Search for content in message boards

Cynthia Coffee Tripp

Replies: 3

Re: Cynthia Coffee Tripp

Posted: 16 Apr 2008 7:11AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Coffee-Coffey
This is probably the line of Coffee's that moved into Oklahoma and then faded away into history. I have never found where this group originated from or where they went. I suspect their name may have been Coffey before 1810 and were in Kentucky in the latter part of the 18th century. Many of the these Coffey's originated in North Carolina and in the early ninteenth century, some changed their names to Coffee. One gentleman of the Coffey line from North Carolina was Holland Coffee(y), the famous Red River trader. At the age of 10, after Holland Coffey's parents died in Kentucky, Holland changed his name to Coffee and moved to McMinnville Tennessee to live with his uncle, Jesse Coffee. Holland moved to Indian Territory (Oklahoma) and later married Sophia Suttenfield-Auginbaugh and they had no children. In 1846, Holland Coffee was killed by Charles Galloway, who was the husband of Holland Coffee's niece. The fight in 1846 between Galloway and Coffee was over a remark made about Sophia's affair with Sam Houston following the Battle of San Jacinto in 1836. Sophia Suttenfield-Auginbaugh-Coffee-Butts-Porter remarried twice after Holland was killed and she died in 1897. This Coffey-Coffee line is not in any way related to my Coffee line from Stafford and Prince Edward County Virginia at least as far back as 1730.
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
fuswv_1 16 Apr 2008 4:25AM GMT 
Coffee_Jerry 16 Apr 2008 1:11PM GMT 
BWADDLE 4 Jun 2008 2:41AM GMT 
rftripp 12 Dec 2011 9:28PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions