Search for content in message boards

Cody Genealogy

Replies: 0

Cody Genealogy

Posted: 17 Sep 2013 3:36PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Cody

I have just started working on my family genealogy. My mother told me that we are related to Buffalo Bill Cody's brother but I can't find his name. My mother said that back in that time it was customary because people lived so far apart that when a new child was born that when someone came to visit they were allowed to give the child a name. Consequently my mother told me that her great great grandmother was 'Mary Ann Elizabeth Catherine Jolycotha Julia Anne Ellender Martha Ann Eqrathany Williams Foster Cody Whitener born 1829 mother of Mary Adeline Whitener and daughter of Captain James Cody. Her first husband was Martin Whitener married 22 June 1834. Her second husband was Albert Barnes married about 1846. My mother said that she was told that she was called 'Lizzy' Cody by some family members although others called her Mary, Mary Ann, Liz, etc.. My mother said that her great great grandmother's father was 'Captain Thomas Editymus Christopher Holmes James Jackson Jefferson Jones Cody. Everybody called him Captain James Cody. Again in keeping with the tradition of visitors giving the new baby a name. I can't find anything solid on this line although I did find an Elizabeth Mary Ann Cody and a Captain James Cody on the Mormon LDS church Family Search website. I can't find anything that goes any further back. Do have any information?

Find a board about a specific topic