Search for content in message boards

Asa Cobb

Replies: 91

Re: Asa Cobb

Posted: 2 Jan 2009 5:07PM GMT
Classification: Query
Hello,

This is to the Diane who posted the message relative to the Asa Cobb family.

My name is William Neal Cobb, and I am a retired dentist living in northeast Georgia. For quite a few years I have been one of four Cobb descendants researching a southern US branch of the New England Cobb family that descends from Henry Cobb known as the Elder Henry Cobb who came to Plymouth in 1629, lived in Scituate, MA and died in Barnstable, MA.

I descend from a group of Cobb Brothers (four or five) who showed up in Orange County, NC in the 1750's. After several years of exhaustive research, including DNA comparison with a known male descendant of the elder Henry Cobb our group has established that the brothers, Samuel, Cpt. Henry Cobb, Noah Cobb along with sisters Elizabeth and Mary were born to Henry Cobb and Jemima Morse in Pomfret, Windham County, CT in the 1730's. The father Henry Cobb was the son of Samuel Cobb and Elizabeth Taylor Cobb and the grandson of Henry the Elder Cobb and his second wife, Sarah Hinckley Cobb. Henry, the grandson, left Barnstable in the 1720's, settling in Windham County, CT. He evidently bought and sold real estate and acquired some wealth. He next showed up in the Beekman Patent in Dutchess County, NY where he traded in property there, too. It should be noted that Frank Dougherty initially identified the Henry Cobb of the Beekman Patent incorrectly as the Henry Cobb of Stonington, CT (a relative of the Henry of Windham County). I relayed some records of property transactions to Mr. Dougherty showing that it was the Henry Cobb from Barnstable by way of Windham County, CT that was in Dutchess and Westchester Counties in New York. Mr. Dougherty agreed and stated that he would correct his identification of the Henry Cobb in Duchess County.

The list of children listed as the children of Asa Cobb in Dutchess County, NY is eerily similar to the children born to Henry Cobb and Jemima Morse. When Henry and Jemima and their children left NY, they next show up in Orange County, NC. It is my opinion that they probably traveled from to NY to PA and then south along the Great Wagon Road into North Carolina, but I have no definitive proof of that. I do know that names of the Cobbs around Mt. Cobb in Lackawanna County, PA are almost identical to those of the Cobbs that ended up in NC. The names Noah and Asa are unusual, particularly in the south. I cannot account for the name Asa, but Noah was the name of Jemima Morse Cobb and her brother Cyprian Morse's father.

Mr. Thomas Sutton researched this NC family in a book that he titled, The Cobb Brothers Five. He identified the brothers as: Samuel, Henry, Noah, John and Asa. He did have some doubts as whether Asa might be a son of one of the older brothers, possibly Samuel, rather than a younger brother. These same names, along with Zyprian can be found in the Cobb families in Duchess County, NY and Lackawanna County, PA. Interestingly, Jemima Morse Cobb had a brother named Cyprian Morse.

I tend to agree with Diane that the NY/PA Asa Cobb clan are likely descended from the New England branch, and most probably from Henry the Elder Cobb.

I would be happy to assist with more detailed information and assist in this research in any way helpful. I have long felt that the Asa Cobb family was connected to the Barnstable Cobb family.

Best wishes,

Neal Cobb
ncobb681@windstream.net

SubjectAuthorDate Posted
DonaldandDoro... 31 Jul 2010 4:17AM GMT 
Ethelmay51 3 Sep 2010 2:05AM GMT 
siemedia 11 Dec 2006 3:43AM GMT 
wnealcobb 3 Jan 2009 12:07AM GMT 
siemedia 3 Jan 2009 1:42AM GMT 
wnealcobb 3 Jan 2009 4:10AM GMT 
siemedia 3 Jan 2009 9:15PM GMT 
wnealcobb 4 Jan 2009 3:06AM GMT