Search for content in message boards

Craftons from Virginia to Kentucky.

Replies: 7

Re: Craftons from Virginia to Kentucky.

Posted: 20 Sep 2010 8:22PM GMT
Classification: Query
I'm sorry for the long delay in responding. I've been working on getting the website craftonbooks.com up and running and hope to have it on-line in a month or so. It will contain a summary of volume 1 of the book I've been working on for 15 years on the Craftons of Virginia. Volume 1 will be available some time in 2011.

It appears that the Craftons you're interested in are going to be in Volume 2. Since I'm concentrating on volume 1, I've only done some preliminary work on Craftons in your line at this point. So please take the following with a grain of salt...or two.

Armand seems to have been one of three Crafton siblings to marry in Sumner Co., TN between 1826 and 1828. You probably already know the other two: Polly who married Peter Davis and Hezekiah who married Sally Massey. These two marriages were two days apart in August 1826.

My research for volume 1 fails to connect the three Sumner Craftons with any of the Craftons who moved from Lunenburg Co., VA to Middle Tennessee or to Kentucky in the early 1800s. So there's definitely some mystery as to their parentage. I think that these three Craftons may be children of the James Crafton who married Sally C. Davis, the daughter of Henry Davis, in Warren Co., KY on 10 June 1817. Since the three Sumner Craftons married just 9 to 11 years after their presumed father, they could not have been children of the former Sally Davis. They would instead have had to be the product of an earlier marriage of James Crafton.

Based on James Crafton's reported age in the 1820 and 1840 censuses of Warren, he was born in the period 1771-1775 and was, therefore, between 42 and 46 years old when he married in Warren. So it's very likely that James's marriage to Sally Davis in Warren was indeed his second.

It's interesting that a second Hezekiah Crafton arose among the Warren County Craftons in 1837 and he seems to be a late-born son of old James Crafton himself...and presumably the former Sally Davis this time. He appears in the Logan Co., KY census along with other Craftons that can be mapped back to James Crafton's household. So that's a further clue that the first Hezekiah Crafton and his two presumed sisters in Sumner were produced by James Crafton of Warren.

Another of James Crafton's sons was named Bennett and this son later cited Virginia as his father's birthplace. Based on this and the use of the name Bennet, I believe that James Crafton must have come to Kentucky directly from King William County, VA or one of its neighboring counties in the early 1800s. Y-DNA data that one of James's descendants has gathered matches that of the Crafton males who originated in King William County including James Crafton, the man who married Keren-happuch in King William and later moved his family to Lunenburg Co., VA.

Nevertheless, James of Warren Co., KY does not appear to be a descendant of James and Keren-happuch of King William and Lunenburg. This couple had two sons who brought their families to KY and one son who brought his family to Middle Tennessee. All three of these Crafton men had sons named James, but as volume 1 shows, they can all be accounted. None of them could be James Crafton of Warren County.

Hope this is useful. If you have any data concering Armand (Crafton) Roney after her marriage that would one day help with the preparation of volume 2 I'd love to discuss it with you. Feel free to contact me at crohtun@aol.com.

Ray Crafton
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
Faith1951 13 Apr 2010 10:58PM GMT 
crafton-perry 14 Apr 2010 2:53PM GMT 
LouiseChismLa... 14 Aug 2010 4:03AM GMT 
crafton-perry 21 Sep 2010 2:22AM GMT 
LouiseChismLa... 23 Sep 2010 3:19AM GMT 
k2w22830 29 Feb 2012 6:31PM GMT 
crafton-perry 27 Mar 2012 3:37PM GMT 
Billy_Brown21 23 Aug 2012 1:21PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions