Search for content in message boards

Family of Jefferson Davis

Replies: 7

Jefferson Davis

Posted: 4 Jun 2001 1:13PM GMT
Edited: 26 Jun 2001 8:38PM GMT
Thanks for answering - I was beginning to despair of ever obtaining any additional information. I would be happy to share what I have - but I warn you, it's not much!

Everything I've got, I obtained from the internet and family conversation. Here goes:

Elizabeth H. Davis was the daughter of Thomas Jefferson Davis and Elizabeth Humes, all I believe born in Virginia. Family tales have it that Thomas Jefferson Davis (or maybe it was actually Elizabeth) was a cousin of Jefferson Davis by way of Jefferson Davis' father. The water gets a little murky here as the 2 gentlemen telling me this are in their 80's. Thomas Jefferson Davis & Elizabeth lived on a horse farm in Missouri. Supposedly their two boys were forced into the Confederate Army - remember Missouri was supposed to be a neutral state. At any rate, both of the boys were killed leaving Mr. Davis, Elizabeth & other girls on the plantation. The plantation had 22 slaves at one time. I believe the plantation to be in Caldwell County, MO, but haven't been able to locate a name for it yet. Raiders raided the farm, drove off all the livestock, took all the food dried, cured, stored for the winter & killed Thomas Jefferson Davis. At some point after this, daughter Elizabeth married Robert A. Paxton on December 9, 1868. Story has it that they & Mrs. Davis and several of the girls left Missouri & came to Oregon settling in the Silver Lake area & then Lakeview, both in the Southern part of Oregon. My branch of the family, who would be Elizabeth Davis (the daughter) & Robert Paxton, settled in Lakeview. On December 24, 1894 in Silver Lake, Oregon, a large group had gathered for a special Christmas event for the children. They gathered on the 2nd floor of what apparently was a dry goods/livery stable for the program. At some point a man got up from the program, bumped an oil lamp, spilled the oil, fire raged & people panicked, swamping the only exit which was a stairwell. The stairwell gave way. The end result was that 43 people died as a result of that fire, 11 of them being various members of the Davis-Buick-Owsley family. The only reason that more of the Davis family were not lost was that some of the men were returning from a cattle drive & hadn't made it to the program. The bodies were too burned for identification & are buried in a mass grave in Silver Lake with a large monument over it. My side, now known as Paxton, lived in Lakeview. Robert & Elizabeth had a daughter, Vida, who married Frank Wilson, whose daughter Lydia married W. D. Bishop, who was the father of my uncle. - Boy, that was long winded.

At any rate, I haven't been able to trace the connection with Jefferson Davis other than with the name & can't find graves for the two boys killed or their names. Thomas Jefferson Davis & Elizabeth had a son, James Davis, born about 1836, but haven't been able to trace a date of death or if he was a casualty of war. I can find 7 children for TJD & Elizabeth, but only 1 boy.

I don't know if this helps or not, but if you have any information to share, I sure would like to receive it. I'm still working on the name of the plantation. I did find TJD's grave, but can't put my finger on it right now. I also took the Davis, etc, family back to the 1500's. Let me know if any of this means anything to you. Nice to hear from you.
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
Alice_Sisemor... 23 Jan 2001 7:02PM GMT 
nfray1 15 Apr 2001 4:28PM GMT 
TexzonaKids 4 Jun 2001 11:22AM GMT 
Alice_Sisemor... 4 Jun 2001 7:13PM GMT 
TexzonaKids 4 Jun 2001 8:41PM GMT 
Alice_Sisemor... 5 Jun 2001 8:02AM GMT 
helmboy 24 Jun 2002 7:44PM GMT 
alice sisemore 25 Jun 2002 12:51AM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic