Search for content in message boards

darbys of tipton & oldbury

Replies: 16

Re: darbys of tipton & oldbury

Posted: 14 Jan 2012 12:03PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: darby braden mallin
Hi Margaret,

Let me tell you what I know about that bible.

The old bible that I have originally belonged to a man named William Mallin of West Bromwich, who lived from 1772 to 1855. One of William's children was William Henry, who married Hannah Abell in 1833 in Dudley. One of their children was Sarah Mallin, who married John Brayden in All Saints Church in West Bromwich in 1854. Their eldest child was William Henry Braden, who emigrated to the US in the late 1870s. This William Henry was my great-great grandfather. My guess is that the bible went to John and Sarah Brayden at some point, thus changing families, and then went to the US after they died.

One of William Henry Braden's sons, Arthur, did a bit of family history research, and it was he who left notes on the Braden family in the Mallin bible. But I am quite sure that he got a bit of it wrong, and this is where things get complicated. Here is the little that Arthur wrote of his own Braden ancestry:

1) John Braden (brigade major at battle of Waterloo, June 1815)
2) John Braden (b 11-20-1834, killed in mine)
3) William Henry Braden (b 5-16-1855)
4) Arthur Braden

Now, the Tipton parish registers say that John Braden (#2) was baptised on 11-20-1833, so he could not have been born in 1834. Those same registers name John's parents as William and Mary Ann Braden, and state that William's occupation was "miner". I really doubt that this man was present at Waterloo, let alone as an officer (there was one Jacob Braden in the battle, but he was in a German troop, and a private). I hate to disagree with me own great-grandfather, who was closer in time to the people and events than I am, but....

Now if Arthur got some of his ancestry wrong, what are we to make of the statement that one of his ancestors had been killed in a mine? That doesn't seem like an embellishment to me (in contrast to participation at Waterloo), so I take it as truthful, but applied to the wrong man. Since Arthur's great grandfather was indeed a miner, and because that miner's wife remarried in 1838, it seems likely that William Braden was killed in a mine. But I have not been able to find any confirmation of this event-- no burial record for him in any CofE church register, nor any newspaper report of a Tipton-area mining accident that named him as a victim.

I doubt that the Bradens were CofE, though. Being poor, they were probably Methodists. Still, my understanding is that in the 1830 the Anglican church was still recording the baptisms, marriages, and burials for other denominations, except for the Quakers and Jews. It was only later that the other churches started to keep their own records.

I will contact you soon at your other email address with more info, but I look forward to learning what you know of the Braden family!

Dale
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
terryball1 20 Nov 2005 11:57AM GMT 
margaretwatti... 16 Nov 2008 2:11PM GMT 
genghis17 11 Jan 2012 3:50AM GMT 
margaretwatti... 12 Jan 2012 4:47PM GMT 
genghis17 14 Jan 2012 7:03PM GMT 
margaretwatti... 13 Jan 2012 3:53PM GMT 
margaretwatti... 24 Sep 2006 5:07PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic