Search for content in message boards

luis & santa cruz cuellar new mexico

Replies: 14

luis & santa cruz cuellar new mexico

Posted: 11 Mar 2008 9:01PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: cuellar
Hi, the NM family history for Luis Cuellar: (my pat.grandfather), his second marriage to Theodora, Dora, Chavez, their only child was Evangelina Anita Cuellar, Helen, (b. 1928, NM.) Helen was my mother. Before Helen was born, there was a divorce. I met Luis when, he visited my mom for the first time, in the early 1960's, when I was in high school. After the divorce from my grandmother Dora, Luis moved to California and died there, sometime during the 70's???. We suspect there is more Cuellar family there. His first marriage produced his son, Joe and sister Mela--I think there is another sibling. Joe lives in Albuquerque (Corrales.) When I was a preschool child, Santa Cruz, Luis' brother, visited my mom, Helen, weekly. He carried a black Bible and was always talking about the end-times. I remember standing by his side at the kitchen table, the Bible open, as they drank coffee and sometimes had cake. He wore a black, wide brim hat, a black suit, and carried a black Bible with him. At that time, he drove a black, Ford Model T?? truck, that sometimes had a canopy over baskets and boxes of apples, vegetables or green chili. When I would see him drive up to Virginia St. NW(now Los Tomases NW), I would run in the house to tell my mom that Tio Santo Cruz was here. On his death bed at the hospital, late 1980's??, Santa Cruz revealed in Spanish, that the Cuellars were Jewish, and that he wanted a Star of David on his headstone. There was absolute shock and verbal denial by a family member, which can be understandable. The tongue-in-cheek Cuellar's family history/story was always that there were 3 Cuellar fugitive brothers running from the "law." They landed in Mexico, one came to New Mexico and the other to Mexico or Central or South America and the other???? Now with the crypto-Jewish connection revealed, by Santa Cruz Cuellar, it was probably during a Spanish pogram, that drove the brothers to the "New World," running from Spain, "the law." It would be interesting to know if there are other Cuellars with a similar 3 brothers history of running from the Old World. bettyanne otero, albuquerque
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
baotero47 12 Mar 2008 3:01AM GMT 
tessie127 23 Jun 2008 12:46AM GMT 
baotero47 24 Jun 2008 2:36PM GMT 
baotero47 24 Jun 2008 2:43PM GMT 
tessie127 6 Jul 2008 12:08AM GMT 
baotero47 8 Jul 2008 12:15AM GMT 
ponce_urquide... 24 Oct 2011 3:49AM GMT 
ponce_urquide... 24 Oct 2011 3:51AM GMT 
rrichardautry 20 Mar 2013 2:03AM GMT 
rrichardautry 20 Mar 2013 2:00AM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions