Search for content in message boards

Cole's - Delaware & Maryland

Replies: 8

Re: Cole's - Delaware & Maryland

J. Longley (View posts)
Posted: 2 Dec 2003 8:54AM GMT
Classification: Query
Do you mean the Draper Cole of Sussex Co., DE in the late 1700s? He was assessed in Cedar Ck. Hd., Sussex Co. in a probably-1784 tax list (ucky microfilm) as having just moved from Broadkiln Hd. I did not find a record that he purchased land, but Coverdale Cole of Monongalia Co. (West) VA sold land that might have been his in 1803 -- I don't have a copy of the actual deed. Do you have Draper's probate record of ca. 1799?

I have wondered whether Coverdale was a son or brother of this Draper Cole. Coverdale with wife Sophia (Poynter) Hudson Cole moved to Monongalia Co. (West) VA from Cedar Ck. Hd., Sussex Co. DE by early 1796.

I have a lot of info on Coverdale Cole and family, with some mysteries; ran out of time when I was at the DE Archives.

One intrigue: *family naming pattern* carries names Hynson or Hinson forward several generations. Eldest son of Coverdale was Hynson Cole whose 2nd eldest son was named Draper Cole. Have you found a connection with the Hynson family (the DE group probably from the Kent Co. MD Hynson clan)?

Another intrigue: A Charlotte Cole was given bequest in 1831 will of Coverdale Cole, but not called "daughter". In Monongalia Co. in 1797 she married one William Lawless who may also have moved from SXDE. Her death record suggests she was born ca. 1771/2, but census items allow for as late as 1779 or as early as 1765. Could she have been a daughter of Draper Cole or a widow of one of his sons?

Coverdale's certain children were named Esther, Elizabeth, Hynson, William and Joseph, all of whom lived and died in Monongalia Co. William had no known children, but there are myriad descendants of the others.

In your family the name *Manlove* is of interest. If you don't know the story of Boaz Manlove, do a *google* search for some biographic data (genealogies are confused due to scattered nature of records). The key point is that children named for Boaz Manlove in the 1770s or a little later may reflect a Loyalist sentiment, just as children named *Ulysses* or *Sherman* after the Civil War reflected the parents' views.
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
Pat Beideman 24 Jan 2003 10:55PM GMT 
J. Longley 2 Dec 2003 3:54PM GMT 
DanShane304 30 Nov 2005 12:36AM GMT 
Jade 1 Dec 2005 5:22AM GMT 
CarolHerrick3... 22 Feb 2010 9:58PM GMT 
frostfreedet 14 Apr 2010 10:10PM GMT 
CarolHerrick3... 22 Feb 2010 9:08PM GMT 
tammyoliver26... 2 Jul 2013 12:55AM GMT 
CarolHerrick3... 4 Jul 2013 2:35PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic