Search for content in message boards

Dawes from Stoke Deremell Devon England

Replies: 30

Re: Dawes from Stoke Deremell Devon England

Posted: 28 Apr 2011 11:03PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Dawe, Finemore, Mahony, Pike
I hope to have a few answers for you in regards to the questions you posted about Isaac and James DAWE and their families. I am the gg-granddaughter of both Isaac and James DAWE. They were indeed brothers according to our family's verbal history. My grandfather and his mother provided many names and relationships of family for my mother. We also have family photos that Amelia brought with her when she came to the USA. Over the years my mother and I have filled in the details with census records and birth, marriage and death certificates. Here is what we have learned.

Isaac married Elizabeth Stockman FINEMORE (2 Mar 1864). To them were born 5 children. According to our family verbal history Isaac drowned in Plymouth Bay the day his youngest daughter, Harriet, was born. I located Isaac's death record and it confirms that he drowned about the same time that Harriet was born. Their son Charles Bale DAWE b.2 Aug 1857 married 1st Sarah Jane PIKE (25 May 1878). To this union was born a son Charles Randolph John DAWE b.5 May 1879. On the 1881 Census Charles is living with his mother and his 1 yr. old son Charles. He is listed as a widower. Charles Bale DAWE married 2nd Amelia DAWE (31 May 1884). I have in my possession both marriage records of Charles Bales DAWE to Sarah and to Amelia. To the union of Charles Bale and Amelia DAWE were born 6 children. Twins who died shortly after birth and 4 sons who lived. One of these sons was my grandfather Percy Isaac DAWE b.16 Dec 1887. Grandpa's half brother, Charles, was the first to immigrate to the USA followed by the other 4 brothers and then their parents Charles Bale and Amelia DAWE. My mother knew all of her uncles and her grandparents, Charles and Amelia, and always knew they were first cousins. Amelia lived with them after Charles died so she had memories of her more then of her grandfather Charles.
Amelia's father was James DAWE, a tailor by trade and Charles Bale's father was Isaac DAWE, a shipwright by trade. This information was known by the family and is confirmed on their marriage record as well as other records. On the 1841 British Census, Devon, Stoke Damerell, St. Aubyn, Dist. 4, the family is listed as John age 50 a laborer, Grace age 60, James age 20, a tailor, and Isaac age 15, ag laborer. The 1851 census, as you noted, lists only John age 60, a laborer and widower, and Isaac age 23, a shipwright.
According to the marriage record of Isaac DAWE and Elizabeth Stockman FINEMORE, Isaac's occupation is shipwright. Isaac's father is John, a warder and Elizabeth's father is William, a mariner.
I located James DAWE on the 1851 British Census, Clerkenwell, Middlesex, England Enumerated: 30 March 1851. This census was indexed with the name as DANE so was hard to find. The family reads: James DAWE age 30, a tailor, born in Devonport, Amelia age 28 born Devonport, and Elizabeth Ann age 3 born St.Luke, Middlesex.
I located Amelia MAHANY on the 1841 Census Devonport, Stoke Damerel, England Saint John Street Pg. 19
Amelia is 15 years old. Her father is listed as Robert MAHANY age 50, a caulker, her mother is listed as Maria age 50. I also located the birth/baptism record of Amelia MAHONY. Amelia, daughter of Robert & Maria MAHANEY Born: September 6, 1822 Baptized: October 7, 1822 by Theo. Martin Occupation of father: Cauker
According to the marriage record of James DAWE and Amelia MAHONEY (6 Mar 1843)James is a tailor. James's father is John, a labourer and Amelia's father is Robert a chalker. To this union were born 4 children.

I have located a marriage record in Stoke Damerel,Devon:
"Daw [Dawe], John, Labourer, and Grace Beal, Spinster, (Witnesses: Wm. Matthews and John Thoms.)
June 26, 1815"
I have located 3 birth/baptism records listing the father as John DAWE, a warder, and the mother Grace.
1st, Stoke Damerel Baptism Register: # 328, 27 August 1820, James DAWE, son of John and Grace of Dock, Father's occ. Warder.
2nd, Film #0590689,Book 4,Page 28 states: "born July 13,1822 and baptized Aug. 5,1822 Harriett, daughter of John & Grace DAWE Occ. of father: Warder bap. by James Jaggar"
3rd, Born:Jan. 1, 1826 Baptized: Jan. 17, 1826 Name: Isaac, son of John and Grace Dawe occ. of father: Warder at the Dock-yard Baptized by James McDonald.

The fact that John DAWE'S occupation is listed sometimes as laborer or warder is the one detail that leaves me not 100% sure I have found the right records. I followed John through to his death on 26 Dec 1872 and by 1861 he is always listed as superannuated(retired)of dockyard. On these more recent records sometimes superannuated warder of dockyard is listed and sometimes only superannuated of dockyard is listed. It is pretty difficult to know for sure the farther back we go in research. I know that I have not noted the locations of all these events but all events have taken place in the county of Devon until James DAWE and Amelia MAHONY moved to Middlesex county where they raised their family. I hope this has helped you to at least know what I have put together and concluded so far. I will try to find the time to update my tree at ancestry with full information and documentation for what I have on my DAWE family so that you and others can see the threads. I need to add pictures too, I know that people would appreciate that.
Sarah Barth

Two more items: 1)What do you need for a male DAWE DNA? My grandfather only had daughters but he does have grandsons. His brothers had sons and I know of at least one line of males living in the San Francisco Bay area, California, USA.
2) In regards to the 1861 census. A librarian at the Family History Library in Salt Lake City, Utah, USA helped me locate the census page that Isaac and Elizabeth DAWE should have been on using the address the family was living at according to the birth record of one of their children who was born just before that year. Next to the address was written: "family not home". That is probably why we can not find them on the 1861 census.

SubjectAuthorDate Posted
nutdance 29 Apr 2011 5:03AM GMT 
LornaHenNZ 29 Apr 2011 6:21AM GMT 
Dawne Dawe 29 Apr 2011 6:52AM GMT 
nutdance 29 Apr 2011 1:16PM GMT 
tedjones171 29 Apr 2011 5:06PM GMT 
janroberts678 7 Aug 2012 6:35PM GMT 
treview1 8 Aug 2012 8:02AM GMT 
nutdance 10 Aug 2012 5:06PM GMT 
nutdance 10 Aug 2012 5:04PM GMT 
janroberts678 11 Aug 2012 11:51AM GMT 
per page