Search for content in message boards

Cole Foot Prints, lookups again

Replies: 73

Re: Cole Foot Prints, lookups again

Posted: 18 May 2010 10:34AM GMT
Classification: Query
Joycene,

In case you're not aware of the book, "The Forest of Appoquinimink" by Clifford Pryor, 1975, here is info that it contains on the family you're referencing. There were very few copies of the book printed; we found one in the Delaware Historical Society in Wilmington.

Regarding Peregrine Cole:

Peregrine's baptism was sponsored by Jacob and Sarah Reynolds.

The Reverend John Tessier performed the wedding ceremony between Peregrine and Elizabeth; John Cole and Benjamin Welden were the witnesses.

The Coles lived on a farm of 75 acres which was part of the 203 acres granted to Joseph Welden by William Penn in 1701. This land came to Peregrine by purchase and by right of his wife, Elizabeth.

In the listing of taxable persons and estates of the Appoquinimink Hundred of 1787 (Scharf's History, p. 118) John, Lambert, Isaac, Archibald and Perry Cole were the poorest of the lot.

A slave of Peregrine Cole's, Grace, had a daughter named Juliana, born December, 1792, and baptised by The Reverend Marechal of the Old Bohemia Roman Catholic Church.

Peregrine Cole served in the DE State Militia sometime between 1800 and the period of the War of 1812.

The Assessment List of 1813 shows Peregrine Cole's assessment as follows:

2 horses -- $40.00
1 yr. old -- 10.00
2 cows -- 12.00
4 yearlings -- 8.00
2 calves -- 1.50
Swine -- 3.50
1 dog -- 1.00
Capitation tax -- $134.00

In 1822, the tax list shows 72 acres of woodland, 35 acres improved and 1 log house.

Inventory of the Goods & Chattels which were of Peregrin Cole, appraised by David Hall and Ira E Lyons, 2nd of August 1826:

Wearing Apparel $5.00
Bed & Bedding 8.00
Bed & Bedding 8.00
Bed & Bedding 8.00
Blankets 10.00
1 Bureau 4.00
2 Chairs 2.50
2 Young Cattle 11.00
1 Sow & Pigs 5.00
17 Head of Sheep 17.00
1 Sorrel Horse 15.00
1 Yoke of Oxen 2.00
1 Old Horse 5.00
2 Linen Bags .50
One Pine Table 1.00
2 Pair of Andirons 2.00
Shovel & tongs .50
2 Guns 4.00 each
2 Sythes & Cradles 2.00 each
3 Plows 8.00 each
1 Cow 8.00 each
1 Cow 8.00 each
1 Cow 8.00 each
2 Calves 5.00
7 Hogs 14.00
1 Colt 25.00
1 Saddle & Bridle 1.75
1 Ox Cart 7.00

The appraised value was $196.45
Elizabeth Cole, Administratrix
The administratrix was charged with the goods and chattles of the deceased specified in the inventory. The sale amounted to $356.61.

Disbursements were - Digging grave - $1.00
John Pennington coffin 8.00
Joseph Fleming Funeral expense $8.00

There were no other debts. Estate settled November 19, 1827. Peregrine Cole was buried on his farm in what was later known as the Reynolds Burial Ground.

Article in The Delmarva Starr, January, 1934:
Prominent Cole Family of Ohio Trace Lineage to Delaware Log Cabin;
Ancient Edifice, Counterpart of Lincoln Home, Landmark for Two Centuries:

One of the oldest and most interesting landmarks on the Eastern Shore which teems with noted antiquaria, is the log cabin which stands on the farm of Reese Ford, about four miles from Blackbird, in New Castle County, and about the same distance from Green Spring.

From the Lincoln-like structure came the long line of statesmen who have blazed an indelible train in American history.

This structure is believed to have been built by Perrigrain Cole in 1798 or thereabouts and he and his family resided there for a number of years. Mr. Cole was the father of seven children who, on becoming large enough to work, helped him to till the place, which comprised but a few acres, probably five or six. The great-grandchildren of this early settler are now scattered throughout the State of Ohio but the most of them are residing in Seneca and Hancock counties, of the state. There are now about 1200 Coles scattered throughout Ohio and most of them are descendants of Parrigrain Cole and who settled in Delaware (as far back in the state as 1798) and the builder of the log cabin. There were seven grandchildren, two of whom are Congressmen, James Ralph Cole and his brother, Clinton Cole, who are representing their districts in Congress at the present time. The log cabin is still remarkably well preserved in spite of its age but is now used for storing supplies on the farm.

A subsequent story:
Log Cabin Near Townsend an Interesting Reminder of Other Days,
by James W. Lattomus:

The picture of the Cole Homestead in last Sunday's Star and the article in relation to were very interesting to me.

I was raised within a mile of it and the old log structure is one of the first houses I remember. When I was a small child a maid of my mother's lived there and I was frequently at the place. I can picture now in my mind the old log house and the open well with its bucket and sweep. At that time it was occupied by a venerable man by the name of James Melvin but was owned by James Reynolds, whose mother was Sarah Cole, daughter of Peregrine Cole.

According to the deed records of New Castle County, Peregrine Cole in 1811 purchased of two of the heirs of Abraham Wheldon two-sevenths interest in the farm then supposed to contain about seventy-five acres. There is no record of how he became possessed of the remainding five-sevenths. There is an Andrew Wheldon and a Benjamin Wheldon mentioned in the above deeds and as one of the Cole children was named Andrew and another Benjamin it it possible that the wife of Peregrine Cole was a daughter of Abraham Wheldon and he became possessed of part of the land through her.

When Peregrine Cole died does not appear upon the records of New Castle County but he died prior to May 16, 1828, as on that date his daughter, Elizabeth conveyed her "one equal seventh part of an undivided piece or parcel of land late of Perrigrine Cole, deceased, adjoining the Linkhorn Tract" to James Reynolds, Jr, who had married Sarah Cole, her sister. This is the only deed in which Cole's given name is spelled otherwise than Peregrine.

The Cole Farm remained in the possession of the Reynolds family until 1912. Since that time it has had several owners.

Regarding John Cole:

John Cole was a farmer of Appoquinimink forest, DE. The Cole family was of the early settlers of the Forest of Appoquinimink, having moved from Maryland because of religious dissension against Catholics.

He was survived by the five sons and the one daughter listed, as well as three grandsons--William and Archibald Cole and John Reynolds. The listing of the inventory of his estate follows (Hall of Records -- Dover, DE):

Inventory of John Cole April 26, 1782

1 Black Horse 5
1 Bay Mare 8
1 White Hefer 1
1 Red Hefer 2
1 Brindle Cow & Calf 2
1 Black Cow & 1 Red Cow 4
1 Round Table 10 S
1 Box 10 S
1 Trunk 12 S-6d
1 Boat 3-7 S-6d
1 Bed & Rug 5 S
2 Beakers 17 S-8d
2 prs. of old tongs & 2 pots 10 S
1 pr. of Hand yarn 7 S-6d
6 plates & 1 dish 1 18 S-0d
2 Dishes 1 12 S-6d
2 old Hockels 5 S
Some Flax & Yarn
Some wearing apparel 3
1 Frying Pan 4
1 Small Table 7 S-6d
1 Hive of Bees 10 S
2 Old Pot Hooks & Skillets 1 S

Appraisers:
Jacob Runnels
Abraham Weldon

Sworn before Wm. Alfree 18th of August, 1783.

That ends the info I'm showing from this book. I can provide more info if you're interested.

My interest is in a John Cole, born in DE, who had a son named Perry. This John was born in 1778, too early to be a son of the Apppoquinimink Peregrine, who was married 1st in 1790, then 2nd in 1795. However, my John Cole named 5 of his 13 children (John, Sarah, Wm, Benj, Eliz) the same as 5 of Peregrine's 9 children, and also named one of them Perry. I feel there's a connection somehow; maybe my John is Peregrine's cousin? My John and Perry moved to OH around 1812, eventually settling in Seneca Co, with John dying there in 1849 of cholera.

Would you (or anyone else?) happen to have anything on my John Cole (m. Hannah Berkwed) or Perry Cole (b. 1809, m. Jemima Moore, d. 1883)?

Larry Jones

SubjectAuthorDate Posted
jdpowell621 1 May 2009 10:01PM GMT 
ljones60 18 May 2010 4:34PM GMT 
dswjm97 28 Jul 2011 4:26AM GMT 
Joycene Harwo... 7 Apr 2013 7:11AM GMT 
Tirrell8 18 May 2010 7:36PM GMT 
Tirrell8 18 May 2010 7:49PM GMT 
lcole156 31 May 2010 12:26AM GMT 
jdpowell621 4 Jun 2010 6:31PM GMT 
vadigger66 4 Jun 2010 5:39PM GMT 
jdpowell621 4 Jun 2010 6:13PM GMT