Search for content in message boards

Cole/Graham/Beach connection in Pennsylvania?

Replies: 0

Cole/Graham/Beach connection in Pennsylvania?

Posted: 16 Jun 2014 10:27AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Cole, Graham, Beach, Dann, McMullen, Jackson, Boyles, Spencer, Andrews, Hoagland, Stratton, Potter, Turner, Van Dusen, Bixby

Background first, then specifics later...

According to DNA results, my mother (maiden name Beach), is in second cousin range with another person (maiden name Graham). This should mean they share g-gparent or 2g-gparent. I have been researching both sides for a while, and still am unable to find the connection. Both are still alive, so I'd prefer to share details on their grandparents or before.

Mom Beach's 8 great grandparents...
Adelbert Beach (1847-1927) and wife Mary Hoagland (1847-?) from Bradford, PA and Schuyler, NY
Charles Stratton (1841-1906) and wife Rachel Potter (1837-1913) from Lycoming, PA
Charles Turner (1866-?) and Franke VanDusen (1867-?) from Otsego, NY
Orin Bixby (1859-1904) and Stella Bixby (1861-1919) from Bradford PA, and Tioga, NY

Mom's family seemed to focus around Otsego County, NY to Bradford County, PA.

Now, the assumed 2nd cousin female Graham's 8 great grandparents...
Leander Graham (1816-1859) and wife Rebecca (Lydia) Cole (1819-1892) from CT and Lycoming PA
Harvey Dann (1812-1886) and Azuba McMullen (1815-1900) from Lackawanna and Bradford, PA
George Jackson (1841-1919) and Martha Boyles (1848-1907) from UK to Lycoming/Tioga, PA
Anthony Spencer (1847-1929) and Clarissa Andrews (1851-1905) from Bradford/Tioga, PA

Other relatives in the Graham line are also 4th-6th cousin matches, so I'm leaning towards the Graham branch being the graft point, but, as you can see, there are no visible connections between the two lines in any of the 8 pairs of g-grandparents. I have gone back on both families to as many generations as I can trace for each branch, but to no avail.

Now to the meat of the question....

The continuing mystery in the Graham side that has plagued many researchers is the lineage of Rebecca Cole, but I have not found any Cole's in my maternal side that would bring her back into the fold either - unless Cole is not her actual maiden name.

Rebecca (sometimes called Lydia on the census) was labeled multiple times as born in New York. She married Leander G in Delaware County, NY around 1836, and they appear in Hancock,NY in 1840 census, living near a Jacob Cole family. (No ties found there yet).

I haven't located them in the NY 1855 census, and Leander passed in 1859 in Lycoming, PA, so I'm guessing they moved to PA 1851-1854 until proven otherwise.

Rebecca was also labeled by the census taker as a Newman in 1860 in Scott, Wayne, PA with her children after her husband passed, but I've found no evidence that corroborates the reference. In 1870 she's a Graham again, with her children in Scott, PA again. In 1880 she's with son Lorenzo's family in Tioga, PA. I haven't located any post-1880 census or death/gravesite info to identify her passing or burial location, but still tracing based on an assumption that she stayed around Wayne county, and passed prior to 1900, since she's not been found in 1900 census.

Any hints or epiphanies?

Thanks in advance for making it this far in this verbose entry, and for any help and/or corrections!

Scot

Find a board about a specific topic