Search for content in message boards

Hannah PETTIT DALLY, Phila / NYC 1801 m. Thomas Fenton

Replies: 1

Hannah PETTIT DALLY, Phila / NYC 1801 m. Thomas Fenton

Posted: 14 Mar 2009 7:01PM GMT
Classification: Marriage
Surnames: DALLY, PETTIT, FENTON, ANNELY
Several years ago someone posted a message about a marriage between Hannah DALLY, daughter of Gifford DALLY and Thomas Fenton of Philadelphia in 1811. My research shows something different.

Gifford DALLY and Hannah PETTIT married in 1767 NYC. They lived in both NYC and Philadelphia. They did have a daughter Hannah who was born in NYC in 1788 and baptized at Trinity Church, NYC. The marriage of Hannah DALLY and Thomas Fenton, cordwainer, of Philadelphia, however, was actually in January 1801, not 1811. It occurred in NYC. One newspaper notice refers to her as Miss Hannah Dally, another as Mrs. Hannah Dally. I believe it is actually Gifford Dally's widow, Mrs. Hannah Dally, who married Thomas Fenton. They would have been about the same age, both widowed. The daughter, Hannah Dally, would have only been 13 years old when Thomas Fenton remarried, so it must have been her mother who married him.

Gifford and Hannah DALLY had a daughter Sarah, who married Thomas Annely, gunsmith, in 1791 in Philadelphia. Thomas and Sarah lived on Sassafras St. (now called Race St.) in Philadelphia, just two doors away from Thomas Fenton and his family. It is easy to imagine that both families would know each other well. I believe that after Gifford Dally and his daughter Sarah Dally Annely both died in the 1798 yellow fever epidemic in Philadelphia, Thomas Annely took his mother-in-law in. She would then be living on the same street as Thomas Fenton.

The reason they married in NYC instead of Philadelphia is because Hannah Dally relocated to NYC around 1799. There is a letter in the National Archives from Thomas Annely to his supervisor at the War Department. Thomas had been hired as a weapons inspector at the new armory at Harpers Ferry. When he visited it for the first time, he realized that there were no proper accommodations for his family, including his mother-in-law. He requested more time to take them back up to NYC. Another letter mentions that he was successful in placing his mother-in-law comfortably in NYC and had put his children "out to board." This is probably why Hannah and Thomas Fenton married in NYC. Also, the Dally, Pettit, and Annely families are all from the lower Manhattan area originally.

I am still searching for Hannah Pettit Dally Fenton's death record. Most likely her death occurred in Philadelphia.

If anyone is researching any of these families, I would be interested in exchanging information.

SubjectAuthorDate Posted
SJERSEY8 15 Mar 2009 1:01AM GMT 
DELISAJ 7 Jan 2013 5:41PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic