Search for content in message boards

Black Dansby's

Replies: 2

Black Dansby's

Posted: 28 Aug 2013 2:48AM GMT
Classification: Query
For Anyone looking for info on the History of the Dansby’s feel free to contact me!! Let me tell you a little about my research so far. Most if not all black Dansby’s get their origin from one of the following states -- Tennessee, Alabama, Georgia, Arkansas, Mississippi,Texas, Lousiana, South Carolina, and Florida. That’s to say in 2013 with all the Black Dansby’s in the United States their beginnings are in one of the states previously mentioned. And, then all these are traced backed to South Carolina to one White Dansby Family, most likely. If you know where your folks where in 1870, the first time ex-slaves appeared in the US Census then it is quite possible for you to just about know which Dansby family owned your ancestors during slavery times. Let me tell you a few things I uncovered researching my Dansby’s. My great-great grandfather was Simon Dansby born around 1833-1836, his wife was Mariah Duke. Well, while researching, I came across a deed from 1847. In the deed, William Dansby the slave owner was giving my great-great grandmother Mariah (about 8 years old at the time) away as a gift to his granddaughter Mary Duke. That same day the slave owner also gifted Mariah’s sisters Jane and Rebecca Ann to his other 2 granddaughters. Jane was 6 yrs old and Rebecca Ann 2 months old. To His daughter Mary Jane Duke, the slave owner William Dansby gave 4 slaves that same day. A 50 yr old man named Abraham, his wife Lucy, 35 yrs old and her 3 yr old son James, and a fourteen year old boy by the name of Davey. Now, check this out!!!!!!!! A few weeks ago I was researching some Dansby’s in Louisiana and came across a Ned Dansby. Now about 2 yrs ago when I first started researching, I had talked with a young lady from Louisiana and she asked me if I thought it might be possible that the Dansby’s of Louisiana could be related to the Dansby’s of Georgia. At that time I told her perhaps, because the Dansby slave owner in Louisiana came from Georgia and was the son of William Dansby the slave owner in Heard County, Georgia and the slave owner of my great great grands. So any way, when I looked at Ned’s family, I immediately noticed that his oldest daughter ‘s name was Lucy and his oldest son’s name was Abraham. I then noticed that Ned stated that he was born in Georgia. And then I found Ned’s Death Certificate. On the death certificate the informant stated that Ned’s father was Abraham Dansby and his mother was Lucy Dansby. So, it was obviously easy to see that Ned had been taken from his mother and father in Georgia as a child and left Georgia with William Dansby’s son Joshua D. Dansby. So here I have in 1847, my great great grandmother and her family being broken up. But, before slavery ended Mariah would marry Simon Dansby and her sister Jane would marry Simon’s brother Thomas Dansby. Then there is a William Dansby who I believe is Simon’s younger brother and he married a Eliza Duke. So with this research I can definitely say that the Dansby’s of Louisiana and Georgia share a kinship. It appears to me that Ned was most likely my great greatgrand mothers brother. Before my father passed this May, he had asked me to organize a Dansby family reunion in Atlanta, Georgia and I was to invite Dansby’s from all over the country. My day felt that just the name Dansby alone fostered a kinship between all black Dansby’s. He did not know a lot of his family history but he was proud of the Dansby name and wanted to meet others who also carried the name. Mozelle Sanford Dansby III loved the Lord, his family, his hometown in Georgia and Music. Look him up and you will find that he was a Community Activist that believed in helping others around his build a better quality of life. My Grandfather Mozelle Sanford II was the twelth child of 12. His brothers and sisters all left Georgia as they grew up and moved to places like Detroit, Dayton, Ohio, New York, D.C.,Tennessee and Pennsylvania. But getting back on researching the Dansby’s, I am interested in helping others searching to find out where their families came from. Keep digging for them dead folks and you will uncover some interesting family History. My Simon Dansby before he died in 1910, owned almost 500 acres of land in Heard County, Georgia and his brother Thomas Dansby owned 200 acres. Look up Claude B. Dansby of Morehouse College and you will hear of him as referred to as the Legendary Claude B. Dansby who was a Professor to Martin Luther King Jr. when he attended Morehouse. Also B.B. Dansby, the fourth President of Jackson State College in Mississippi. Even my grandfather Mozelle S. Dansby II, fondly called “Fess” was considered one of the smartest and mathematically gifted citizens of Heard County, Georgia who attended college in Atlanta and later built and ministered a church and school house in Heard County, Georgia. One sad part of my family History is that I have had to attend the funeral of my Father Mozelle S. Dansby III this year, my grandfather Mozelle S. Dansby II in 1966, and my brother Mozelle Sanford Dansby IV also in 1966. So for all you Dansby’s out there looking and searching get to know who you are. Be the writer of your history, for only you can tell the story of your family. I can be reach at gregdee74@hotmail.com or gregory.o.dansby.civ@mail.mil
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
GrDansby 28 Aug 2013 8:48AM GMT 
mozellesdansb... 8 Dec 2013 3:56PM GMT 
mozellesdansb... 9 Dec 2013 1:56AM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions