Replies: 0

South Dakota via Canada Clute

Posted: 21 Feb 2012 4:19PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Clute,Floyd, Norton
Medford, Oregon Nov. 5, 1980
To: The Chamberlain Register
Chamberlain, S.D.
It has come to my attention that an informal history of early Chamberlain has been printed. I have also been informed that it contains no reference to a certain prominent family. I realize that it is highly unlikely that another such history will ever be published, but just to set the record straight:
The Richard James Clute family came to Chamberlain some time between 1884 & 1889. My father, Perry H. Clute, was born in White Lake, S.D., in March, 1884. His sister LeOtia,(Mrs.Albert J. Norton)was born in Chamberlain in July, 1889.Charles Edgar(Ed)Clute was forn in Chamberlain in March 1891. John Allen Clute was born in Chamberlain in October 1894. Maude Clute (Mrs. Frank L. Wood) was born in Gunnison,CO in August 1882.
All the Clute children except John Allen graduated from high school in Chamberlain.John Allen graduated...in Presho, where Grandpa Clute had a harness shop until he retired in the early 30's. .....All the Clute children....went to college. ..All the Clute boys became druggists. They each owned drug stores ... in S.D. My father Perry was elected president of the S.D. Pharmacy Assoc.in 1919.All three Clute boys were active Masons....
Grandpa Clute was a harnessmaker. He emigrated from Canada as a young boy. He had his own harness shop in Chamberlain, at one time he owned a store as well. He was buried in Murdo, S.D. in June 1936, along side his wife, Emma, and his son, Perry. Many years before he died he received his 50 year masonic medallion...Grandma Clute had been married before to a man named Floyd, who died, leaving her with a daughter, Vivian. Vivian Floyd was buried in Chamberlain in 1899, having died at the age of 28. She had been ill most of her life. Her tombstone is still legible, in the cemetary on top of the hill.
Two Clute's of that generation are still living. Le Otia lives alone in a house she designed and had built in Chadron, Neb. She was 91 in July. Allen (J.A.) was 86 in October, and lives in a retirement hotel in Long Beach, Calif. .....I (Allen E. Clute)lived in Chamberlain during the typhoid epidemic, and at one time was trying to take the place of 3 men...I helped translate from Spanish to English the instructions on vials of fever serum that had been flown in from the Library of Medicine, Havana, Cuba.
This is a sketchy outline of the Clute family in Chamberlain. How could a family who lived there so early, who lived there so long and so prominently have walked through any history of Chamberlain without leaving footprints? Yours truly, Allen E. Clute.

Find a board about a specific topic