The Morris Family:
Hammond Morris (I) was born 25 December 1733 in Walkertown, North Farnham Parish, Richmond County, Virginia and died November-December 1810 in Stokes County, North Carolina, testate. His will was written 20 October 1810 and recorded December Term, 1810. He gave his sons various sums of money: William, Jesse, Travis, Thomas, John, Hammond, Shadrack and Presley and to Presley, all my land; Daughter Elizabeth was given money and furniture; Hammond served in Revolutionary War and married Mrs. Mary Tuttle Brown, daughter of Peter Tuttle and Mary. Children of Hammond Morris and Mary Tuttle:
1. William Morris, b. 28 Feb 1754 in Richmond Co, Va; d. NC; m. 1/ Courtney Susan Delaney; m. 2/ 18 Sep 1802 in Stokes Co, NC to Alene Francis
2. Jesse Morris, b. 6 Mar 1756 in Richmond Co; d. 1807 in Mecklenburg Co, Va; m. Jane Pointer; moved to Morristown, Tennessee and then to Madison Co, Mo; Jesse Morris served in Rev. War..
3. Travis Morris, b. 12 Jun 1758 in Richmond Co. m. Miss. ______ Kiser; lived in Stokes Co, NC; then to Illinois and finally Â“west.Â’
4. Thomas Morris, b. 1759; m. 4 Jan 1786 in Surry Co, Va to Susannah Appleton
5. Elizabeth Morris, b. 1761 Prince William Co, Va; d. before 1850; buried in Fry Cemetery in Giles Co, Tn; m. 1/ Henry Frey; 2/ Parks Bailey
6. John Morris, b. 1763, Prince William Co, Va; d. Cooper Co, Mo; m. Mary ___
7. Shadrack Morris
8. Presley Morris
9. Hammond Morris (II) was born 1768 in Prince William County, Virginia and died 1859 at the advanced age of 91 in Vermont Township, Cooper County, Missouri. He was buried there in a graveyard on the John McColloch farm. Hammond married possibly in (Stokes County, North Carolina before 1794 to Margaret Petree, born 1770 and died between 1840-1850 in Cooper County. After living in North Caroline, they moved first to Kentucky and to Howard County, Missouri by 1818. It is said the Hammonds were of German descent. At one time, they owned 13 slaves. Margaret was daughter of Jacob Petree, born 1722 and Anna Eva Kuehnlin, born 1720. Jacob Petree served in Revolutionary War as a Patriot.
Three Morris girls married two Kimsey brothers and one Crawley.
Martha Morris married Thomas Kimsey and Elizabeth Morris married Benjamin Kimsey, both sons of James Kimsey and Mary Crowley.
Sister Rebecca Morris married Josiah Crowley and sister Malinda married Hugh Baxter. Three of their daughters married their Kimsey cousins.
The children of Hammond Morris (II) and Margaret Petree (not in order of birth):
1. Martha Â“PatsyÂ” Morris, b. 1794 Stokes Co, NC; d. 1 Mar 1875 in Platte Co, Mo; m. 1/ Claiborne Hill; m. 2/ 25 Dec 1821 in Howard Co, Mo to Thomas Kimsey, b. 1796 Franklin/Jackson Co, Ga; d. 1865 Platte Co, Mo; son of James Kimsey (I) and Mary Crowley.
2. Elizabeth Morris, b. 1800 Stokes Co, NC; m. 1820 in Howard Co, Mo to Benjamin Kimsey, b. 1794 in Franklin Co, Ga; d. 1876 in Platte Co, Mo; son of James Kimsey (I) and Mary Crowley.
3. Rebecca Morris, married 1/ 14 Jan 1820 in Howard Co, Mo to Josiah Crowley; Rebecca m. 2/ Snowden Tevis after the death of her sister, Susannah Morris Tevis, his first wife.
4. Malinda Morris, married 30 Dec 1824 to Hugh Baxter, lived in Cooper Co, Mo and raised a large family: The children of Hugh Baxter and Malinda Morris, sister of Martha Kimsey and Elizabeth Kimsey:
1. Edmond Baxter, m. 29 Dec 1849 in Cooper Co, Mo to Anna White
2. Sarah Baxter, m. 22 Jun 1851 in Cooper Co, Mo to James C. Cox
3. Lucinda Baxter, m. 6 Feb 1851 in Cooper Co, Mo to William P. Woods
4. Serilda Baxter, b. 2 Oct 1828 Mo; d. between 1857-8 Cooper Co, Mo; m. 1/ 6 Feb 1845 Cooper Co to John Stephens, b. 1825 Mo; 2/ 8 Jan 1854 in Cooper Co, Mo to Francis Marion Kimsey, son of Benjamin Kimsey and Elizabeth Morris.
5*Martha Baxter, b. 6 Jun 1835 Cooper Co, Mo; d. 7 Nov 1906 Newton Co, Mo; m. 24 Jun 1858 to Francis Marion Kimsey (1831-1907), son of Benjamin Kimsey and Elizabeth Morris
6. Thomas Baxter, m. 1 Aug 1861 in Cooper Co, Mo to Isabella Slavens
7. Sidney Baxter, m. 26 Jan 1860 in Cooper Co, Mo to Elizabeth Miller
8*Permelia Baxter, m. William DeKalb Kimsey (1834-1906), son of Benjamin Kimsey & Elizabeth Morris
5. Charlotte Â“LottyÂ” Morris, married 29 Oct 1833 in Cooper Co, Mo to Jesse White.
6. Mary Â“PollyÂ” Morris; not named in fatherÂ’s will of 1843; married David Crews.
7. Lucinda Morris, m. 1/ 22 Dec 1836 in Cooper Co to Porter L. Green; m. 2/ after 1843, Jonathan Todd
8. Susanna Morris married Snowden Tevis who m. 2/ Mrs. Rebecca Morris Crowley, widow of Josiah Crowley/CRAWLEY?
9. Shadrack Morris, b. ca 1823; m. Rebecca Â“BeckyÂ” Tevis; he died 6 Aug 1908 at age of 84 years.
Will of Hammond Morris Jr., written 1843 of Cooper Co, Mo; recorded 28 Sep 1859 Cooper Co, Mo:
To my daughter Malinda Baxter, wife of Hugh Baxter
To my daughter Susanna Tevis, wife of Snoden Tevis
To my daughter Charlotte White, wife of Jesse White
To my daughter Lucinda Porter, wife of Green L. Porter.
To my granddaughter, Susan Amanda Woods, daughter of John Woods
To my granddaughter, Darmus Pully, wife of Lorenzo D. Pulley
To my daughter, Rebecca Craly, wife of Josiah Croley
To my daughter, Martha Kimsey, wife of Thomas Kimsey
To my daughter, Elizabeth Kimsey, wife of Benjamin Kimsey.
Edward Morris (II), born 1580 in Wales and died in North Carolina. His children were:
* 1) Nicholas Morris, b. 29 Sep 1605 in England; d. 1664
2) Edward Morris (III)
Nicholas Morris, born 29 September 1605 in England and died 1664. He married Martha Matton. Their children:
* 1) Anthony Morris, b. 1645 England; d. 1685
2) Nicholas Morris
Anthony Morris, born 1645 in England and died 1685. He married 1682 in Virginia to Dorothy Sanford.
* 1) Edward Morris, born 15 July 1665 and died 1717
2) Anthony Morris Jr.
Edward Morris, born 15 July 1665 and died 1717. He married 1687 in Northumberland County, Virginia to Elizabeth Pressley who died by 6 July 1741 testate. Their children were:
* 1) Edward Morris (II); married Elizabeth Hammond
2) John Morris married in Essex County, Virginia to Dorcas Sorrell
3) William Morris married 18 Sep 1802 in Stokes Co, NC to Arlene Francis
4) Jesse Morris
5) Ann Morris married Thomas Hammond
6) Joseph Morris
7) Mary Morris
8) Susannah Morris
9) Elizabeth Morris, b. 5 Aug 1688
After Edward Morris died, his widow Elizabeth Pressley Morris married 2/ Mr. King. Elizabeth wrote her will 21 December 1739 in Richmond County and died by 6 July 1741 when the will was probated (Richmond Co, Va Will Bk 5:386). She named her sons, Edward Morris and William Elder; daughters, Mary Morris and Elizabeth. Executors: William Elder and Mary Morris. Witnessed by John Millner, Richard Meeks and Luke Millner.
Edward Morris II, born about 1688-90; died September 1752; married 25 May 1727 in North Farnham Parish, Richmond County, Virginia to Elizabeth Hammond, daughter of John Hammond/Hamon Sr. and Mary his wife. Edward Morris was a breeches maker by trade and advertised in the Virginia Gazette, the first newspaper published in Virginia. It was a sheet 6x12 inches. Apparently, he went to London from 1734 to 1739 to learn his trade and three of his children, Elizabeth, Anthony and John were born there. Edward and Elizabeth Morris were members of the Episcopal Church in North Farnham Parish.
Children of Edward Morris Jr:
1) Dorcas Morris, b. 29 Apr 1728; pre-dec'd husband? not named in Anthony Tune's will; Dorcas m. 17 Sep 1749 in Richmond Co to Anthony True who wrote his will 3 May 1776 and probated 5 Aug 1776; named his sons, Anthony, John and Jesse; dau, Betty; Exec: Hudson Muse of Farnham Wit: Samuel Dobyns, John Stone (Richmond Co, Va Will Bk 7:215).
2) Winifred Morris, b. 24 Apr 1731 in Richmond Co, Va
3)*Hammond Morris, b. 25 Dec 1733 in Walkertown, North Carolina; d. 1810 in Stokes Co, NC
4) Elizabeth Morris, b. 1734, London, England
5) Mary Morris, b. 1736 in London, England
6) Anthony Morris, b. 1737 in London, England
7) John Morris, b. 1738, London, England; d. 1796; m. Harriet Downing
8) Anne Morris, b. 23 Apr 1739 in Richmond Co, Va.
1751 May 5 - Richmond Co, Va Will Bk 5:712 - Recorded 2 Oct 1752
Will of Edward Morris written 5 May 1751 in Richmond County:
To daughter Dorcas Tune and her son Anthony Tune
To son, Jesse Morris (under age 18)
Wife, Elizabeth Morris, tract of land adjoining George Sanders until son Jesse is 18.
Dau: Winifred Morris
Dau; Anne Morris
*Son: Hammond Morris
Son: John Morris
Executor: Wife Elizabeth Morris
Wit: Charles Dobyns, John Thrift, Henry Miskell.
1752 - ibid - Inventory of Edward Morris, deceased.
John Hammond and Mary:
1706/7 Jan 20 - Richmond Co, Va - Wills & Inventories (1699-1709), page f110r - Probated 5 Mar 1707:
Will of Thomas Woodyyates of Bristol in the Kingdom of Great Britain..
To friends, Job Hammond Jr, William Hammond, JOHN HAMMOND, Jane Thorne, Anne Hammond, Elizabeth Hammond. Executor, Job Hammond Sr. Wit: Martin Hamon, Martin Hamon Jr, John Burk.
1716 Nov 1 - Richmond Co, Va - Wills & Inventories (1709-1717), page 309 - Probated: 3 Apr 1717
John Hammond, Luke Hanks, & Wm. Dudley witnessed will of Sanford Jones written 1 Nov 1716.
1716 Nov 2 - Richmond Co, Va - Wills & Inventories (1709-1717), page 308 - Probated 3 Apr 1717:
John Hamon, Edward Morris and Samuel Baker witnessed will of Thomas Wood written 2 Nov 1716.
1717/18 Mar 22 - Richmond Co, Va - Will Bk 4:18 - Probated 2 Apr 1718
Will of Job Hamon written. To sons, William, JOHN, and Job. Legacy included some Indian Slaves. To
daughter, Joyce; to Hannah Hamon, dau of son William; to Philemon Bird. Executors: Sons, William and John Hammond. Wit: Richard Woollard, John Woollard, Anne Blewford.
1726/27 Feb 1 - Richmond Co, Va - Will Bk 5:28 - Probated 1 Feb 1726/7
John Hammond & Wm. Russell witnessed will of Rebecca Colston
1726 Nov 17 - Richmond Co, Va - Will Bk 5:32 - Probated 1 Feb 1726/7
John Hammond & Patrick Miller witnessed will of Charles Lewis.
1733 Jan 8 - Richmond Co, Va - Will Bk 5:220 - Probated 4 Feb 1733/4
Will of Job Tillery written: to sister, Elizabeth Tillery; to JOHN HAMMOND, son of Martin Hammond. Wit: Rebecca Hudson, Gabriel Alloway
1741/2 Jan 23 - Richmond Co, Va - Will Bk 5:498 - Probated 3 Mar 1745/6
Will of Gabriel Alloway written: To wife Elizabeth the plantation where I now live; son Gabriel land below the plantation; Grandson: William Hammond all land up to the swamp; Grandsons: Absalom and John Hammond; son Alexander THE BRANDY STILL; Executors: sons, Alexander and Gabriel. Wit: Archibald Mitchell, Wm. Lawson. (Note: Gabriel Alloway married Elizabeth Hinds by 1695; had children: John, born 1695/6; Judith, born 1703; Alexander, born 1706; Gabriel, born 1713).
1758 Oct 18 - Richmond Co, Va - Will Bk 6:140 - Probated 6 Nov 1758
Will of Job Hammond written: To sons, Samuel, [Jarvis], Job, Thomas
To daughters: Susannah, Elizabeth, Mary, Amadine
Executor: son Thomas Hammond
Wit: John Hammond, Anthony Tune, Dorcas Tune.
[Note; Job Hammond married 1 Sep 1703 to Amadine Baylis, daughter of Thomas & Catherine Baylis]
1771 Feb 12 - Richmond Co, Va - Will Bk 7:78 - Probated 4 Mar 1771
Will of John Hammond written:
To son Thomas, my glebe land and adjoining land; To son Absalom, To dau, Susannah Connell, to Grandsons, Charles and John Hammond; To William Dudley; To John Dudley; To dau Jean Lee; to Judith, Elizabeth & Caty, daughters of son William; to Anne Lee, dau of Jean Lee; daus: Anne, Maryanne, Betty & Caty. Exec; son Thomas; Wit: Charles Hammond, Wm. English, Daniel Brown