Search for content in message boards

Re: [CROW] James CROW Jr. & Levi CROW BIBLE & James Crow (1740-1833), of GA

Replies: 1

Re: [CROW] James CROW Jr. & Levi CROW BIBLE & James Crow (1740-1833), of GA

Posted: 6 Oct 2007 5:07PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Crow, Crowe
Starting a new thread by bringing Mr. Ward's old posts of Feb 2001 over since I could not find a way to respond to his archived messages, so I have pasted them below.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Mr. Ward wrote:
CROW-L Archives

Subject: [CROW] James CROW Jr. & Levi CROW BIBLE
Date: Wed, 7 Feb 2001 21:56:57 EST
Archiver > CROW > 2001-02 > 0981661536

"Subscribers are surely aware of the recent posting of a transcript taken of the LEVI CROW family record. Thanks to a very kind subscriber to this list, I should have actual photocopies of this family record any day. The information taken from the entries in the family record will hopefully allow us to gain a better picture of the Crow family.

Let us review the facts, as we know them.

Levi Crow was born 25 Mar 1782 according to his family record.

The will of James Crow (d.1795), of Chatham Co., NC mentions a bequest to his
grandson, Levy (sic) Crow.

The family record of Levi Crow mentions the death of his father as occurring on 19 Dec 1833 at the age of 93.

So, we appear to have a three generation outline of this family -

Levi Crow, b. 25 Mar 1782 who was the son of James Crow (d. 19 Dec 1833, at the age of 93) and the grandson of James Crow (d.1795), of Chatham Co., NC.

This would place James Crow, the father of Levi Crow, as being born about 1740.

According to information I have been supplied by a fellow Crow researcher, a James Crow was born 14 Apr 1740 in Baltimore Co., MD.

However, there is a complication. This James Crow is attributed as a son of
John Crow and his wife, Judith Magee.

Based on the Levi Crow family record and the will of James Crow, of Chatham Co., NC, it would appear that James Crow, father of Levi Crow, would be the son of James Crow, not of John Crow.

I realize there may be some difficulty in following this line of reasoning due to the use and reuse of the same given names.

However, to sum up, the James Crow who was born 14 Apr 1740, in Baltimore Co., MD and who died 19 Dec 1833, would appear to be the son of James Crow, Sr. and not John Crow.

Does anyone have a copy of the parish record which records the birth entry for James Crow Baltimore CO., MD in 1740???

Also, if James Crow, Jr. was born 14 Apr 1740, it would appear he would have had to be the son of James Crow, Sr. and his first wife, Hannah Simpson, rather than by his second wife, Grace Denson.

I would welcome a discussion of these issues. Thank you.

Charles Ward
CMW12635@aol.com "

and

Archiver > CROW > 2001-02 > 0981661536

Subject: [CROW] James Crow (1740-1833), of GA
Date: Thu, 8 Feb 2001 14:45:36 EST

"My apologies for the number of my postings. This one of the few avenues I have where I can bounce around ideas, my thoughts, and findings regarding Crow genealogy.

I am increasingly coming to the conclusion that James Crow (1740-1833), of GA and the James Crow, son of John Crow, of St. George's Parish, Baltimore Co., MD were one and the same. The fact that James Crow (1740-1833) had a son,
Levi, still seems to be an inconsistency, as James Crow, of Chatham Co., NC (1713-1795) named a grandson, Levi Crow, in his will.

So, if we assume that James Crow (1740-1833) was a different man than James Crow, Jr. son of James Crow of Chatham, then does anyone have any clear indication where he was located prior to the 1790s??? I have found James
Crow (1740-1833) in Elbert and Franklin Counties, in Georgia (deed records) along with his wife. I have been unable to find James Crow (1740-1833) in GA Census records.

Again, if we assume James Crow (1740-1833), father of Levi, was NOT James Crow, Jr. (son of James Crow, of Chatham); did the elder of the two James Crows ever reside in Chatham Co., NC???

Thank you for your indulgence.

Charles Ward"
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

A lot has transpired in our Crow family research since the Crow(e) DNA Study was introduced in Jan of 2003 and since Mr. Ward’s postings. I hope Mr. Ward is still monitoring these boards and will read this post.

With all the talk about the James & John Crows above, and the new Crow trees popping up on the Internet with a lot of misinformation, let me try and clear up some old mistakes about these James & John Crows.

1. First, Levi Crow, born 25 Mar 1782, probably in South Carolina, to James Crow, born somewhere in 1740, died on 19 Dec 1833, was not related to the James Crow, that may have been born on 14 Apr 1740, in Baltimore Co., MD, if this James Crow existed, and if he was the son of a John Crow that reportedly married 3 times (Judith Magee, Margaret Compton & Mary), or a James Crow that reportedly married twice (Grace Denson & Hannah Simpson).

2. Second, James Crow, that may have been born on 14 Apr 1740, in Baltimore Co., MD, if this James Crow existed, and if he was the son of a John Crow, that reportedly married 3 times (Judith Magee, Margaret Compton & Mary), or a James Crow that reportedly married twice (Grace Denson & Hannah Simpson), the living Crow descendents/testers that claim these Crows, matched one another and were represented by Silver DNA Kits 20230, 27591, 39792 & 55668. If the James Crow that married twice, Grace Denson & Hannah Simpson, is the son of the John Crow that married 3 times, he too is a Silver DNA Crow, represented by Silver DNA Crow kits, 7973, 20557, 23514, 25031 & 26994.

3. Third, Mr. Ward stated; "I have found James
Crow (1740-1833) in Elbert and Franklin Counties, in Georgia (deed records) along with his wife. I have been unable to find James Crow (1740-1833) in GA Census records."
This James Crow was not related to any of the above James or John Crows, if he was the James Crow that married Hannah, nor was he the Gold DNA Crow, James Crow (1740-1833). The James Crow in the Deeds of Elbert & Franklin Counties Georgia that mentions a wife Hannah, was born between 1755 & 1759, I do not know where. He married Hannah Black and moved from Georgia to Gibson County, Indiana, where he became the Sheriff, and died there in 1815. Some of their children were born in Georgia. His wife, Hannah Black Crow, died in Pike County, Indiana, in 1843. This James Crow was represented by Blue DNA Kit 22112, and is not DNA related to the Silver or Gold DNA Crows.

I hope that this information will help those who read this post, and I also hope it will serve to stem the misinformation being still being put into family trees on the Internet today.

Sincerely,
Phillip Crow, Crow(e) DNA Group Study Administrator & Gold Crow 6946

SubjectAuthorDate Posted
Phillip Crow 6 Oct 2007 11:07PM GMT 
Phillip Crow 6 Oct 2007 11:56PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions