Search for content in message boards

Cromwell lost generations

Replies: 20

Oliver Cromwell's descendants

Michele (Slatton) Abrams (View posts)
Posted: 5 Nov 2000 12:43PM GMT
Regarding to the question of descending directly from "The" Oliver Cromwell. I was always told that I did descend directly from him, but never knew for sure. My grandmother's maiden name was Cromwell. I just recently found a book.."The Cromwellian Gazetteer" by Peter Gaunt....which I found in Salt Lake City, Family History Library. I now know I Am NOT directly descended from him. The reason I am writing this is, I have been searching for years to confirm or not. In this book...I quote..."Oliver Cromwell, great-great- grandson of Lord Protector Oliver through his fourth son, Lord Deputy Henry, inherited Chestnut Park and other parts of the formal royal estate of Theobalds. Oliver, a London based solicitor and and author of a rather muddled biography of his illustrious forefather and namesake, used Chestnut as his country retreat. He died here in 1821 and lies buried beneath an inscribed slab in the north west corner of St. Mary's churchyard. He left only daughters- a son had died in infancy forty years before- and at Oliver's death the Protector's direct male line became extinct. The Lord Protector has many descendants through the female line, but his namesake lying in St. Mary's churchyard was his last male descendant though the male line." I hope this helps anyone wondering. Sincerely, Michele (Slatton) Abrams
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
VickiBraeker 29 Aug 2000 4:57AM GMT 
Wayland1957 3 Oct 2000 11:55PM GMT 
VickiBraeker 4 Oct 2000 8:06PM GMT 
Evelyn_Cromwe... 15 Oct 2000 11:12AM GMT 
VickiBraeker 15 Oct 2000 11:44AM GMT 
Evelyn_Cromwe... 15 Oct 2000 12:11PM GMT 
VickiBraeker 16 Oct 2000 4:57AM GMT 
Michele (Slatton) Abrams 5 Nov 2000 7:43PM GMT 
James A Derichsweiler 9 Nov 2000 1:42AM GMT 
charles cromwell 15 Jan 2001 4:53PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions