Search for content in message boards

Still Talking about the Daugherty Clan

Replies: 18

Still Talking about the Daugherty Clan

Posted: 11 Dec 2008 8:42AM GMT
Classification: Query
Good Morning,

One of my Daugherty acquaintances sent me a forwarded message from your "Member of the Daugherty Clan" discussion. He had not participated himself, but saw the name Owen Daugherty and thought I might be interested. I AM! I am writing a book on the descendants of Owen Daugherty.

The only person I recognize in the discussion right now is Shelia B, the descendant of Arnett Daughety of Alabama.

Let me tell you what I know, and you can tell me if you're interested in entering into another conversation on another website.

The first ancestor that we can be sure of is Owen Dogharty I (about 1656 - 1712), who migrated from Ireland (probably Templemor Parish, including the city of Derry)to Norfolk Co., VA, in 1673. He married an Elizabeth (perhaps Macoy). They had at least one son, named Owen Dougharty (about 1697 - about 1725), who lived his whole life in Norfolk Co., VA. He married a Susannah (perhaps Alexander).

Owen II and Susannah had at least one son, named Owen Daughety (about 1715 - 1785), who migrated from Norfolk Co., VA, to Craven Co., NC, around 1742.

Owen III had 5 children by his first wife, whose name may have been Sarah, but we really don't know. Those children were Owen IV, Richard, Elizabeth, Susannah, and Sarah. Sometime before 1762, he married Mary Taylor and had 5 more children: Robert, Daniel, Ephraim, Holland (a daughter), and Reuben.

All the men of that first family initially remained in Craven and Lenoir Counties, NC, after their father's death. I don't know what happened to Elizabeth or Susannah. Sarah married a James Taylor and migrated to Tennessee.

All the children of the second family, except Ephraim, migrated to Warren and Butler Counties, KY. Reuben later moved on to Mississippi and Alabama.

In that second or third generation, there were siblings named Solomon, Job, Daniel, and Margaret. We know that Margaret remained in Virginia, but we're not sure whom she married (it may have been an Etheridge). Solomon, Job, and Daniel migrated to Craven Co., NC, along with Owen III.

Solomon I died in Craven Co. around 1755. Solomon II got in trouble for siding with the British during the Rev. War. There may have been a Solomon III, because either II or III migrated eventually to Tennessee. This may be where several of you hook into the family.

At any rate, if any of you believe you hook into this line, let me know, and I'll send you an "invite" to our family website.

Donna Hart
Greenville, IL
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
dosthart 11 Dec 2008 3:42PM GMT 
eridau 8 Oct 2009 7:43PM GMT 
dosthart 10 Jul 2012 11:37PM GMT 
mikemathis618 10 Jul 2012 9:35PM GMT 
dosthart 10 Jul 2012 11:53PM GMT 
mikemathis618 11 Jul 2012 12:08AM GMT 
mikemathis618 11 Jul 2012 10:17PM GMT 
dosthart 23 Nov 2012 5:53AM GMT 
jerrydonelle1... 24 Nov 2012 10:43PM GMT 
phelpsbarber 8 Nov 2012 8:14PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions