Search for content in message boards

Martin Dawson of Virginia

Replies: 86

Dawson Genealogy, 1600-1800

Don Dawson (View posts)
Posted: 24 Jan 2000 11:47AM GMT
Hi Helen,

1. Vol I of "Dawsons in Rev. War" would not be of much help. The only thing it has additional is a very brief
section on Pleasant Dawson, and there is no more additional contribution to genealogy.

2. I have just gotten started on a Dawson Family Genealogy page: http://www.padgraphics.com/family/
I have gotten my Dawson genealogy outline list posted there.

3. Who is Mary Roy Dawson (Hedian) Edwards you ask? Another Dawson studier of genealogy. Her book
"A Beginning" was one of the primary sources that Carol Ruth Dawson (Dawsons in the Rev. War) used for
the sections on John Dawson (Vol II, pp 229-254) and Martin Dawson (Vol II, pp 287-297). The Edwards
now have built a home on a portion of one of the former Dawson farms in Albemarle County.

Generation 1 ----------------------------------(Don Dawson numbering)
Henry Dawson? From Mary Roy's book, p 4, and sourced to the original work done by Jane F. Smith (a
Dawson descendant, descendant of Nelson Dawson) Director of the Social and Economic Records Division
of the Interior Dept. in the National Archives (1970s).
She lists Henry Dawson of Breeden, Leicester, England (of around 1600, no dates given, just personal
calculations) had 4 sons:

Generation 2 ----------------------------------(Don Dawson numbering)
1. Oldest, Griffin Dawson, inherited his father's estate and remained in England.
2. William Dawson, (must have emigrated early 1630s) to Isle of Wight Co., patented 150 acres, Nov. 20,
1635. The next 2 of his generations are listed on my web page.
3. Thomas Dawson, settled in Md., emigrated 1630s. This is all I have about him.
4. John Dawson, emigrated 1630's transported to Henrico Co. in 1636. This John is the father of a Martin
which I believe is where you start your listing. ???? {My listing only has one Martin here.} Martin's son {the
next generation 2 Martins in a row} John is the Captain John Dawson of p.229.

It appears that you have what in my research and Mary Roy's also is a possible missing link. Our research
had left a possible gap that appeared should have another generation in it. You show 2 Martins in a row
where I had only specifically found one and really too big a year spread with a question of 'Is something
missing?'

Generation 2A ----------------------------------
---this I don't have before now---Martin Dawson, 2 wives - Miss Gains and a Miss Carter.
I don't believe this Martin is the one with the will dated Sept. 1, 1808 probated Mar. 16, 1812; I think the
one with the will is the Martin of the next generation. Check the Rev War Vol II, pp 288-289: p.288 second
paragraph sourced to Charles Carroll Dawson's book discusses 2 Martin Dawsons but gives no conclusion.

Generation 3 ----------------------------------(Don Dawson numbering)
Martin Dawson b.1697/1715/1730, d. 1812, 1st wife Priscilla Sorrell (a relative of the unknown Sorrell that
eloped with John Dawson (my gen 2 above).

--------------------------------------------------------
Another separate question
I show the Martin that married Milly (Milley) Cox was the grandson on the Martin that married Priscilla
Sorrell. Where you show that he was the son. ????????
--------------------------------------------------------

I know it is very confusing. With 2, 3 and more each Johns and Henrys and Martins in each generation for
several in a row it gets very confusing.
"You ain't seen nothing yet!" In my direct ancestors from 1775 to 1875 there were several first cousin pairs
marrying, several Dawsons and Childresses, and another Childress and Hamner.

Don Dawson
1812 Sherwood Drive
Tallahassee, FL 32303
mailto:dondawson@the-oilman.com
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
HelenRiley44 6 Dec 1999 3:15PM GMT 
Don Dawson 15 Jan 2000 3:10PM GMT 
BETSEY 17 Jan 2000 7:19PM GMT 
marilyndawson... 18 Jan 2000 11:13PM GMT 
Don Dawson 19 Jan 2000 5:32PM GMT 
marilyndawson... 19 Jan 2000 9:22PM GMT 
Don Dawson 20 Jan 2000 5:35PM GMT