Search for content in message boards

georgia or tennessee davenports

Replies: 44

Re: Davenports of Blueridge

Posted: 3 Dec 2005 1:12AM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 12 Jan 2006 6:43PM GMT
Surnames: Davenport, Owenby, Thompson, Mauney, Corn
Hi, I'm trying to research my grandfather's relatives. His name was M. E. Davenport (Melvin Escal Davenport, we knew him by George because he moved out of state when he was a young man, but he had other knick-names as well; Whitey was one, because he went prematurely grey, or so I was told.) He married Eula Owenby (daughter of A.C. Owenby and Alice Mauney of Blueridge) in the 1920's and moved to Taft, California to work in the oil fields, He worked for Standard Oil in Taft most of his life (they retired to Bakersfield, CA and is buried there. I don't have exact birth or death dates at the moment). They had a son who died, age 3, while back in Georgia on a visit. Harold Brooks Davenport. I found his tombstone on a website. A year or two later, 1928, they had my dad who they named Eddie (at some point he legally changed his name to Edward Lewis Davenport).
Both my grandparents were born and raised in Fannin County and they both came from very large families, with 11-13 siblings each. He told me their first names once when I asked him but I was a teenager and that was 30 years ago. I think I'd recognize them if I heard them again but I didn't write anything down. I believe his mother's maiden name was Thompson, but I don't know either of his parent's first names. I know Eula was from Blueridge or at least that was the closest town in Georgia to where the family's home was but I'm not positive about my grandfather. Eula told me that his family's farm got buried when they built a dam in the area. If any of this information fits in with anything anyone knows about the Davenports of Blueridge or Fannin County, Georgia in general, I'd appreciate hearing from you. Thank you,
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
VirginiaLee14 27 May 2000 7:48PM GMT 
jslaughter 2 Jun 2000 11:37PM GMT 
Jason Bulkeley 30 Mar 2000 12:15AM GMT 
melnic12 6 Jun 2013 4:08PM GMT 
melnic12 6 Jun 2013 4:40PM GMT 
mary4lynn 21 Jan 2012 7:39AM GMT 
mary4lynn 23 Jan 2013 6:23AM GMT 
anneandjack 3 Dec 2005 8:12AM GMT 
cgresh1952 17 Jan 2012 4:07PM GMT 
kathysfamilyr... 5 Jan 2013 5:19PM GMT 
per page