Search for content in message boards

COX family in Southwest Arkansas AND John COX family of VA - TN - MO - AR (late 1700s-1840s)

Replies: 15

COX family in Southwest Arkansas AND John COX family of VA - TN - MO - AR (late 1700s-1840s)

Posted: 11 Jan 2002 3:59PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 2 May 2003 8:51PM GMT
Looking for more info on the John Cox family. John was born in 1787 in Virginia (my ggg-gf). His family history as I know it, follows:

Oral family tradition states that my JOHN COX of Hempstead County AR (Carouse/Redland Twp.; later became part of
Nevada County) and ABNER COX (of Carouse Township & also Missouri Twp.) were definitely kin. It is known that Abner Cox's father was William Cox (probably Sr.; born abt 1760s in VA), and that William Cox married Elizabeth Neal in Jefferson County TN in 1797. They moved to Cape Girardeau County MO, and by 1804, they had four children. By 1805, they had moved to Sevier County Arkansas (very near Nevada & Hempstead Counties)and William died there in the 1840s. This
William Cox is believed to be the older brother, uncle, or father of our John Cox.

Family tradition says John, Abner & William Cox entered the military together at Franklin, Tennessee, fought in the War of 1812 & were discharged one year later at Franklin TN (Williamson County). John applied for a war pension in 1851. His affidavit stated "I neglected to get my discharge papers when me and my father parted." Father was alive in 1814. Bounty land was never awarded. (COCKE may also be spelling for COX in records.)

John Cox appears on the 1812-1816 Williamson County TN tax list (same John Cox?) owning 60 acres on the West Harpeth River, then he disappears from the tax list after 1816.

Our John Cox is known to have married Sarah (born 1808 NC; probably maiden surname Nelson). John was 21 yrs. older
than Sarah, so he may have also been married previously; it is told that he married in 1820-1821, but it is uncertain
whether that date was to Sarah or a prior wife. From 1816 to 1830, John's location is unknown!?

Nathan Cox may be John's son by a first marriage; Nathan appears in the 1850 census in Hempstead County AR census
(later became Nevada Co.) in Carouse (Terre Rouge) Township owning land very near Abner Cox & John Cox. Abner is also shown owning land in Missouri Township, which adjoins Carouse.

The story is told by one of John Cox's gg-granddaughters that John married in TN and crossed over to Arkansas in 1821
near Memphis. While camping there, Indians stole one of John's children during the night. When the child was missed, the men went after the Indians and managed to retrieve the child. By Sarah, John had children: Thomas, Nelson, Abram
(Abraham), James, William Calvin & Sarah J. in AR.

John, Abner & William Cox (may be Wm Jr.) appear in the 1830 and 1840 censuses as heads of households in Hempstead
County Arkansas (later Nevada Co in southwest AR). In 1850, John and son James are on the Hempstead Co. census, and
William and Abner appear in Ouachita County census (boundary change but it's the same area).

Oral family tradition also says that when the Civil War began, some of the Cox men "went back" to fight for the Union (maybe to Kentucky), but John's sons James & William Calvin Cox stayed and joined the Confederates.

Abner Cox (born in 1806 in MO) married: wife #1 Mary Polly A. Rice (born in MO) and in 1849 wife #2 Mary Cribbage(sp?). Abner had several children, including Sara & William A. Cox. Sara was born 1850 in Ouachita County AR (Red Hill Twp) and married George Fairchild in 1871. William A. Cox became a Judge in the 1870s (as well as a minister) in Ouachita County AR, which adjoins Nevada County.

John Cox's grandson Lee Cox eloped with Molly Baker in 1903 and went to Junction City AR on the train to Judge William
A. Cox's home to be married by him.

My lineage: John Cox/ James (Jim) Cox/ Levi David Cox/ George Nelson Cox/ Pershing Cox/ Cathy Cox Straley (all
generations lived in Redland/Carouse Township, Nevada County, Arkansas).

ANYONE WITH CONNECTIONS OR MORE INFO, PLEASE LET ME KNOW & I CAN SHARE MANY PHOTOS & FAMILY TREE INFO.
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
@@dustyrds@ai... 11 Jan 2002 10:59PM GMT 
karenpcox 13 Jan 2002 8:07PM GMT 
CStraley1 13 Jan 2002 8:19PM GMT 
karenpcox 25 Jan 2002 2:35AM GMT 
@@dustyrds@ai... 26 Jan 2002 5:46PM GMT 
DianaCox51 27 Jan 2002 7:13PM GMT 
wanda_haines 9 Feb 2002 10:53PM GMT 
@@dustyrds@ai... 12 Feb 2002 2:03AM GMT 
wanlarhan 12 Feb 2002 3:25AM GMT 
nater76 11 Mar 2013 2:43PM GMT 
per page