Search for content in message boards

Dougherty Family of Spencer Co. Indiana & Daviess Co. Kentucky

Replies: 1

Dougherty Family of Spencer Co. Indiana & Daviess Co. Kentucky

Posted: 12 Jan 2007 2:02PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Dougherty, Hester, Hollingsworth, Bartlett, Duke
My great-grandmother was Amanda J. Dougherty, born March 1863, in Indiana, to Moses Dougherty, born in Indiana, and Amelia Anna Hester, born in Kentucky. I have only recently been able to determine (hopefully) that Amanda did have brothers, James, b. abt 1864, William, b. abt 1868, Leander, b. abt 1872, and Robert, b. abt 1876, and at least one sister, Mary Elizabeth "Lizzie", born abt. 1884. Dates are based on the 1880 Spencer Co. Indiana census, and on Lizzie's marriage record.

Moses Dougherty died between 1876 and 1879, as Anna remarried in January, 1880, to Paul Kromel/Kramel. Anna died in June 1882 in Spencer Co., and her 6 month old daughter, Katie, died in July, 1882.

The two girls were not on the 1880 cenus and are believed to have already crossed the river into Daviess County, KY.

Mary Elizabeth Dougherty, born in Spencer Co. IN , living in Owensboro, Daviess County, KY married Julius R. Hollingsworth, of Daviess Co. KY., son of James R. and Cynthia M. Hollingsworth, on 10 July 1882, in Spencer County, Indiana. Amanda Jane Dougherty, married her first husband, Walter Hester, in 1888, and divorced in 1896. She married her second, James Duke, in 1896, both the marriages and the divorce was in Daviess Co. Kentucky.

According to Amanda's obituary, in May 1924, her brother, William, and sister, Lizzie Bartlett, was still alive and both living in Rockport, Spencer Co., Indiana.

I would like to find out what happened to the children of Moses and Anna Dougherty and where Moses and Anna were married and buried. I have not found a license for Moses and Anna in either Spencer Co., In. or Daviess County, KY, but I feel they spent their married life in Spencer County.
I could have totally missed the license while searching.

Any help on this family would truly be appreciated. I know I have Dougherty cousins out there somewhere.

Thanks, Linda J.
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
lrjkats 12 Jan 2007 9:02PM GMT 
tercuman7374 15 Dec 2012 10:21PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic