Search for content in message boards

Cole Family, Ontario Canada

Replies: 21

Re: Cole Family, Ontario Canada

Posted: 21 Nov 2012 6:06PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Cole and Rutter
I have just been researching this area.

Richard Cole is my 2nd greatgrandfather. I have now verified that his first wife was Catherine Rutter (1810-1842), who was born in Adolphustown, Ontario. She was the daughter on UEL John George Rutter who was originally from Germany. He was only in the U.S. for a short period of time before he had to leave and come to Canada. He actually was in the same expedition as my ancestors from New York City to Sorel Quebec and then on to the Bay of Quinte.

Catharine and Richard arrived in the Brighton area (Northumberland Co), in 1831, soon after they married. The Cole family is of Dutch descent and you can see more info on my Ancestry tree named 'Cole Family Tree". I grew up quite close to that homestead, which has now been bought by another family who demolished the old house. But I still have an image in my head of the house since Richard's two children, Zoa and Grant lived the rest of their lives there and neither ever married.

We still have the front gate from Richard's homestead. I am not sure what caused Catherine's death.

Last August was the 127th annual consecutive Cole Picnic which was held in Codrington, Ontario. All of those present are descendants of Richard and his second wife Henrietta.

Our family has not had much contact with Catherine's children, but I am sure that they are interested what happened to them and their descendants.

Regards

Lorna

Hope that this helps

I would love more info on Catherine's children since there seems to be a gap in my information.

Regards

Lorna Cole
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
alreadydid3 4 Apr 2003 7:41PM GMT 
stefaniecrow 7 May 2006 9:43PM GMT 
alreadydid3 8 May 2006 2:25AM GMT 
Stefanie 8 May 2006 2:48PM GMT 
alreadydid3 24 May 2006 5:27PM GMT 
Stefanie 31 May 2006 6:08PM GMT 
alreadydid3 1 Jun 2006 4:41AM GMT 
stefanie 1 Jun 2006 1:52PM GMT 
lornacole 22 Nov 2012 1:06AM GMT