Search for content in message boards

BRIEF Cress Family History: Valentine, George, and Isaac

Replies: 0

BRIEF Cress Family History: Valentine, George, and Isaac

Posted: 31 Dec 2005 11:35PM GMT
Classification: Query
This Cress family was mentioned in a book I have of a totally unrelated family. The following from the book _The Arnolds and Leonards of Marion Cty Indiana_ by Arnold and Edith Fisher 1966, but I thought I'd post the Cress info here in case somebody is interested.

The page was originally written by Margaret McLain who married John Moore.

NO DATES were given, and all I know of the place is that Kentucky and Indiana is where they lived as adults. It is said that some of the ladies listed below were from Lexington KY. Henry Cress was from Indianapolis Marion Co Perry Twp.

From the book:
Cress family came from Germany. Original family name was supposedly Kress Von Kressenstine; the K was changed to C because it could be made with one stroke and therefore no wasted motion.

Valentine Cress and Betsey Bishop came from Germany abt 1750 and settled in Maryland near the VA state line. She talked much of Havre DeGrasse and it is assumed to be her native city.

Valentine had two brothers, George Cress who settled in Columbus County (sic), Ohio and Isaac Cress who went to Canada and nothing is known about him. He had a sister (given name not mentioned) who married a man named Bishop. (Could he have been a brother of Elizabeth Bishop Cress, Valentine's wife?)

Valentine enlisted in the Revolutionary War, enlisting at age 19 but was never in battle as the war ended shortly after his enlistment. They moved form MD to KY when that state was settled.

Dates are unkown of his death, but Betsey Bishop Cress died in Cinty. Most of the family lived long lives -- her father lived to 105, her mother to 106, apparently remaining in Germany) The book doesn't say it, but Laura Bell Cress lived to be 95.

Valentine & Betsey had 10 children. The following is what is known of their names and the people they married but no dates were recorded.

The information is from the book _The Arnolds and Leonards of Marion Cty Indiana_ by Arnold and Edith Fisher 1966. It is from oral stories and family folklore.

Kitty Cress-Glasco
Polly Cress - Morris
Susan Cress - Aquilla Sampson
Peggy Cress - James
Isabel Cress - Forter
Sallie Cress- Brambrager
Valentine Cress, Jr - Lydia
Henry Cress - BORN 3-27-1864. 1st Sallie Sherwood (I think they had one child named Rebecca Cress), 2nd Survilla Jane Eudaily Neale Arnold (they had one daughter named Laura Bell Cress born in 1865 who died in 1960, 3rd Mary Scott
George Cress- Joann (Litton)

I thought it was neat because it has people's nicknames instead of the legal names.

The information is from the book _The Arnolds and Leonards of Marion Cty Indiana_ by Arnold and Edith Fisher 1966. Originaly information wirtten down by Margaret McLain who married John Moore. Submitted to the book by Rachel McLain.

Suzy Wert

Find a board about a specific topic