Replies: 6

Re: DANCY (and DANCEY) families from England

Posted: 25 Aug 2011 2:13PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 27 Aug 2011 2:10PM GMT
Surnames: Dancy Seaver Pockridge
Hi Lin,

More food for thought....

I had a look at the name Jonathan Seaver following my earlier reply this evening and found the following, which must surely relate to a descendant of the couple Jonathan Seaver and Miss Pockrage ...

England & Wales Christening Records, 1530-1906
A female named Maria Isabelle Nicolina Seaver, who was born abt 1856 was christened in Wivelsfield, Sussex, England on 6 Jul 1856, and her parents were Jonathan Pockrich Seaver and Maria Nicolina Seaver.
Then there is another entry for her with exactly the same details but a different date (23 Jan 1857) and this time ("St Nicholas") is added.

Then on 22 Aug 1867 in Brighton, Sussex, England [no further info shown as to wherein] there was a baptism of a child named Jonathan Pockrich Seaver with his father named the same ie, Jonathan Pockrich Seaver.

Then on 27 July 1873 there was another baptism in Brighton (in the St Peter collection), Sussex, England for a Thomas Charles Patrick Seaver son of Jonathan Pockrich Seaver and Maria Nicolina Seaver

What is interesting in this information is that the village of WIVELSFIELD, Sussex, England was a KNOWN "Dancy" zone (especially with the surname spelt that particular way) especially in the earlier part of the 1800's.

How intriguing!...

And some more information I just found was that when their daughter Maria Isabelle Nicola Seaver died (on 30 August 1937 as a spinster of 45 Cromwell Road Hove, in the county of Sussex in England) the executor of her estate was a Rev. Percy gibbens Browning, clerk)

Now this Jonathan Seaver was found in 1901 in Croydon England as father in law to a Frank Sachs who had married his daughter Louisa [Seaver] and Louisa was born in Brighton Sussex England abt 1861. Jonathan was shown as being born abt 1825 in Ireland, a widower aged 76 occupation Retired Schoolmaster. I'm hazarding a guess that This 1825 born JPS was a son or grandson of the JS who married Miss Pockridge and am a bit surprised that there was no mention of a Miss Pockridge in the following story:
http://genforum.genealogy.com/seaver/messages/14.html

The 1901 census is the only one where I have found him with a simple search of Jon* Seaver.

What do you think?

If only we could find a Pockridge=Dancy marriage...
Penny
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
pennyakers_1 9 Jan 2011 8:44PM GMT 
LinHendrickso... 23 Aug 2011 1:51PM GMT 
pennyakers_1 25 Aug 2011 6:43AM GMT 
rozroberts501 5 Feb 2012 9:17PM GMT 
pennyakers_1 25 Aug 2011 7:44PM GMT 
pennyakers_1 25 Aug 2011 8:13PM GMT 
rozroberts501 5 Feb 2012 9:26PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions