Search for content in message boards

Abigail Cohen and ? Asher

Replies: 1

Re: Abigail Cohen and ? Asher

Posted: 27 Dec 2012 9:15AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Cohen Asher
hi Lisa
the work you have done is mind blowing.. me I was ill and decided once and for all to find out about my Portuguese forbears...my Sephardi ancestry.. as we all have zillions of ancestors I decided to go back through my grandmothers line.. because this was the side of the family I was and am very close to. Then I said I will go back through the maternal line as Judaism itself does. (you always know who the mother is)
Hoping you find it interesting... Asher Cohen

phoebe Martin nee Peachey 1896- 1986

her mother Sarah Asher born 1870 (siblings Joseph Abraham Myer and Rachel .

her mother was Abigail nee Hart(1847-1906). married Morris(Moses) Asher(1846)in 1868

Now Morris I believe was the son of David Asher and Sarah Cohen and he had a sister called Deborah (he may have been born out of wedlock) they married in 1847.. but it is all vague... just maybe the cohens are also known up north as acohen (very strange)
Abigail was the daughter of Rachel Hart nee Martin(1812-1846) and Joseph Hart (1812)they married in the Great Synagogue 8th June 1836

Rachel was the daughter of Sarah Martin (nunes Martinez)(1790-1822) and Isaac Martin(nunes Martinez)(d1842) they were married in Bevis Marks Synagogue on the 2nd May 1809

Sarah was the daughter of Hannah nunes Martinez nee Toledano (1762-1847) born in Gibraltar and Abraham nunes Martinez (1765-1848) they married in 1783 at Bevis Marks Synagogue..

Hannah was the daughter of Ester (1719-1791 Gibraltar) and Abraham Toledano (1710-1784)

Prior to this the family probably came from Morocco and earlier Portugal and Spain

When I found this out it was like a completion as I had married a girl from Fez (brought up in Israel) whose father was a Rabbi.. and with out knowing anything about the above had a very Moroccan wedding for my daughter... nothing new

regards Kevin
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
Lisa Watson 7 Oct 2012 4:31PM GMT 
londoncalling... 27 Dec 2012 4:15PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic