Search for content in message boards

Dameron, Moses, Mary

Replies: 2

Re: Dameron, Moses, Mary

Linda (View posts)
Posted: 31 Jan 2003 10:26PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Dameron/Damron
I don't know how accurate this is but I have the following children for Moses and Aggie (2 generations):
Generation No. 1
1. MOSES D.5 DAMERON (LAZARUS4, GEORGE3, LAWRENCE2, GEORGE1) was born 1730 in Albemarle Co. VA, and died Abt. 1812 in VA. He married AGGY OWL Abt. 1755 in VA.
Notes for MOSES D. DAMERON:
Sources:
Abbrev: A Working Genealogy ... through the line of "Capt. John DAMRON, Sr
Note: A Working Genealogy ... through the line of "Capt. John DAMRON, Sr by Charles B. CHANEY. 3542 West 128th Street, Cleveland, OH 44111
Page: 9

Notes for AGGY OWL:
Notes for Aggy OWL:
Per Romona P. Williams: Last name may be: "Ogle"
"The buffalo Ridge Cherokee" by: Horace R. Rive
Both similar sounding names of "Owl" (American Indian) and "Howell" (English) are found among the Indians of Amherst Co., VA. Both Cherokee and Monacan Indian descendants still live in Amherst Co.
drofford@home.com
There ia a James Owl mentioned in a transcript of early Albemarle Co., Va road records. Lazarus Dameron and sons are mentioned as well. I've not been able to find anymore information on James Owl.
kldyer@prodigy.net
"The names Owl and Howell are similar in pronounciation and sometimes interchanged; yet their origins are different. Howell is probably English whereas Owl would be considered an American Indian surname. Both spellings are found among the Indians of Amherst County, VA according to the book "The Buffalo Ridge Cherokee" by Horace R. Rice". It seems both Cherokee and Monacan Indian descendants still live in Amherst County.
Moses Damron was from Albemarle County, VA, a county not far from Amherst. I wonder if prehaps Aggie Owl wasn't associated with one of these two tribes. Both tribes became mixed with other races very early. Descendants of the Monacan are now becoming organized as a tribe - about 900 I believe."

Children of MOSES DAMERON and AGGY OWL are:
i. NANCY ANNE6 DAMRON, b. 1774, Grayson Co. VA; d. Abt. 1855, Pike Co. KY; m. JAMES ROBERTS, SR., 1794, Russell Co. VA; b. 1772; d. 1858, Pike Co. KY.
2. ii. MOSES D. DAMRON II, b. 1768, Stokes Co. NC; d. 1828, Pike Co. KY.
3. iii. JOHN DAMERON, CAPTAIN, b. 12 January 1757, Albemarle Co. VA; d. Johnson Co. IL.
iv. AGGIE DAMERON, b. Abt. 1761; d. Abt. 1820; m. WILLIAM MAYNARD, SR., 1775.
4. v. LAZARUS DAMERON, b. 1766, Stokes Co. NC; d. 1829, Cabell Co. VA.
vi. GEORGE DAMERON, b. Bet. 1769 - 1770; d. January 1816, New Madrid Co. MO.
vii. RICHARD DAMERON, b. Bet. 1771 - 1772; d. 1828, Pike Co. KY; m. ELIZABETH BEAVERS OR SPURLOCK, 1800.
Notes for RICHARD DAMERON:
Richard, son of Moses, lived in Albermarle Co., VA, N. Carolina in what is now Stokes Co. and in Russell Co., VA Richard arrived in Floyd Co., KY at least as early as 1808.

Generation No. 2
2. MOSES D.6 DAMRON II (MOSES D.5 DAMERON, LAZARUS4, GEORGE3, LAWRENCE2, GEORGE1) was born 1768 in Stokes Co. NC, and died 1828 in Pike Co. KY. He married (1) JENNIE MULLINS. He married (2) SARAH ADKINS 1793.
Notes for MOSES D. DAMRON II:
Info. from GenForum (Sterling Barrett)
Children: Moses Damron, III b. 1794; James b. 1796; Elizabeth b. 1799; Lazarus . 1799-1805; Richard b. 1801; John b. 1802; Nancy b. 1800-1807; Daughter ; Daughter; Spurlock b. 1813;
Daughter ; Samuel ; Moses III; Elisha; Daughter; William Moses
kldyer@prodigy.net = "Jennie Mullins was the second wife of Moses Damron II. We know this because of an account by a granddaughter (born 1840) who went to Oregon in 1843. Bethenia Owens-Adair's book, "Dr. Owens Adair, Some of Her Life Experiences" was published in 1906 or 1908. On page 6 she states: "My grandmother Damron was my grandfather's second wife."
Sarah Adkins would have been his first wife. The 1850 census shows her in the same household as her son James Damron. They appear to have separated, but not necessarily divorced. That may be why we can't find a marriage record for Moses Damron II and Jennie Mullins. Moses' brother, Lazarus, raised a second family by Jane Jarrell who may have been a house servant. Lazarus' son, Samuel, raised two large overlapping families. Many others did similar things during the early settlement of the frontier. An account of Samuel's two families and their birthdates was published in 1884 in Hardsty's History of Wayne County, WV - over a hundred years ago - while he was still alive. Arrangements like this seem to have been common in the days when Joseph Smith was recruiting converts to go west."

More About Moses D. Damron, Jr.:
Residence: Russell Co., VA/ Fleming Co..

Children of MOSES DAMRON and SARAH ADKINS are:
i. RICHARD7 DAMRON, m. ELIZABTH DRAWDY.
ii. JAMES DAMRON.

3. JOHN6 DAMERON, CAPTAIN (MOSES D.5, LAZARUS4, GEORGE3, LAWRENCE2, GEORGE1) was born 12 January 1757 in Albemarle Co. VA, and died in Johnson Co. IL. He married (1) ANNA LADD 1780, daughter of NOBLE LADD and JUDITH DAMERON. She was born 4 March 1765 in NC, and died 8 February 1804 in Russell Co. VA. He married (2) CYNTHIA THOMPSON 1805.
Notes for JOHN DAMERON, CAPTAIN:
Married: Anne Ladd (d. of Noble) c. 1780 in VA
Cynthia Thompson c.1805
John and his brothers apparently were among the first generation to eliminate the "e" from the family name.
John joined the 9th VA Regiment of the Continental Line during Revolutionary War; a unit made up of expert VA marksmen, was the famous Morgan's Riflemen. His service record shows that he was at the battle of Gooch's Bridge, Delaware, in Aug. 1777. This was reportedly the first battle actually fought under the "Stars and Stripes". This engagement was followed by the Battle of Brandywine in September. In the Battle of Germantown in October, John was take prisoner by the British. However, he was free and back on the payroll of the 2nd VA Regiment in March 1778. This regiment was with Washington at Valley Forge, PA. Later, John joined the VA State Militia where he attained the rank of Captain. Also at King's Mountain.
More About John Damron, Sr.:
Burial: Unknown, Drake Cemetery, Williamson Co., IL.
Marriage: 1: 1780, Anne Ladd (d.1804) - Russell Co., VA.
Marriage: 2: 1805, Cynthia Thompson.
Military service: Rev.War - Captain - 9th VA Regiment - Morgan's Riflemen (Continental Line).
-----------
John Damron, Sr.
of Virginia, Tennessee & Illinois
1757-c1840
Captain John DAMRON Sr. and his brothers apparently were among one of the first generations to eliminate the "e" from the family name. Some theorize that this was a device to differentiate the family that supported the colonies from those backing England during the Revolutionary War. Some lines later returned the "e" to the name but many retained the shorter form.
During the Revolutionary War, he joined the 9th Virginia Regiment of the Continental Line. This unit, made up of expert Virginian marksmen, was the famous Morgan's Riflemen. John's service record shows that he was at the battle of Gooch's Bridge, Delaware, in August 1777. This was reportedly the first battle actually fought under the Stars and Stripes although this claim has never been authenticated. The flag had been adopted on 14 July 1777. That engagement was followed by the Battle of Brandywine on 11 September. In the Battle of Germantown in October, John was taken prisoner by the British.
However, he was free and back on the roll of the 2nd Virginia Regiment in March 1778. This regiment was with Washington at Valley Forge, Pennsylvania, although it is not known if John had been there for that infamous winter. On 18 June 1778, Washington took his army across the Delaware River at Coryell's Ferry and, on 28 June, into the Battle of Monmouth Court House, New Jersey. (If John was still with Morgan's Riflemen, he would not have actually participated in the battle. That group, although nearby, since Morgan had not been directly ordered to enter the fray and by the time he arrived with his troops the battle was over.) The forces later accompanied Washington when he moved his headquarters to White Plains, New York. Later, John joined the Virginia State Militia where he attained the rank of Captain that resulted in his being called "Captain John" for the remainder of his life.
He married Anna Ladd, a first cousin, and lived in Russell County, Virginia, for many years. He was an active Methodist preacher. They had several children before Anna died in 1804. John married again. His second wife's name is uncertain. A Cynthia Damron appears on a church membership roll along with some of John's children. It is thought that this is most likely his second wife. Her maiden name is also only a guess. Census records indicate that their third child, Agnes, had been born in Tennessee in 1811 and that Elvira, the next child, was born in Illinois in 1815.
In 1818, John and Cynthia appear in New Burnside, Johnson County (then, part of Franklin County), Illinois, where they had a farm. John was a farmer and a Methodist minister who, as a circuit rider, served missions in southern Illinois. His will, dated 5 September 1835, was made out in Franklin County, Illinois, and was filed in Johnson County, Illinois. He was buried in Drake Cemetery just across the border in Williamson County. A stone identifying him as a Revolutionary War veteran still marked the grave in 2001. The Will of John Damron, 1835 The family Bible of John Damron.
--------------------------
The Will of John Damron, 1835
"IN THE NAME OF GOD AMEN. I JOHN DAMRON of Franklin County and the State of Illinois being through the abundant mercy of God, Tho" weak in body yet of a sound and perfect understanding and memory do constitute this my last will and testament and desire it may be received by all as such: FIRST . . . I most humbly bequeath my soul to God my maker, beseeching His most gracious acceptance of it through the all sufficient merits and mediation of the adorable Redeemer Jesus Christ who gave Himself to be an atonement for my sins and in able to save to the uttermost all that come unto God by Him, and Who I trust will not reject me, when I come to him for mercy; in that hope and confidence I render up my soul with comfort, humbly beseeching the most gracious merciful and holy Lord God to prepare me for the time of my Dissoulution and then to take me to Himself into that abode of peace and life which he hath prepared for all that love and fear His holy name, Amen.
"I give my body to the earth from whence it was taken in full assurance of its resurrection from thence at the last day; as to my Burial, I desire it may be decent and at the discretion of my dear wife and my executors here after named who I doubt not will manage it with all requisite prudence . . . As to my worldly Estate I will and positively order that all my debts be paid, and first I give to my son JOSEPH DAMRON, the sum of One Dollar, and to each of my children, BETSEY, JUDITH, WILLIAM, GEORGE, POLLY, NOBLE LADD, ANNE, MOSES, CONSTANTINE LADD, AND HULDAH, the like sum of One Dollar. To my son JOHN I give my large Family Bible--
"And I also give to the Heirs of my son DAVID DAMRON, One Dollar--to each of my daughters, AGNES and ELVIRA, the like sum of One Dollar--
"SECONDLY, I give to MALISSA, one Feather bed with its necessary furniture and a cow and calf.
"THIRDLY, I give to my dear wife all the residue of my property my improvements Household furniture, farming utensils and stock of every description with the intent and expectation that she will raise my youngest son, NOAH THOMPSON, and my will further says, that during her life or the continuance of her widowhood she enjoy and use all of the remainder of my property, but at her death or marriage my will is that my son NOAH THOMPSON shall have all that there may remain.
"I do here by appoint my wife as Executrix and my son John Damron, and my worthy friend Joseph Kuykendal1 Executors of this my last will and testament firmly believing that they will faithfully see that my wishes as herein expressed will be fully executed after I am gone. In witness whereof I have hereunto set my hand and seal this 5th day of September, 1835.
(SEAL) JOHN DAMRON (SEAL)
"Witnesses:
JAMES GILL
JESSE (X) APLING;"
(The will was found in Estate Box 56 at the Johnson County Courthhouse, Vienna, Johnson Co., Illinois.)
-------------------------
The Family Bible of Captain John Damron
Helen Foster Snow wrote in THE DAMERON-DAMRON GENEALOGY that Nell Elkins Pearce Pearce "has seen the old Bible Mentioned in the will of John Damron, and said it was a beautiful book bound in leather. She sent me the following with the note: 'This record of births and deaths of the family of John and Anna (Ladd) Damron was found in a very old book in possession of one of John and Cynthia Damron's great-grandchildren. (Cynthia was his second wife.)'"
"REGISTER
Sons and Daughter
"JOSEPH DAMRON, the first son, b. 22 Dec. 1781
SOLOMON " 2nd " b. 2 Oct. 1783
BETSEY " 1st daut. b. 3 Mch. 1785
SMITH " 2nd daut. b. 4 Mch. 1787
WILLIAM " 3rd son b. 10 Feb. 1789
JOHN (JR.) " 4th son b. 19 May 1791
GEO. & POLLY DAMRON 5th son
and 3rd daut. b. 12 Mch. 1793
NOBLE LADD DAMRON 6th son b. 16 Mch. 1795
ANNA " 4th daut. b. 23 Dec. 1797
MOSES " 7th son b. 6 June, 1799
CONSTANTINE LADD " 8th son b. 5 May 1801
HULDIA MAJORS " 5th daut. b. 8 Nov. 1803
"JOHN DAMRON, senior, was born Jan. 12, 1757.
ANNA DAMRON, his wife, was born Mch. 4, 1765, and died Feb. 8 1804.
"Children of John Damron and 2nd Wife Cynthia
DAVID DAMRON, the 9th son b. 5 Oct. 1807
SUCKEY " 6th daut. b. 24 April 1809
AGNES " 7th daut. b. 31 July 1811
ELVIRA " 8th daut. b. 27 Oct. 1815
MALISSA " 9th daut. b. 10 April, 1818
NOAH THOMPSON " 10th son b. 12 Dec. 1823"
Mrs. Pearce added the following notes: John Damron, Jr. b. in Va. (Census). Agnes Damron b. in Tenn. (Census). Elvira Damron b. in Illinois, Franklin Co.; Malissa b. Illinois; Franklin Co.; Noah Thompson b. in Illinos in Williamson or Johnson County. Between Feb. 8th, 1804, and 1606 John married Cynthia as her first child was born 1807.
Mrs. Pearce also wrote: John's son David was already dead in 1835, and I have other proof of this then the will. I have never been able to locate the followinq sons of John, Sr.: Solomon, Joseph, William. In fact I have never seen any of them in the Census with him except John Jr. and his family. Where did they locate--not in Illinois I am sure? She told me: "My ancestress, Agnes Damronm married Stephen Gill; they named their children John C. Gil1, Polly, Benjamin, Monroe, Stephen Thompson, Elizabeth, Sarah Ann and Milton Gill." She also wrote: "I have always thought that maybe Cynthia’s maiden name was Thompson as she named her last child, b. 1823, Noah Thompson. Noah was of Bertie County, N.C." She said Benagar Gill, father of Stephen, enlisted from Delaware, and she did not know who his father was at that writing. The tombstones of Agnes and Stephen Gill are in the cemetery.

Notes for CYNTHIA THOMPSON:
Her first and last names are not known for certain. A Cynthia Damron appears on the membership role of the local church along with some members of John's second family and it does seem possible that this could well be her. It is believed that her last name might have been Thompson since that name was used in the name of her youngest son. However, no proof has been uncovered which verifies this supposition.
Children of JOHN DAMERON and ANNA LADD are:
i. GEORGE7 DAMRON, b. 12 March 1793, Russell Co. VA; d. 13 June 1840, Ector, Fannin Co. TX; m. DELILAH CATHERINE FISHER, 1816, IL; b. Abt. 1798, KY; d. 11 December 1857, Ector, Fannin Co. TX.
Notes for GEORGE DAMRON:
Moved to Bonham, Fannin Co Texas in 1829 with Bailey English and several other families. Built Fort English, a stock stockade fort with several building inside in 1836. First settlers near Caney Creek. Built the first log cabin there where daughter Deliah was born. Very prominent in civic affairs. He was appointed to build Rocky Ford Toll bridge across the Red River in 1839, finished in 1840. Also appointed to build the old Jefferson Warren trade road.

More About GEORGE DAMRON:
Burial: Carson Cemetery, Ector, Fannin Co. TX
ii. JOSEPH DAMRON, b. 22 December 1781, Russell Co. VA; m. ELIZABETH DYKES, 3 December 1815, Floyd Co. KY; b. 1796; d. 1860.
iii. SOLOMON DAMRON, b. 2 October 1783.
iv. ELIZABETH "BETSEY" DAMRON, b. 3 March 1785.
v. JUDITH DAMRON, b. 4 March 1787.
vi. WILLIAM DAMRON, b. 1 February 1789.
vii. JOHN DAMRON, JR., b. 19 May 1791, VA; d. 3 April 1856, Ellis Co. TX; m. SARAH ELIZABETH SHULTZ, 1812.
Notes for JOHN DAMRON, JR.:
Records indicate that in the early 1810's John was in New Madrid County, MO, living with his father's brother, George, who had a son also named John so that the two cousins were known by nicknames. John was "Ground Hog John" while George's son was called "Cuffy." His Uncle George died in 1816 about the time, or soon after, John married Sarah when she was only fourteen or fifteen. Census records show that he was in Franklin Co., Illinois, in 1818 and 1820. By 1830 he was in Weakley Co., Tennessee, then moved to Barry Co., Missouri. By 1844, he and his family had arrived in Ellis Co., Texas, with a company of friends, neighbors and relatives, traveling overland by wagon and teams of oxen or horses. (At least one source reports that they were members of the Mercer Colony.) After John's death in 1856, his widow and some of their children converted to Mormonism and moved to Utah.

John Damron Jr. was in New Madrid County, Missouri, in 1816. He married Sarah Shultz in Illinois and lived in Franklin County, Illinois, in 1818 and 1820. By 1830 the John Damron family was living in Weakley County, Tennessee, where Milton Wesley had been born. According to census records there were about six Damron families living in Weakley County in 1830. The family later moved to Barry County, Missouri. They lived in the portion of Barry Co. that became Newton Co. in 1838. In the later part of 1844 John and Sarah Damron along with several other families started to Texas as part of the Mercer Colony. Another family in this group was the John Pennington family. A daughter of this family was to become the wife of Milton Wesley.
The Mercer Colony was the last of the empresario grants that played a major role in the settling of Texas. The boundaries of the Mercer Colony were vague and covered most of north central Texas and reached south to near Waco. The charter recognized prior legal claims of earlier settlers. Unlike the colonies headed by Stephen F. Austin and others chartered by the Spanish and Mexican governments, this colony was approved on 29 January 1844 by Sam Houston, President of the Republic of Texas, in spite of opposition of the Texas Congress. The following day congress repealed all laws authorizing the president to form colonization contracts. After many years of bitter disputes the courts recognized about 120 claims out of over 700 claims filed in the Mercer Colony territory. The claims of John Damron and John Pennington were among the last that were accepted. Others that were disapproved were claims by a George Damron and a John Damron.
John Jr. was in the Henderson County Texas federal census for 1850 with his wife Sarah and some of their younger children listed.
viii. POLLY DAMRON, b. 12 March 1793.
ix. NOBLE LADD DAMRON, b. 16 March 1795.
x. ANNA LADD DAMRON, b. 23 December 1797, Albamarle Co. VA; d. Aft. 1851, Llano Co. TX; m. JAMES FISHER, JR., 8 May 1816, Pope Co. IL Book A, page 2; b. 1789, Union Co. IL; d. 1837.
Notes for ANNA LADD DAMRON:
After James, her husband, died, Anna was left to rear their six children on the league of land he had been posthumously granted. Since James had died intestate, a partition proceeding in the district court of Collin County awarded Anna half of the property. Each of the children was awarded equal portions of the remaining half. The area was very much still a frontier with many hardships including Indian activity. There were only about 150 people in the county in 1842 but, by 1859, the population had reached 1,950. Apparently, Anna had difficulty in supporting her family on her own. Between the years of 1845 and 1852, she executed 14 deeds, granting various sized parcels of land out of her share of the land. She evidently sold parcels of land as she required money. She sold two rather large pieces of land to her son Jobe "in consideration of the love and affection which I bear to my son..." Some years later, when Jobe was living in Goliad County, his wife, Minerva, died. Anna went to live with him to help rear his children and remained there until Jobe's death. Then, she moved to Llano where she lived with a grandson until her own death. (Source: THE TEXAS HERITAGE OF THE FISHERS AND THE CLARKS by O.C. Fisher. The Anson Jones Press, Salado, TX. 1963.) Interestingly, some descendants have come to believe that Anna was simply Anna Ladd who had been born in Holland and could speak no English until she was nineteen years old! Her son Jobe was the father of the well-known Texas gunman King Fisher.

xi. MOSES DAMRON, b. 6 June 1799, Russell Co. VA; d. Abt. 1855, Maybe Collin Co. TX; m. SUSANNA MCCLAIN.
xii. CONSTANTINE LADD DAMRON, b. 5 May 1801, Russell Co. VA; m. (1) SARAH EMELINE MCCORMICK; m. (2) SARAH MITCHELL, 8 June 1845.
Notes for CONSTANTINE LADD DAMRON:
Constantine has reported as being the father of John Henry Damron although no conclusive documentation has been presented. Most genealogists feel that the lack of proof and evidence that Hulda Majors Damron was more closely connected justifies not listing John Henry Damron among his children.

xiii. HULDA MAJORS DAMRON, b. 8 December 1803, VA; d. 21 December 1864, Fannin Co. TX; m. (1) UNKNOWN COLDIRON; m. (2) JAMES THOMAS ADDLETON.
Notes for HULDA MAJORS DAMRON:
Hulda seems to have been named for her mother's sister, Hulda, who married Robert Majors. She was born only a few months before her mother died and was reared by her step-mother, Cynthia. Hulda was married and widowed two times. She was apparently the mother of John Henry Damron . In the 1830 census, she is in the household of her first husband, James Thomas Addleton, along with a male under five years of age. There is no record of an Addleton child of this age. The age of this child is correct for John Henry Damron with whom she later lived in Texas and, apparently, died in his household. Descendants of John Henry considered Hulda as his mother. It is probable that John Henry is her child although no evidence of a previous marriage has emerged. She and James Thomas Addleton evidently raised John Henry who was to name his first son, James Thomas Damron. John Henry's account of his father's death suggests that he was referring to James Thomas Addleton rather than his biological father. James Thomas might have been his father but this seems unlikely since John Henry never took the Addleton name.

Children of JOHN DAMERON and CYNTHIA THOMPSON are:
xiv. DAVID7 DAMERON, b. 5 October 1807.
xv. SUCKEY DAMERON, b. 24 April 1809; d. 9 August 1810.
xvi. AGNES DAMERON, b. 31 July 1811.
xvii. ELVIRA DAMERON, b. 27 October 1815.
xviii. MALISSA DAMERON, b. 10 April 1818.
xix. NOAH THOMPSON DAMERON, b. 12 December 1823.
xx. THOMAS SMITH DAMERON, b. 25 February 1828, TN; m. (1) CLARA JANE FISHER, 12 March 1851, TN; b. 12 February 1825, TN; d. 1875, AR; m. (2) NANCY ELIZABETH BYRD, 1879, Izard Co. AR; b. 1 January 1840, KY.

4. LAZARUS6 DAMERON (MOSES D.5, LAZARUS4, GEORGE3, LAWRENCE2, GEORGE1) was born 1766 in Stokes Co. NC, and died 1829 in Cabell Co. VA. He met (1) JANE JARRELL in Lazarus did not marry Jane Jarrell.. She was born Abt. 1788 in Russell Co. VA, and died 1829 in VA. He married (2) NANCY ELIZABETH SHORT. She was born in Russell Co. VA, and died 1829 in VA.
Notes for LAZARUS DAMERON:
Per Romona P. Williams:
Children: Moses Damron; Samuel Damron; Anna Damron; George Damron; Richard Damron (b. abt. 1795 in Russell Co., VA; d. Dec. 20, 1862 in Floyd Co., KY)
Per: Web site = "Petition to Form Russell County - December 1785" = The petition of inhabitants of Clinch River, Moccasin Creek, Powells Valley and citizens of Washington County petition to divide the county. Request a line to be fixed along Clinch Mountain to the Carolina line; then the said line to the Cumberland Mountain........ ** SEE Petition ***
Signers: John, Lazarus, Moses Damron
"Early Records of Cabell & Mason Co." Buford Chpt. DAR " - Chpt. LII - Elizabeth Short, probaby their aunt (Samuel and Thomas - cousins), married Lazarus Damron, and unto them were born four sons, Viz: Moses, Samuel, Richard and George. Moses Damron was born in 1750's ??, and was married to Mary Preston.
Damron Newsletter - p. 133: "Article from the Ceredo Advance, dated 1 April 1896":
Lazarus came to the Big Sandy country from New Garden, Russell Co., VA in 1805, with his sons, Samuel, Moses, Richard, and George, and settled 5 miles below Piketown (Pikeville).
They begin to appear in the Floyd Co., KY court records in 1808.
Per Romona P. Williams (source = Chaney , also Dameron/Damron Family Newsletter: Vol. 3; pg. 61 and Vol. 8; pg. 188): Lazarus probably saw the Big Sandy Valley in KY as a frontier scout in the employ of the Revolutionary Spy Service. During the Revolutionary War, spies were routinely sent west of the Appalachians to keep track of British and hostile Indian activity. In 1779, Lazarus and James Fraley helped pursue marauding Wyandott Indians in the Big Sandy Valley. This area is located in what is today the border area of KY and WV just below the Ohio River.
It is generally believed that Lazarus first saw the Big Sandy Valley in KY as a frontier scout under the Rev. Spy Service. During the war, spies were routinely sent west of the Appalachian Mountains to keep track of British and hostile Indian activity. In 1779, Lazarus and James Fraley helped pursue marauding Wyandott Indians in the Big Sandy Valley (just below the Ohio River).
NARA - Revolutionary War Pension Applications: Record # 3736 for James Fraley - State of Kentucky, Floyd County [Posted by: Patrick O'Kelley
******************* SEE WEB PAGE COPY ********************
James Fraley,resident of Lawrence C., KY (b. 1759) served under Col. William Camel, Capt. Snody for 9 months as an Indian Spy in the county of Washington; on the frontier of the state bordering on the Clinch River Settlement in the County of Washington - March 1779, as Scout and Spy. The spies travelled usually in pairs (sometimes 4 persons) and spied during the months of April, May, and June, not far from the fort on the Clinch River known by Moores Fort situated about a mile from the Clinch River. There were usually 20-25 men within the fort. The Indians were not so troublesome in the immediate vicinity of Moores Fort, but more troublesome lower down on the Clinch and Powell's Valley. In August, the Wyandots from the north appreared in our vicinity, with 3 persons killed in his neighborhood. The Indians (stealing some horses) retreated down the Sandy and were pursued by the Spies. That in August and September, the Indians were always most troublesome in stealing, murdering, and burning.
The man spying with him this year was Lazarus Damron - 1779.
He enlisted for one more year in 1780, to spy in the same section. They lived on venison and bear meat. Early in June, the Indians made their appearance in his quarter of Washington Co. They first stole 2 girls (Ann and Mary Bush) and made off for Canada; down on the waters of the Sandy as far as Jurney's Creek in Floyd Co. Floyd Co. was strictly inhabited by Indians at this time. Our company came upon the Indians while they were in the act of skinning a buffalo they had just killed. Our men fired upon the Indians and they retreated to the camp about 200 yards distant, and as they ran by they tomahawked Ann Bush. Mary jumped down the bank and escaped any violence. Ann Bush recovered.
When the Spies enlisted, they could be retained for one year or discharged at 9 months in January. The Shawnee Indians had killed several persons down the river.
In 1780, Col. Camel was killed, and Col. Henry Smith succeeded him. During this service Lazarus DAMRON who enlisted the second time when said Fraley did, again spied as his comrade.
In the fall of 1781, the Indians killed, burnt and scalped a great many persons down Clinch and Powell's river and valley. The spies received about 5 shillings per day - a Good business..........................
Per: Ira W. See - WEB - Lazarus was an Indian spy on Clinch River with John Porter (per RWP stmt Lawrence Co., KY).
In 1789, some Shawnee Indians captured pregnant Jenny Wiley and her infant daughter after scalping Jenny's three other children. During her captivity, Jenny's daughter died and she lost the child she was carrying. Lazarus was one the ten men, led by Mathias Harman, who attempted to rescue her. The party followed the Indians for several days but lost the trail in flood waters of the Levisa Fork and was forced to stop. Harmon decided to build a station where they had to stop. He then began construction of the first blockhouse in eastern KY. Jenny escaped on her own about eleven months after her capture. A dog tried to follow her. Its barking created too much noise and she had to drive it back. She eventually reached the mouth of a rivulet where she stopped to rest. From that point she followed a trail of wood chips, evidently, fallen from the work of white men's axes. She reached John's Creek where she found the men building the blockhouse on the other side of the stream. She called to them and they brought her across. One source reports that it was Lazarus who was on a raft in the creek who brought her to the blockhouse side. (See: " The Big Sandy" Carol Crowe-Carraco).
Per: madfeese@lucernevalley.net = "he had a house servant and was the father to Jane Jarrell's children".
Following General "Mad" Anthony Wayne's victory at Fallen Timbers in 1794, the area was considered safe for settlement. In 1795, about 75 families were settled in what is now Pike County, KY. Among them was the Damron family. In 1801, Lazarus settled near the mouth of Hurricane Creek in an area later called "Damron's Fort". It isn't known if he actually built the fort or if it was given his name as a prominent frontiersman of the area. He moved to the Big Sandy Valley in 1805, settling 5 miles below Piketown (Pikesville), KY.
Lazarus is listed in the Russell Co., VA Tax List in the years: 1788; 1789; 1790; 1791; 1792/93; 1794; 1797; 1798; 1799
"Albermarle Co. VA Surveyor's Plat Book 1744-1853" - ?? pg. 7 (20) #4 - Lazarus Damril; 212 ac adjoining North side of Fluvanna River; March 28, 1746 - by Thomas Turpin asst. surveyor; shows river.
"Deed Book IV - 1824-1831" Carrie Eldridge: pg. 37 (pg. 469) 23 February 1828 indenture
William Bromley and Lazarus Damron to Thompson Ratliff, James Ferguson, and John Garrett, 1/2 of 2 tracts - 300a on Mill Ck and 150a next to 300a granted Ward family. Justices: S. Thornburg, John Everett Jr. CCC JS
Lazarus was named in his father's will - Grayson Co., VA court records.

More About Lazarus DAMRON:
Marriage:: 1788, Nancy Short - Russell Co., VA [New Garden].
Military service: 1779, Revolutionary Spy Service in Big Sandy Valley.
Residence 1: 1801, settled near the mouth of Hurricane Creek.
Residence 2: Russell Co., VA.
Residence 3: 1805, Moved to the Big Sandy Valley - about 5 miles from Pikesville, KY.
Residence 4: 1810, Floyd Co., KY.

Notes for JANE JARRELL:
Nancy Short in May have been Marrried to Lazarus
Nancy MCINERY in May have been Married to Lazarus
Jane Jarrell????? in Sources say Jane Jarrell unmarried?
Jane Jarrell lived in the household of Lazarus Dameron and help care for his mentaly ill wife and while in the household she had a family by Lazarus Dameron this would probaly have been in the late 1700s because they show 4 children- Vashtie Jarrell, Rev John Jarrell b 1806, Harrison Jarrell Sr b1819, Samuel Simpson Jarrell b 1825.I have not found out who Jane Jarrells parents are.

Children of LAZARUS DAMERON and JANE JARRELL are:
i. REV. JOHN7 JARRELL, b. 27 May 1806, Russell Co. VA; d. 18 November 1884, Wayne Co. WV; m. ELIZABETH BRUMLEY, 14 December 1827, Forks of Big Sandy, Lawrence Co. KY; b. 25 November 1811, Forks of Big Sandy, Lawrence Co. KY; d. 18 September 1898, died of Flux; age at 81 years 9 mos, 11 days.
Notes for REV. JOHN JARRELL:
Another source shows death as October 1885
More About REV. JOHN JARRELL:
Burial: Lambert Family Cemetery, Brumley Ridge, Wayne Co. WV
ii. RACHEL JARRELL, b. 1807, VA now Wayne Co. WV; d. 1891; m. DAVID WEBB, 8 February 1833, Lawrence Co. KY; b. 1811; d. 1888.
iii. VASHTI JARRELL, b. Abt. 1815, Floyd Co. KY; m. SAMUEL V. DAMRON, 26 July 1835, Cabell Co. VA; b. 1812; d. 1905.
iv. BENJAMIN HARRISON JARRELL, SR., b. 1819, VA now Wayne Co. WV; d. Abt. 1885, Martin Co. KY; m. DORCAS MAYNARD, 5 September 1839, Lawrence Co. KY; b. Abt. 1820, Floyd Co. KY; d. Abt. 1911, Martin Co. KY.
v. SAMUEL SIMPSON JARRELL, b. July 1825, VA; d. 22 April 1908, Ceredo, Wayne Co. WV; m. MALINDA J. WHITTEN; b. 5 November 1818; d. 6 November 1898.
More About SAMUEL SIMPSON JARRELL:
Burial: Perdue Cemetery, Wayne Co. WV
Children of LAZARUS DAMERON and NANCY SHORT are:
vi. MOSES7 DAMERON, b. 1789, Russell Co. VA; d. 1855; m. (1) MARY PRESTON, 28 March 1811, Floyd Co. KY; b. 1794; d. 1834; m. (2) REBECCA HERALD, 26 July 1835, Cabell Co. VA; b. 1805.
Notes for MOSES DAMERON:
Marriage to Rebecca is in Cabell Co., WV, Marriage Index to 1892 Book 1 page 65.
vii. SAMUEL DAMERON, b. 7 May 1793, near the Clinch River, New Garden, Russell Co. VA; d. 1889, Wayne Co. W V; m. (1) SARAH RATCLIFF, 14 November 1814, Floyd Co. KY; b. Abt. 1796; m. (2) SARAH SMITH, 16 June 1866, Lawrence Co. KY; b. 1818; d. 1882.
More About SAMUEL DAMERON:
Burial: near his home at the mouth of McComas Creek, Wayne Co. WV
Divorced: 1876, Sarah Smith Wayne Co. WV
viii. RICHARD DAMERON, b. Abt. 1795, Russell Co. VA; d. 20 December 1862, Floyd Co. KY; m. (1) RHODA FITZGERALD, 16 June 1816, Floyd Co. KY; d. 1830; m. (2) PHOEBE LOWE, 13 March 1821, Lawrence Co. KY; b. 1803.
ix. ANNA DAMERON, b. Abt. 1800, VA; m. SAMUEL PORTER, Bef. 1828; b. 1795.
x. GEORGE DAMERON, b. Abt. 1807, VA; d. Aft. 1880, He was living with his son, Lace, when the 1880 census was taken.; m. (1) SARAH PRESTON, 16 February 1826, Lawrence Co. KY; m. (2) FANNY ESTEP, 19 June 1866, Lawrence Co. KY; m. (3) SARAH ANN VINSON, 15 June 1867, Lawrence Co. KY.

SubjectAuthorDate Posted
Shmscott2 29 Dec 2002 1:41PM GMT 
James Barbee 1 Feb 2003 3:39AM GMT 
Linda 1 Feb 2003 5:26AM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions