Search for content in message boards

Caroline Davy (of Wales) married to William Wilkins, 1840

Replies: 41

Re: Caroline Davy (of Wales) married to William Wilkins, 1840

Posted: 2 Dec 2008 6:04PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Davy
G’day Paul,

Nice to hear from you; and congratulations on beating the Wallabies!

As you may have seen from earlier postings, Captain Leyson Hopkin Davy was my GG grandfather and his daughter Caroline, my G grandmother. She married William Wilkins. These ancestors were from Wales before elements of both the Davy and the Wilkins families migrated to NZ and Australia, where I am (Sydney).
I have written a family history, “From Brecon to Broken Hill: the History of a Wilkins Family”, which is currently held in a few of the Welsh and Cornish libraries including (I believe) Brecon Library and Powys County Archives Office. You can Google the book’s title and maybe arrange an inter-library loan.
The book contains two chapters about the Davy family but in answer to your specific question, Captain Davy was his retiring rank from the Honourable East India Company. Whilst in the service of HEIC he fought in many battles in India and the Dutch East Indies (now Indonesia). He seems to have been quite heroic.
Since the earlier postings of info on this thread I have learnt that Leyson Davy and his wife, Elizabeth (nee Lawrence), had two other children, Robert and William who were both baptized on 16 April 1820 in Newcastle parish, Glamorgan. I have no more detail on these two sons so if you have access to the Glamorgan burial index I would appreciate any further input. As they don’t appear to have migrated to NZ with Leyson and three other sons I suspect Robert and William may have died young.
I would also be most interested in hearing of any additional information about Sarn Fawr. I have an old 1884 map of its location, if you would like.

Regards from
Dave

SubjectAuthorDate Posted
DavidWilkins9... 28 Sep 2007 4:59AM GMT 
philvn 28 Sep 2007 10:07AM GMT 
welshpoet 2 Dec 2008 6:36PM GMT 
DavidWilkins9... 3 Dec 2008 1:04AM GMT 
welshpoet 3 Dec 2008 1:25PM GMT 
welshpoet 3 Dec 2008 1:32PM GMT 
DavidWilkins9... 3 Dec 2008 11:57PM GMT 
welshpoet 4 Dec 2008 12:41AM GMT 
fionadavy 8 Nov 2009 10:47AM GMT 
philvn 8 Nov 2009 1:33PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions