Cullen family from Inch (near Blackwater), County Wexford, Eire

Replies: 33

Re: Cullen family from Inch (near Blackwater), County Wexford, Eire

Posted: 23 Mar 2010 7:44AM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 27 Mar 2011 9:18AM GMT
Surnames: Cullen
Hi Paul,

Happy to provide some additional details. Glad to know that you think it might be of assistance.

First of all, a thanks for pointing me in the direction of Jim Cullen's site. Jim has been kind enough to host a descendancy chart for my branch of the Cullens (a County Wexford to Quebec group, headed by Laurence), the product of 30+ years of work by a distant cousin. You can find our tree at http://members.bex.net/jtcullen515/Laurence.htm

Now for some details from Blackwater in Co. Wexford. First, the Ballyvaldon cemetery and church ruins: It is located about 2 or 3 km north of Blackwater village . . . look for the sign for the golf course pointing left--you'll turn RIGHT there (toward the sea). From there it's a short drive to the church and cemetery, which will be on your left when you reach the "T" intersection. After your visit there, you can continue on down the road leading from the back of the church toward a beautiful stretch of beach and ocean views. I had to wonder whether the old residents of the place had time to appreciate what a beautiful view they had.

Probably the easiest way to do all this is to contact Declan Flanagan himself ahead of time. I had some trouble reaching him once I arrived in Ireland because of an old number--but it wasn't a problem. I simply showed up in Blackwater and asked for him . . . everyone knew him, and five minutes after someone called him, he appeared. He hopped into my car and off we went.

My visit to the cemetery also included a stop by the home of Sylvester Cullen ("Syl"), which is located just south of the church and cemetery. Just hearing the two of them talk about things made for a lovely afternoon.

Declan can be reached via mail: Declan Flanagan, Main Street, Blackwater, Co. Wexford

I have the telephone number that I used last summer as well. Within Ireland the number is 085 708 9128 . . . can't recall the international code, but I suppose I'll leave that to you (always good to have a little mystery!). If you need, I'll track that information down as well.

A couple of final points: if you do end up staying for some time in the area, I'd strongly recommend staying at a lovely B&B just south of Blackwater. It's run by a lovely couple, and the other guests staying there tend to have interesting stories to share as well. Ask Declan to point you in the right direction.

Also, at the south end of Blackwater village, on your left as you are leaving town, there is an ancient mound/hill of some sort that Declan seems quite interested in. Certainly the thing is hundreds of years old, and nobody seems to know much more than that. Always interesting . . .

Here's hoping this is helpful. I had a wonderful time in Ireland (spent a number of days at the National Archives and the National Library in Dublin as well), but most enjoyed the time in the "Sunny Southeast" and meeting the good people of County Wexford. Would strongly recommend a trip to New Ross as well (at the western edge of Co. Wexford), as they have some interesting ship information and a rebuilt ship to give an idea of the famine ship conditions.

Do let me know if you would like more information.

All my best,
Craig T.
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
michaeloconno... 16 Mar 2010 5:45PM GMT 
search1ng4u 18 Mar 2010 5:03PM GMT 
michaeloconno... 23 Mar 2010 7:51PM GMT 
search1ng4u 25 Mar 2010 1:39PM GMT 
CraigTafel 22 Mar 2010 8:19PM GMT 
search1ng4u 23 Mar 2010 12:07PM GMT 
CraigTafel 23 Mar 2010 1:44PM GMT 
kcullen151 28 May 2010 6:19PM GMT 
search1ng4u 28 May 2010 6:36PM GMT 
CraigTafel 29 May 2010 12:45AM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions