Search for content in message boards

Dewey-Berry Feud, Rawlins County, Kansas

Replies: 7

Dewey-Berry Feud, Rawlins County, Kansas

Posted: 27 Jul 2003 4:08AM GMT
Classification: Query
Greetings Dewey descendants!

I'm seeking information on the DEWEY-BERRY"Feud". On June 3, 1903, Chauncey DEWEY and at least two other men killed Daniel, Alpheus and Burch BERRY in Rawlins County, Kansas. I understand that Chauncey DEWEY was the head of (or a member of) a prominent cattle ranching family. Daniel BERRY and his sons were farmers. I'm not sure what started the 'feud' but I have heard it may have been over water rights. I know that DEWEY, Clyde WILSON and W.J. MCBRIDE were charged with murder and bound over for trial in Cheyenne County, Kansas which supposedly occurred in December of 1903.

I would appreciate any information anyone can supply about this event. I understand there was even a ballad written about it (at least one copy of the ballad is reported to be in the Konza Collection at Kansas State's Hale Library). I am a BERRY researcher and first became interested in this event after seeing a photograph that appeared in the TIME LIFE, THE OLD WEST series, specifically the volume entitled "The Cowboys". The photo depicted the aftermath of the shootout at, I believe, the BERRY's farm.

Zen
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
ZenCity 27 Jul 2003 10:08AM GMT 
jonefab 2 Sep 2003 2:50AM GMT 
Jones,G. 14 Nov 2003 12:33AM GMT 
Tom Howell 29 Feb 2004 1:02AM GMT 
Dinah Faber 15 Nov 2003 6:44PM GMT 
travisberry1 20 Sep 2007 8:36PM GMT 
hempridge 17 Jan 2013 3:19PM GMT 
Steve Berry 4 Oct 2013 7:59PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic