Search for content in message boards

Jarvis Collins on the 1860 and 1880 census forms

Replies: 2

Jarvis Collins on the 1860 and 1880 census forms

Posted: 16 Nov 2010 2:05PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Collins, Sewell, Powell, Henson
An ancestor of mine named Jarvis (aka Jarvey) Collins shows up on the 1880 Census, living in Breathitt County, Kentucky, with his wife Mary E. Collins (nee Sewell).

I've been trying to find out who his parents were, and I'm now pretty sure that they were Alfred Collins and Delilah Henson. This would make sense as there are rumors that Jarvis' father or mother was wholely or part Cherokee (Alfred and Delilah are listed as 'mulatto' in several census records).

On the 1880 census, I'm 99% sure that Jarvis was counted twice. One, at his home with Mary in Jackson, Breathitt county, under the name Jarvey. Another at his parents' house in Powell County, Kentucky, under the name Jarva. I'm sure this is correct because the difference in age is only different by a year, because of the almost identical name, and because in the form from Powell County, 'Jarva' is listed as married, but there is no woman in the house besides the mother listed as married. I'm thinking, maybe, there was a mistake when the census taker arrived. Maybe he took down Jarvis' name and thought he lived there? Maybe Alfred and Delilah mentioned him as a son, and the census taker thought he lived there? Is that reasonable?

On the 1860 census, I think Jarvis is listed under the name 'Jarry', as the son of Alfred and Delilah. This would also confirm rumors of one of his parents being part Native American, as the entire family on the 1860 census is listed as 'mulatto' which was also used for those who were half Native American and half white.

I hope my guess about Jarvis being counted twice in 1880 is reasonable as far as census records go. If not, I'm not sure who Jarvis' parents were.
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
metroguy4513 16 Nov 2010 9:05PM GMT 
Sharron Filer 6 Feb 2011 9:59PM GMT 
Mac2010 20 Nov 2012 2:45PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic