Search for content in message boards

Dabbs in Early Pioneer Texas

Replies: 3

Dabbs in Early Pioneer Texas

Posted: 11 Apr 2012 9:53PM GMT
Classification: Query
Hello everyone,

Here I go with some tidbits that might get our genealogy research minds agoing!!!! I have been working dilgently with all my paper info and putting them as best as I can (or can guess) into the right notebooks I have on all my Dabbs. It is getting easier and easier to recall so much of my data that I am able to put my fingers on it fairly quick.

I have made a loosleaf notebook on the Dabbs of Titus, Hopkins County, Texas (Sulphur Springs, Joseph W Dabbs, Dr. Ellen Lawson Dabbs group) Texas. Jonathan W Dabbs received land grants.

I have a page from a book about Land Grants that show 3 Dabbs acquiring land grants in 1838,1839:

Jonathan W Dabbs Aug 3, 1838 May 3 1841
Silas Dabbs over 17 years then says Feb 1842
Cyrus Dabbs Dec 2, 1839 Nov 21 1853

I did not write down what label the dates were, but if I was guessing I would say when they got the grant and then the other column the date it is totally their land. Just guessing though. Need to revisit the page to see what the date columns mean.

Are these men 3 brothers? 3 cousins

Are they children of George Dabbs and Sarah?

Is this the Silas who was in Limestone Co, Ala?

Isn't this Jonathan W Dabbs/wife Sarah, the father-n-law to Joseph W Dabbs of Sulphur Springs whose wife was Sara E. and then Sarah died and he married a second wife Dr. Ellen Lawson? Or was it his father and not father-n-law!

Isn't this Joseph W Dabbs the grandchild of Joseph and Judith Tankersley Dabbs and his father was John (or Joseph Wilkes ??:) Wilkes Dabbs who died in 1859?

It seems that this Joseph was a Dabbs and he married a Dabbs girl. I really have not got all my notebooks and flipped back and forth to see how it goes. I think I may be at a place where some of all the confusion on this family in Titus/Hopkins County Texas is cleared up in my mind???

Somebody help, give me some more input on these Dabbs men in early Texas. lol

How many Silas Dabbs are there, by the way. And who are the Cyrus Dabbs???

On another census in Texas the enumerator spells Cyrus' name as DOBBS! But the land grants is transcribed as Dabbs.

Johathan Dabbs age on the 1860 TX Census is 60!! Born in 1800 then, maybe. Joseph W Dabbs age on census is 28, 1832 birth then.

Help!
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
modsquad3 12 Apr 2012 3:53AM GMT 
modsquad3 12 Apr 2012 5:28AM GMT 
jtown1 30 Apr 2012 5:42PM GMT 
jtown1 30 Apr 2012 5:26PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions