Search for content in message boards

Daniel Davison from Scotland 1650 ?

Replies: 3

Daniel Davison from Scotland 1650 ?

Posted: 23 Nov 2012 12:52PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Davison
Reading below a short story about Daniel Davison how can find a different story with a father we know nothing about. This Daniel Davison never told anyone of his birthplace or family as far as I can tell. We would truly love information and facts to believe differently. Can I get some help with this please.
Here is the story below.
Daniel Davison (Circa 1630 - 1693), from the lowlands of Scotland, became a soldier in the Covenanter Army. Taken prisoner by Cromwell’s army, he was exiled to New England as an indentured servant. He may have been captured at Dunbar or at Worchester. In either event, he arrived at the Massachusetts Bay Colony in 1651, or soon thereafter.

The following letter, dated July 28, 1651, was written by Rev. John Cotton, a minister at Boston, to Lord General Cromwell. Although Daniel may, or may not, have been included in the group of Scots to which Cotton refers, the letter serves to describe his circumstances in New England.

“ The Scots whom God delivered into your hands at Dunbarre and whereof sundry were sent hither, we have been desirous (as we could) to make their yoke easy. Such as were sick of scurvy or other diseases have not wanted for physick and chirurgery. They have not been sold for slaves to perpetual servitude but for 6, 7 or 8 years as do our owne; and he that brought most of them I hear buildeth houses for them every four a house, layeth some acres of ground thereto which he giveth them as their owne, requiring 3 days in the weeks to work for him (by turns) and 4 for themselves and promiseth as soon as they can repay the money he laid out for them, he will set them at liberty.”

(S.D. Drake’s “Founders of New
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
phoenix655 23 Nov 2012 7:52PM GMT 
Countrygirl21... 10 Dec 2012 12:01PM GMT 
phoenix655 10 Dec 2012 7:07PM GMT 
Countrygirl21... 10 Dec 2012 8:17PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic