Search for content in message boards

CULBERSON AREA OF COLUMBUS, GA- descendants to FL

Replies: 3

Re: CULBERSON AREA OF COLUMBUS, GA- descendants to FL

Posted: 13 Jun 2012 9:51AM GMT
Classification: Query
Nancy Martin Wadkins/Watkins was my 3rd Gr Gran. She was born in GA 1834. Her first husband was Lewis Wadkins/Watkins. Lewis Wadkins,is found with confederate military record. He died 4/24/1862 in Cumberland Gap, KY. He was in Company F 3rd Regiment Georgia Infantry. He died of disease after serving only 2 months and 4 days. There is paper work that Nancy applied for and received widow's benefits. The witness was James Martin who would have been Nancy's brother. Lewis is listed as white but with DARK skin, gray eyes and his father was born in NC.

Nancy had 4 children by Lewis: Martha Ann aka Mattie b 12/2/1853, George born 1857 in Harris Co. GA, Molly Susan b 1859 and Malissa b 1861.

Nancy also had 3 more children with Wilson Culberson/Culverson; William W. b 1867, Thomas Edward b 3/10/1869 Harris Co. GA, Andrew Jefferson b 7/1/1871 Harris Co. GA. Thomas and Andrew both moved to FL where they resided until they died.

Wilson was always listed as a "mulatto" on the census records and it is my belief he was indian and that Nancy was of a mixed blood indian as no white woman would enter into a long relationship with a "person of color" in the south at that time.

Nancy's mother a Mary "Polly" was listed on the census as being born in GA and NC and her parents were listed as being born in NC. Nancy's known siblings were: James H. b 1836, Thomas J. b 1848 and Emma b 1855.

I am a direct decendent of Martha Ann "Mattie" Watkins/Wadkins through her first child who was Illegitimate known as Charles Howard Rowell born 12/5/1871 some documents say GA some say AL. His surname is supposidly a "gift" from a family friend. His mother was asked on her deathbead who his real father was and she refused to name him.

Based on my DNA, I have a significant amount of American Indian blood and my goal is to identify my tribal heritage.

If anyone can help with this I can be reached at
mreed05@windstream.net
Thank you
Mindy Reed
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
NancyElliott1... 8 Mar 2005 4:02PM GMT 
GJuneH 30 Apr 2005 11:21PM GMT 
NancyElliott1... 7 Feb 2006 7:12PM GMT 
mreed05 13 Jun 2012 3:51PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions