Search for content in message boards

COLE Family of NY State

Replies: 51

Re: Coles of New York

Posted: 3 Sep 2007 10:29PM GMT
Classification: Query
I would like to exchange information - thank you very much.
I have since six years ago found Ransom was a Civil War casualty, and when he died he left Isabel destitute. The Coles moved west to Michigan, like many others from Jefferson County did. The family lived first in Emmet County, apparently with some Cole relative, and then moved south to Caledonia in Kent County (along the way of the railroad progression). There are many Cole's living in Caledonia with same "different" names as those in Jefferson County, but I cannot find the relation to Ransom or Nicholas, especially Alanson Cole. I know Alfred & Mina Cole, while living across County in Clayton, were married in Therese M.E. Church, Jefferson County, and many other Coles (Harrison Cole, for one) are registered there, but I cannot find the relation in the census records or church records. I have requested copy and received Ransom's war papers from the U.S. govt. I also found Ransom's father was Nicholas Cole, who married Margaret Gould. Nicholas was born in Elisabeth Town, Leeds, Ontario. His father was John Cole and his mother Catherine (Caty) Cole. Due to the time and place, I am guessing that John Cole was a Loyalist, as he was living where all the Loyalists were granted land on the north side of the St. Lawrence River, on the Northwest Side, across the water from Jefferson County, NY. John & Catherine had at least five children: Nicholas, Peter, Sarah, Catheright Charity, and Rachel. I am trying to find out more about John Cole, but have not had luck at that yet.
Any information you have is appreciated. I will also share what I have. Thank You.
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
Madelain Cole Peters 7 Jul 1999 5:57PM GMT 
D_Cole|MA8638... 2 Oct 2001 12:07AM GMT 
sheryl8564 2 Sep 2007 11:07PM GMT 
dolmstcole 4 Sep 2007 4:29AM GMT 
DChestelson 30 Nov 2012 7:19PM GMT 
Julia Harrison 10 May 1999 12:56PM GMT 
Charlene Hollyman 17 Jun 1999 9:38PM GMT 
dvanhoose 22 Jun 1999 5:06PM GMT 
marciadoodle 19 Aug 1999 6:48AM GMT 
Priscilla 25 Sep 2001 5:54PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions