Search for content in message boards

Nathan Cole, Benjamin Cole, Sabra Brown, Iscar Keep - NY

Replies: 10

Re: Nathan Cole, Benjamin Cole, Sabra Brown, Iscar Keep - NY

Posted: 1 Dec 2012 12:11AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Cole, Coal, Cowle, Coole, Chester, Kool, Waters, Hawley, Tillapaugh, Palmer, Blote
Some misc. notes from my COLE/NY LOG might help you.
p. 335-336: 3737. COLE. "The early genealogies of the Cole families in America" (including Coles and Cowles). With some account of the "descendants of James Cole", by Hartford, CT (1635-1652) and of "Thomas Cole, of Salem, Mass (1649-1672)" by Frank T. Cole. Columbus O (Printed by Hann & Adair for the author), 1887. CS71.C69 1887 Microfilm 18467.

3740. COLE. "The descendants of James COLE of Plymouth, 1633; also a record of the families ... with a complete record of the Cole, Coole, and Cowle families of American in the revolution", by Ernest Byron Cole, New York, The Grafton Press, 1908. CS71.C69

3755. "COLE, Daniel and Ruth CHESTER; notes on some of their descendants", prepared by Gustave Swift Paine. NY and Soutbury, CT, 1946. CS71.C69

Source: Goggle Cole Genealogy Books in LOC:http://books.google.com.au/books?id=-he3ju_Sm-cC&pg=PA33...

SA: Coal, Kool, Coole, Cowle

This one I just found in: "The history of Rock County, Wisconsin: its early settlement, growth, development, resources, etc"
Western Historical Company, 1879 Janesville (Wis) 897 pp.
18 May 2002 - JOHN COLE, a native of Montgomery County, came to Brownville in 1802, among the early settlers, and located upon a farm near Perch River, now known as the "Cole farm". In the early days the town meetings were held upon this farm. Mr. Cole died here at the age of 81 years. He married Polly WATERS, and their children were: Walter, Samuel, John, Betsey, Abigail, Margaret, Clarissa and Polly.
John married Elizabeth ?, daughter of Seth and Mary Cole, of Bennington, Vt., and they had children as follows: Mary, Elizabeth, Caroline, George, Jane, Edward and Byron. The latter, born in this town, where he now resides, married Annie, daughter of Clement and Betsey (Hamilton) HAWLEY, of Perch River, and they had four children, viz: Earl B., Josie M., Grace D., and John.
Francis Cole, brother of John, the early settler here, served in the Revolutionary War, and was made prisoner by the Indians at Fort Stanwix, when 15 years of age, and was taken to an

*island in the St. Lawrence River, and sold or given to a merchant in Lower Canada**
where he remained many years. He finally removed to this town, and later to Watertown, where he died.

[** This I find interesting in searching for Sylvanus Cole who drowned in St. Lawrence Waterway around 1818 when his second son Nelson Washington Cole was born in Brownville. Nelson's Mother (Tillapaugh) was first married to Sylvanus COle reported to be a soldier. I have found more interesting coincidences around Dunkirk, "The Coles of Canadaway" and Chatauqua, NY. Rumours are Sylvanus' father could be a Moses or William Cole. WIlliam Cole was early founder in LeRay, Blue Earth, MN and was from LeRay, Jefferson County, New York whose grandson was later established in and around Janesville, Rock County, New York with Palmer family from Brookfield, Madision County, New York, Rutland, Dane County, Wisconsin to Darien, Walworth Co., WI to Brookings, SD]

I thought of these notes when you mentioned Canada and wonder if that could be Francis Cole, brother of John Cole.

Keep me posted.

Beth Blote

SubjectAuthorDate Posted
vegcousin 11 Mar 2007 2:54PM GMT 
dallehouse 23 May 2009 3:49AM GMT 
vegcousin 24 May 2009 3:21PM GMT 
dallehouse 26 May 2009 12:22PM GMT 
gwinifred 1 Dec 2012 7:11AM GMT 
vegcousin 3 Dec 2012 2:39PM GMT 
gwinifred 1 Dec 2014 7:02AM GMT 
vegcousin 1 Dec 2014 1:18PM GMT 
DChestelson 4 Dec 2014 2:57AM GMT