number five thousand eight hundred and seventy seven and issued the fifteenth day of July one thousand seven hundred and eighty and bounded as followeth to wit Beginning at John Eastwoods North west Corner a sugar tree extending thence North two hundred and thirty two poles at fifty poles cross Guess creek to an elm and two Buckeyes at the head of a drain of said creek thence east one hundred and thirty eight poles to a small Walnut and Hickory thence south two hundred and thirty two poles to a Buckeye and box elder on the bank of Guess creek on the south side in Eastwoods line thence with his line West one hundred and thirty eight poles to the Beginning with its Appurtenances to have and to hold the said tract or parcel of Land, with its Appurtenances to the said Squire Boone and his heirs forever In witness whereof the said Benjamin Harrison Governor of the Commonwealth of Virginia, hath hereunto set his hand and Caused the Lesser Seal of the said Commonwealth to be affixed at Richmond on the first day of June in the year of our Lord one thousand seven hundred and eighty two and of the Commonwealth the sixth.... Benjamin Harrison.

Painted Indian Tree
( Article by George L. Willis, Sr. Shelby Sentinel Feb. 17, 1933)
... Bland Ballard and Robert Tyler came from the Bear Grass and other stations around the Falls, and established "Tyler's Station." on Tick Creek, a little to the North of what is now Midland Trail U.S. 60 and about six miles East of Shelbyville....
Tyler's station is familiar to all, while its other early name, the "Indian Painted Tree," seems known to only a few who study the eariler records of the county....It was called the "Indian Painted Tree". The following is one of several depositions found in Deed Book B, the second book opened after Shelby became a county, and which book like Book A, is filled for the most part with these evidences of the right to titles in the valuable lands that had been "taken up," by grants and otherwise, years before Kentucky became a state or this became a county. All of the group of depositions of which the following is one, had to do with the establishment of the title to the "Indian Painted Tree" tract, which they all show was identical with the tract on which Tyler station stood and which had been sold just after the first massacre by Squire Boone to Robert Tyler...."The Indian Painted Tree" "Deponent says: That a certain Beech tree, standing on the bank of Tick Creek, near the mouth of a small branch, an within about 40 yards of the house which John Cline now lives, is a tree which has been known, and called 'The Indian Painted Tree.' I do not know of, and never heard of any other tree called 'The Indian Painted Tree". The cabin is the one that I have always understood was the one Robert Tyler bought of Squire Boone, and I believe it to be the cabin on the 500 A. on Tick creek you bought of Squire Boone.
...Tyler and Ballard founded the Tyler or Tick Creek station in 1783, about two years after the massacre of the Squire Boone settlers, at Long Run.

Original Settlers
Original Settlers of Squire Boone's 'Painted Stone' fort in the spring of 1780 besides Boone and his family were Marius Hansbury, old Mr. Yount and son, George Yount, William Hall, Abraham Vanmeter, Abram Holt, Robert Tyler, John Kline, Philip Nichols, old Robert Eastwood, John Vancleve and Evan Hinton all with their families.. Also there were several young men without families, among them: George Holeman, Richard Rue, 11346-roll 6, pg 1250-1251:

Service in the Army of George Rogers Clark:
26 June 1781: State of Virginia account with Robert Tyler. Payment for building smoke houses and payment to individual workers. Nanes JOHN EASTWOOD, A. Vanmeter, Peter Cline, John Vancleave, John Cline, John ilson, George Yunt, M. Wickersham, ? Holt, Squire Boone, Pat Kennedy, and William Shannon.
a brother of Philip Nichols. one Legget and others; also the widow Underwood and family. (Draper Mss. 19C27).
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
Bobcline169 6 Mar 2011 2:53AM GMT 
JuliaArchibal... 6 Mar 2011 11:59PM GMT 
Bobcline169 7 Mar 2011 1:30AM GMT 
JuliaArchibal... 7 Mar 2011 2:49AM GMT 
Bobcline169 7 Mar 2011 3:38PM GMT 
robertdcline 7 Mar 2011 4:24PM GMT 
Bobcline169 7 Mar 2011 5:50PM GMT 
vkgriffin 5 Mar 2011 10:45PM GMT 
Contribution 13 Mar 2011 12:31AM GMT 
RBe5978875 11 May 2011 8:27PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions