Search for content in message boards

Dennehy (Jersey City or Rathmore, Ireland)

Replies: 5

Re: Dennehy (Jersey City or Rathmore, Ireland)

Posted: 26 May 2012 9:49AM GMT
Classification: Query
Dan, Thanks for the info. It is not really possible to say with certainty if that is my John. It somewhat fits but is not conclusive. My John did not name any of his kids 'Jeremiah' so that is one big strike against the possibility. John's first son was 'Denis' who died very early. They later named another son 'Denis' and so, it seems likely that his father was named 'Denis' but that is just a guess. The only other Dennehy that emigrated for sure and we know for certain is in my clan was a Mary Dennehy, born in the 1870s, who is a confirmed niece of John. Her death certificate lists her father as 'Denis' who I think was John's brother. So my best guess is that I'm looking for a Denis (b. early 1800s) who had a son John (b. 1840s) and a son Denis (b. 1830s or 1840s likely) and the son Denis had a daughter Mary (b. 1870s) all in County Kerry somewhere. I originally thought I found this relationship with a Dennehy family in Gortnahaneboy but a local there convinced me I confused two separate Dennehy families who both had a Denis Dennehy born about the same time. So, my Dennehy family can come from anywhere in County Kerry and does not have to be in the area of Rathmore. In fact, there are some cities (like Millstreet) that are physically in Cork but are in the County Kerry parish. I have to consider these as an option as well since there were many Dennehys in that area. I'm not sure I'm going to figure this out thru written documentation because I don't have enough info about my Dennehy family to be conclusive. My only hope is genealogical DNA testing and that I will match up to someone...
So in regard to the O'Briens: my John Dennehy married Ellen Cuff. Her sister, Mary Cuff, married a Martin O'Brien, all from the Jersey City area. I thought maybe there was a connection on the O'Brien side but does not look like it...Bill
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
Bill Dennehy 10 Nov 2005 7:04PM GMT 
danobrien73 26 Sep 2011 1:24AM GMT 
billandrae 25 May 2012 9:10PM GMT 
danobrien73 26 May 2012 2:53PM GMT 
danobrien73 26 May 2012 3:10PM GMT 
billandraesho... 26 May 2012 3:49PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions