Search for content in message boards

Wife of George Cowan c1800 Rowan

Replies: 3

Wife of George Cowan c1800 Rowan

Posted: 20 Feb 2013 8:30AM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 20 Feb 2013 10:20AM GMT
Surnames: Cowan, Jenkins
I found a wife of a George Cowan, however, which George Cowan I don't know. My research focus is the Fosters of Rowan County, and at the moment I am in a thicket of Cowans trying to understand the Fosters.

I am neither a Foster nor a Cowan. I am researching the Foster line for my aunt, who didn't know she was a Foster!

This wife has been hiding in plain sight. When I reviewed the Cowan posts I didn't find a reference to her, so I hope this is new information.

I found her documented in a deed abstract which is included in Kluttz's book of Abstracts of Rowan County Deed Books 20-24, Item # 403.

"p. 399. 24 Aug 1811. George Cowan and wf Polly to Charles Fisher for $60 [?], lot #33 in West Sq of Salisbury. It was a lot conveyed from Hugh Foster to Hugh Jenkins who devised it to his two granddaughters, Jean Cowan and Polly Cowan. Mary Thomas Cowan also signed. Wit: Jno Fulton, Jacob Fisher. Prvd by Fisher at May Ct. 1814."

In his 10 May 1800 will, Hugh Jenkins identifies his daughter Ann as the wife of William Cowan, and identifies his granddaughters Jane & Polly as the daughters of William Cowan. Jenkins is giving a 50% share of Lot #33 to each granddaughter, so at some point Mary acquires her sister's half.

The William Cowan who fits with the above has a will dated 5/6/1806 and names exactly 2 daughters: a Jancy/Janey (or maybe something else) and a Mary.

I have seen Jean/Jane used interchangeably and Polly is a nickname for Mary.

I think the reference to Hugh Foster is in his official capacity, it is not a reference to him personally.

Here are my questions:

Is it now possible to place this George Cowan in a particular line, and if so, which one.

What is the relationship between George & Mary before they wed? Do they share a common ancestor?

This is the first time I have seen a female with what I assume is a middle name.

Is the surname Thomas connected to the Cowans? If not, was she named after a Thomas Cowan, and if so, which one? My immediate assumption would be Thomas is her father, but she is the daughter of William Cowan.

When I previewed this post it showed one big paragraph. If it posts this way, I would appreciate someone telling me how to show paragraph breaks.
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
knocksanon 20 Feb 2013 3:30PM GMT 
tjohncowan 20 Feb 2013 9:10PM GMT 
knocksanon 20 Feb 2013 10:39PM GMT 
knocksanon 21 Feb 2013 2:43PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic