Search for content in message boards

james dolan, b 1792, roscommon; Boston MA

Replies: 15

james dolan, b 1792, roscommon; Boston MA

Posted: 25 Mar 2008 7:12PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: dolan, adams, jennings, crosby, hughes, leonard, neil, gately, conroy
I'd be interested in finding more about other descendents of my great-great-grandfather, James Dolan, and about his background in Ireland.

James was born in Ireland in about 1792, son of Matthew and Margaret; his naturalization papers say he came from Roscommon. He married Mary Gately, then came to Boston MA (via St. John, NB) in 1841 with their children Ellen (Eleanor), Rose (Rosanna), Anne, John, and James Jr. They lived in the South End (Boston), then Roxbury, and finally Dorchester. James died in 1874.

James was a grocer; the store was taken over by Rosanna after her marriage to Robert Neil. They had 2 daughters Mary A. (b 1856) and Ellen (b 1857.)

His daughter Ellen or Eleanor married Michael Leonard, a contractor; their children include Michael Jr, William, Edward, James, and John.

His son John (b 1830) was a partner in a liquor dealership in Boston with Lawrence Hughes. He married Bridget Jennings in 1854 and moved to Waltham MA a few years later. His children include John W. Dolan (an inspector for US Immigration), Maria, Nellie, Thomas, and Annie.

His son James (b 1837), my great-grandfather, married Helen Crosby (b. in Gardiner Maine in about 1841, daughter of Michael Crosby and Bridget Conroy). They had had 9 children of whom two died in childhood. I know something of all of them except Frederick, b. 1872.
• Oldest son, Robert John, (b. 1858, married to Margaret Mitchell), died in his 30s, leaving orphans James Stephen, Walter L., and Marie L Dolan. They were raised by their grandparents, Luke and Mary Mitchell, in Dorchester.
• Second son James W. was an undertaker, as were his younger brothers, George and Charles B.; the Dolan Funeral Home which they founded at Fields Corner is still operated by family members today in Lower Mills (Dorchester) and East Milton, MA.
• Daughter Anna (b. 1880) was a drummer in an all-woman band; I’d really like to know more about her!
• Daughter Minnie married a firefighter, Robert Adams in 1900.

Except for the Waltham branch, all these people lived in Boston/Roxbury/Dorchester MA through the 19th century.

I have more information on the family and would love to hear from anyone who knows more about where they come from in Ireland (Dolan and Crosby) and descendents of the Neils, Leonards, and the Waltham Dolans.

Thanks! Pat Dolan
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
snapperblue 26 Mar 2008 1:12AM GMT 
follieskate 15 Jan 2009 11:08PM GMT 
snapperblue 16 Jan 2009 12:15AM GMT 
follieskate 16 Jan 2009 10:11PM GMT 
jfkiss406 22 Nov 2012 5:21PM GMT 
jitka42 22 Nov 2012 5:31PM GMT 
mstarrkc1 23 Mar 2010 1:16AM GMT 
snapperblue 23 Mar 2010 12:08PM GMT 
mstarrkc1 23 Mar 2010 8:34PM GMT 
snapperblue 23 Mar 2010 11:46PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions